stage 2, well almost - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

ajtoce is more helpful than not
self tuning is difficult and the ap is a good device that will tune for you but its also a great platform to learn how to tune. im very glad that i saved up and bought it. saves a ton of time and effort and has a lot of great tools on it

God is love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
no more need to worry and scold me lol im buying an ap friday afternoon. i feel like a little kid on christamas or something i cant wait to get it. how ever ill just be using the stage one flash for a while, untill i can save up for a DP. can anyone tell me what kind of fuel economy you guys get with the economy map on your wrx ?
#18 Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I honestly got just as good gas mileage with both stage one and stage two if you drive properly. The economy map kind of sucks, it cuts back boost and all. If you drive stage one properly or without getting on it every chance you get its just as economical IMO.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
lol thats exactly what the guy who sold me his old v1 ap said. But i have a tendancy to get on it alot and with the economy flash its almost depressing to get on it so i just drive it like a grandma, it helps me save gas.
#20 Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Since were talking about going stage 2, I'm about to do the same with my 02 rex. It has 89000 miles, I bought a cheap no name brand turbo back exhaust of ebay for like 300 bucks, and I'm gonna get the cobb access port. I'll probably run it with no tune for a couple weeks. Any thoughts on the cheap exhausts?
#21 Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd recommend waiting until you get your AP to install the downpipe so you can flash to a Stage 2 map right away. Otherwise, you might throw a CEL and your car won't be running to its full potential. You can install the cat back any time though if it fits. My thoughts on cheap-o exhausts are that the welds sometimes tend to rust and develop leaks, you might experience fitment issues, and you might eventually have to pay more money to buy another exhaust after you get tired of dealing with those issues. Sometimes people do have good luck with them and they can last a while... it's really a bit of a gamble. Also, if you haven't already done so, be sure to buy a new turbo-to-downpipe gasket and use a fresh downpipe-to-cat back gasket when you install the whole thing. Good luck!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#22 Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Turbo back is going on tomorrow. Yea the gaskets came with it luckily. The welds actually look pretty legit. (I mean I'm no machinest or anything, I guess we'll see). I got the cobb access port in transit right now, probably get it early next week sometime. My only other question is, I also have a K&N typhoon CAI, will that be a pro, con, or matter at all with the stage 2 map from cobb?
#23 Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's a con for sure. The only intakes that have been proven to work with Cobb's off the shelf maps are the Cobb short ram and the SPT short ram. Read the map notes very carefully and try to stick to them as best you can. Cobb's maps unfortunately don't take very kindly to cold air intakes. My guess is you'll run rough and/or throw codes pretty quickly.

If your AP is on the way, it shouldn't be a problem installing the tbe and running it for a week or two. Just try not to push it too hard. I think the problem is greater with a catless tbe on a WRX with the 2.5 L engine without engine management - boost spiking issues or something of the sort. The 2.0 L WRX engine should be fine either catted or catless without em for a short period of time if you're somewhat easy on it.

John
#24 Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea the turbo back has cats and I think your right on the 2.5 wrx's being more cranky. I might just end up gettin the cobb short ram intake, I think its only like a hundred bucks. I guess I'll see what happens with CAI and cobb map in the meantime.(I don't really want nor feel like reinstalling the stock intake).
#25 Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sounds good.. you might want to get the heat shield too then. I know it's a little ugly, but it works pretty well. Keep us posted.

John
#26 Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You really think the heatshield is ugly? I love the look of the heatshield/box, much better than an open filter just "hanging" there, thats just my .02 cents though.

Heres what mine looks like (a little dirty, and have since added the Cobb post maf tube also).
Attached Images

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#27 Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
The turboback is on, sounds good, pretty loud, but nice.(You can't be too loud with that sweet boxer) Already popped a CEL though, knew that was coming. I should have the AP in a few days. My only worry is how the tranny is going to hold up. I'm not hard on it, but it still freaks me out when reading all the forums on how weak the 02's are. I can't imagine the heat sheild really does that much, I mean the air in there is still hot, even if you sheild it.
#28 Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM

You would be surprised. I dont have or havent had the chance to use something to actually measure it. But I have drove with the cover off. The air on the outside of the box is definetly warmer than what is in the box. And using the intake temp feature of the Cobb AP, you notice almost 5-8 degress diffrence between the stock box and the Cobb box.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
I believe it is a little cooler, I'm sure your right about the 5 to 8 degrees. But, how does 5 to 8 degrees do for your power gain? I mean, if I pump my tires to the right PSI it would probably help performance too. I'm not tryin to argue, I'm just sayin I don't feel like it's worth it. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact I'm supposed to take my CAI off with the stage 2 map. How can it be that much different than the cobb SF intake? Maybe I'll find out the hard way(I hope not).
#30 Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM

The thing with a CAI is the bend that usually occurs right before the MAF, or the "new" positioning of the MAF that makes them bad. A professional tune solves the issue(s). As far as power gain goes, my tuner just used it as a "stock" setup for now. When the next tune comes I will be adding more parts and of course tunring up boost and looking for a more aggressive tune.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"