Stage 2: Downpipe w/ Stock Exhaust Question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

acqui is an unknown
Stage 2: Downpipe w/ Stock Exhaust Question

I was wondering if anyone here is running Stage 2 Cobb downpipe with the stock exhaust? I've done some research and it seems there shouldn't be any issues per se, however, I am wondering how much power I'll be giving up by not running a catback. Is there a change in the sound level? The only catback I've heard that I would want is a Prodrive and sans that, I'd rather just keep my stock setup. I may consider a Borla Hush if I can hear one in person. The other issue that I came across was that of boost creep? A few people mentioned that they experienced that with this setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Borla Hush cat back...

I ran my stock cat back for a while and never noticed any real difference in performance, but my current one is VERY LOUD!!!! You should be fine running the stock one...Oh and I never had a problem with boost creep ever, no matter what setup I ran. I my have been lucky though.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Been running a bellmouth catless DP with the stock exhaust for a couple years. I can tell you from first hand experience at a drag strip that there is no loss of power there, having run identical times with both a wide open DP and stock. I recently changed out the muffler to an Aeroturbine 2540 recently and love the sound.

Cullen
post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

acqui is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Been running a bellmouth catless DP with the stock exhaust for a couple years. I can tell you from first hand experience at a drag strip that there is no loss of power there, having run identical times with both a wide open DP and stock. I recently changed out the muffler to an Aeroturbine 2540 recently and love the sound.
I've been trying to find a Subaru sound clip with your setup on Youtube but nothing so far. Did you ever upload anything since installing it?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Not yet, I'll see if somebody at work has a recording device

Cullen
post #6 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

acqui is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Not yet, I'll see if somebody at work has a recording device
Thanks. I wonder what sort of numbers (hp/tq) people are getting with just a dp/stock exhaust and going to stage 2. I've seen such a variance of numbers that I am not sure what to expect. If I can get 275 to the crank, I would be very happy.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If they are getting any gains its next to not noticable. I got tuned with a DP and stock CBE, good numbers, then switched to a cheap CBE, which hurt me as it had a leak, then got the Cobb CBE with the Cobb DP and never got another run, but didnt feel any difference which means if there were gains it would have been hard to quantify on a dyno as the time, temp, all that was different so the numbers would have been different.

Get a good TBE, IC, 3 port BCS, injectors, and a good tune and you will love the car.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"