Stage 2 improvements - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rug-Emporium is an unknown
Stage 2 improvements

So I've been stage 2 for a while and I wanted a bit more but I can't see myself spending the money to do more extreme mods like a larger turbo + supporting mods, so I simply want to get more out of the stocker. This my daily driver so reliability and mpg is a concern, I don't race, track, or autocross mainly want more low to mid torque and a few more horses; basically just a more enjoyable well rounded car.

The mods I have been considering are:
Ceramic coating the downpipe, there is a shop not too far from me that can do it but I'm not sure how much gain this will give me as my downpipe is catted so they would only be able to coat the outside.

PnP & coated Grimmspeed headers, on the fence about this one because I'd probably lose some low end, not sure if I'd need the larger x-over pipe or not.

Grimmspeed PnP & coated TD04 sounds neat but it looks like they don't have an exchange option available.

Turbo inlet and Y pipe sound like the easiest, could be done in a single afternoon, but not sure how much gain vs cost.

3-Port Boost Control Solenoid heard these are nice but I understand I'd need a tune before I could drive after the install.

STI intercooler or aftermarket intake would be neat but my understanding is there wouldn't be any gain with the TD04.

I can do these installs in my driveway weather permitting, but downtime longer than the weekend isn't preferable. I do realize I need a custom tune I simply wanted to finish engine mods so I wouldn't have to keep going back and getting retuned.

Thanks for reading all of that, please chime in with your thoughts and opinions regarding the mods I've considered or others that I have overlooked.

Car: 05 WRX Wagon
Mods:
Helix catted downpipe (stock cat-back)
OTS Open source stage 2 EM
K&N drop-in air filter
STI up-pipe
Perrin lightweight crank pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
You could always get it protuned?
#3 Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

06dubbrx ltd is an unknown
IMO, pnp exhaust manifold, TGV deletes, phenolic spacers, fuel pump, larger 650cc injectors and get it dyno tuned. A good cai should help too. I've read that if you pnp the rurbo, it makes your car run alot smoother, and gives you better low-mid range power. And i believe the tgv deletes give you a little better top end aswell.
#4 Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Fan_0717 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rug-Emporium View Post

The mods I have been considering are:
Ceramic coating the downpipe, there is a shop not too far from me that can do it but I'm not sure how much gain this will give me as my downpipe is catted so they would only be able to coat the outside.

Waste of money

PnP & coated Grimmspeed headers, on the fence about this one because I'd probably lose some low end, not sure if I'd need the larger x-over pipe or not.

No you won't, that's the point of ported stockers. The gain however is pretty minimal for the amount invested. Decent if you plan to stay "like stock". Otherwise a tubular will net a lot more. (i had both UEL, EL, and Grimms w/ V2) I choose Gruppe-S Ceramic Header for ya

Grimmspeed PnP & coated TD04 sounds neat but it looks like they don't have an exchange option available.

Say good bye to gas mileage

Turbo inlet and Y pipe sound like the easiest, could be done in a single afternoon, but not sure how much gain vs cost.

Excellent upgrade

3-Port Boost Control Solenoid heard these are nice but I understand I'd need a tune before I could drive after the install.

You will over boost like a sunamabi***. You need to lower your WDC no tune necessary. But, you don't really need one. I say get one and get protuned for 22psi.

STI intercooler or aftermarket intake would be neat but my understanding is there wouldn't be any gain with the TD04.

Yes there will (IC) not for the Intake. Keep the drop in until you go at least 18g or bigger.
Your welcome.

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
#5 Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Also a 255 should already be in there.

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
#6 Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06dubbrx ltd View Post
IMO, pnp exhaust manifold, TGV deletes, phenolic spacers, fuel pump, larger 650cc injectors and get it dyno tuned. A good cai should help too. I've read that if you pnp the turbo, it makes your car run alot smoother, and gives you better low-mid range power. And i believe the tgv deletes give you a little better top end aswell.
My impression was I didn't need larger injectors, especially that much larger, unless I was upgrading to a bigger turbo; same with the fuel pump. I'll have to look at phenolic spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Fan_0717 View Post
No you won't, that's the point of ported stockers. The gain however is pretty minimal for the amount invested. Decent if you plan to stay "like stock". Otherwise a tubular will net a lot more. (i had both UEL, EL, and Grimms w/ V2) I choose Gruppe-S Ceramic Header for ya
So the PnP stockers don't lose any lowend despite being enlarged? I'm not looking at aftermarket headers because I'm trying to keep costs down.
#7 Old 11-29-2008, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

There are far more things for you to do before TGVs IMO. The Phelonic Spacers well, they're one of those to do if you're doing the deletes i wouldn't go out of the way to do it. I have the 8mm one BTW. You don't really need TGV deletes unless you start making over 300wheel and you start getting the dip on the far right of the sheet.

I would wait on the injectors. Not really needed for BPUs. Bigger turbo then yes.

Well, you won't loose enough to really notice anything with ported stockers. You will however, get a large increase in midrange perf. The only time where there is a considerable difference is with EL headers.

Uh, i would do a FP. It's cheap insurance. Seriously dude get a fuel pump as the next mod. Requires no tuning or nothing just drop it in.
I always recommend people to get a Walbro and WBo2 before modding.....but that's me.

I would say in order FP, CBE, WBo2, and ported stockers or a Gruppe-S header, and an inlet.

#8 Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

If I got an STI TMIC would that negate the need for the Y pipe? I think I heard it uses a different shape or something, and would I need the STI hoop scoop?
#9 Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yea just get the STi don't get the Y.

I mean you don't need the scoop (don't believe). But, if you plan on keeping the TM it couldn't hurt.

Worry about a thing called a Walbro first.

Edit: Well you still need the Y-pipe on/for the STi intercooler. I meant don't get a hose kit for a rex IC and turn around to buy the STi IC.
Save the 100 bucks and put it towards a STi IC.

#10 Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Worry about a thing called a Walbro first.
Yea, I'll probably do that I just prefer to do an excessive amount of research before actually buying anything. So a PnP stock turbo will kill my mpg? Is it because it'll get into boost too quickly? Are the grimmspeed 3mm Phenolic spacers worthwhile? Lastly would I need the larger x-over pipe with PnP stock headers?
#11 Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
anything that increases the air flow will require more fuel, so you mpg will suffer because of it.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#12 Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
anything that increases the air flow will require more fuel, so you mpg will suffer because of it.
Right, but on the other hand it won't have to work as hard forcing the air through the exhaust/turbo so it'll run more efficiently at the same power output correct?
#13 Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Let's just put this in perspective. You want to do upgrades but you don't want to spend the money for it. The most your gonna be see with the stock turbo no matter, if you got TGV deletes, turbo inlet, bigger intercooler, external wastegate, port and polish everything...your most likely at gonna hit 255WHP around there at 20-21psi on the stock turbo. Its already been done but the amount of money to make it happen is basically the same or more over the amount its worth in some people's point of view. If you intend on no turbo upgrade then that's where you stand. Regardless you would need a tune after a certain amount of upgrades. Good Luck.
#14 Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Yea just get the STi don't get the Y.
If you get the STI TMIC...you'll need the STI IC pipe. It uses a different angle and will not work with the standard IC pipe.
#15 Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I had my manifolds PnP and coated and use the first design (no flex) Grimmspeed high flow crossover. Worthwhile mods, and not a big investment. Underhood heat management is always worth the effort IMO.

I used to run a big TMIC (godspeed) and a larger scoop makes a difference, for certain.

As for the turbo, there's the Deadbolt TD04 route, which I believe they have cores for, but they're not cheap.

If you don't have a tuner nearby (like me) There's outfits like PDX. I'm still running the maps they made for me and am very happy with them and their service.