stage 2, well almost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
stage 2, well almost

so i got my uppipe in for safety and im getting ready to order a downpipe. first off i know im not a legit stage 2 untill i get a tune or a em tool. and i wanted to ask if its safe to run the DP without a tune. from what i know, i think it would cause no harm to my engine as far as boost etc. and im not just saying this to get outa paying for a tune, i am going to get one down the road i just dont have the cash atm. and yes i know i wont get the full power gains without the tune. i am going to get a catless dp. will i run into any issue's here with the o2 sensor or will it still funcion fine ? im thinking about getting the R*SR DP. i know some of you out there have one and i want to hear from you guys, how was fitment and how satisfied are you with it. my second option is the cobb DP. i know cobb is a good brand its just a little pricey. i know the quality of the cobb dp will be greater then the R*SR dp but is that the only advantage ? (yes the R*SR is a bellmouth.) as far as gaskets i know to get the oem ones. what about buying a used DP off a wrecked suby or something ? do you guys think it would be safe to use ? any other suggestions on DP's would be nice. lemme know what you guys are running with.

If you cant tell im driving a 04 wrx and i believe the turbo in the 04's are boost creep free ? so by running catless or highflow catted DP i wouldnt have to worry about boost creep, please correct me if im wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
This answer is only valid for 02-05 WRX EJ205 powered cars:
You don't need EM with a downpipe. However, it is strongly recommended.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
The difference between COBB and SR*S is quality and fitment. Won't you get a CEL if you are running catless without a tune? You could always store the downpipe somewhere and then install it once you get a tune.
#4 Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Garage
you may get a CEL if you run a catless downpipe without a tune. You can fix this without tuning though. All that is required is a resistor. 2.2kohm

#5 Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
ya i did the 1/2 watt 2.2kohm resistor trick for the egt sensor. u can do the same thing for the DP's o2 sensor i assume then ? is that healthy for your engine though ? and tune wise, what would you guys lean too. an actual pro tune or and Engine management tool ? i think i would have more fun and feel like im getting more out of a EM tool like the cobb ap but its $700.00 and i think thats just rediculous... does cobb have a finance plan ? lol
#6 Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
i ran my catless up pipe and catless down pipe for half a year without a tune and i raced a lot. But i definelty do not recommend it. i was running so rich im surprised my engine didnt blow. CEL did pop up after a week, it was my emission control unit. my friend tunes my stock ecu but the code is still bein thrown. GET THE TUNE, u already need it with the up pipe anyway
#7 Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Don't do the DP till you have EM.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#8 Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
what would you guys reccomend though, a pro tune or something like a cobb ap or something along those lines ?
#9 Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Unless you are getting tuned with open source, you will have to buy an AP,UTEC,EcuTek License or standalone unit before you can get a protune. There is at least one open source tuner in the Arlington, WA area. His name is Dom Acia and here is his website: MPS™ ::# Custom Tuning Services## “Get a Dom Tune!”®

#10 Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RenoSTi is an unknown
I'd recommend getting the Cobb AP and then a protune.
#11 Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
i have another question... if i were to buy an married cobb ap off of someone would cobb reset it to defaults if i sent it into them, has anyone tried this ?
#12 Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04wrxhart View Post
i have another question... if i were to buy an married cobb ap off of someone would cobb reset it to defaults if i sent it into them, has anyone tried this ?
That would be stealing and no they wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for that.

You should look into open source tuning. It's free.

#13 Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
ya i did the 1/2 watt 2.2kohm resistor trick for the egt sensor. u can do the same thing for the DP's o2 sensor i assume then ?l
No, it doesn't work like that. You need an o2 simulator. They usually consist of various resistors and/or capacitors. If you're handy with electronics, you can probably build one yourself.

I will be another say that you don't necessary need a tune, but it's HIGHLY recommended. I ran stage2 without a tune for about 2.5 years on my 04.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
They will do that. You would have to pay a stupid amount of money for them to reset it. They make it almost as expensive as buying a new one.

#15 Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
You will love stage 2 though. Flashing to stock tomorrow :*(. Going to miss the stage 2 power!