Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stage 1 -14.2psi....

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
Hey everybody!
Im moving quickly through the modification check list and i was hoping to find out weather or not i'm on target! As theres no better sourse of knowledge and expirance here i am! so the car is an 04 WRX with a K&N typhoon and a greddy 3" Catback i recently installed my AP (stage 1 91oct) and she's haulin some ass!! i'm making 14.5 psi at full boost.

Now i have a Invidia catless up and a HKS catless down ready to be installed when ever i pull the trigger... buuut!! i would like to make sure i'm on target for the proper numbers as i've read that running more than 15psi on the stock turbo becomes a bit risky and i'm pretty much there after the Stage one..

So you guys think this is right were i should be? have any of you ran similar numbers with similar mods? should i go ahead and go catless?? or are there some issues i should know about before i pull the trigger!!

Any and all feed back is welcome!
Thanks boys!

hahahah ps this is friggen awesome--->:beatentod

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't heard of any issues running more than 15 psi on the 04's. If I'm remembering correctly the COBB Stage II will push you up to 16.5 psi, Stage I is around 15 +/- a bit. You're on target right now and Stage II won't be a big strain on the car. Tons of guys here are Stage II and higher.

#4 ·
My stage 2 on my 07 was around 17-18PSI, not a single problem at all. When I pulled my stock turbo off for upgrade, my shop said I had one of the cleanest used turbos that they had ever seen. Granted I only ran stage 2 for about 6-7 months and never beat on the car too much either.

#7 ·
I'm running on my 04 about 15.3 at max boost in 3rd gear with about your set up plus i got my catless up and down on. im making 256whp and 249wtq with a tune and no turbo problems at all. (8months with this set up with out the tune) and ( about 2 month with the tune)

#8 ·
Beauty,
i appreciate the info guys, i really wanted to make sure i'm in the right spot before i moved forward.. i kinda just went and picked everything up all at once..ended up getting a better deal that way. i'm stoked as it gets tho..stage 1 was impressive...i'm thinkiin stage 2 we'll be serious!!

#9 ·
I have a full turbo back, K&N SRI, and cobb stage 2 flash via the AP on my 02 bugeye. Like others have said, I get about 14-14.5 psi in 2nd and 3rd (don't even punch it in first because I'm afraid of breaking the gear, so don't know bout boost in that one). 4th and 5th gear I'm usually around 16.5 max boost, although the most I've recorded was 17.3 psi. O yea, and I have close to 100k on her with no problems! Yes I have a stock tranny with a heavy duty clutch that's been on for the last 50k miles. (Who said it had a glass tranny:nono:) Anywayz, don't worry about your turbo boosting to much, your engine is bullet proof, and even if you fry your turbo (which I doubt you will) upgrade to a bigger an better one.!Thumbs Up Careful with the launches though, tranny is the only thing ya need to worry about.

#11 ·
I guess it depends how literal you take my statement (when I say bulletproof, I mean it's a solid engine). His orignal question stressed more concern on his stock turbo over boosting, which with his setup and stage 2 tune after the DP is put in, is NOT going to hurt the engine unless there are some unforseen problems. The real worry would be hurting the turbo if anything, but that's an easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade depending what you choose. My point is: if there is a strong part to a wrx, it's gotta be that little boxer (I don't think its the tranny). And I do agree, "negligence will kill any engine".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.