ssautochrome.com???????? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Isn't SSAC an Ebay brand? I'm one of those beleivers of you get what you pay for. I personally hate not having knowledge about a product, and the reassurity (dunno if thats a real word) of it being great quality...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
For me I will stick with the stock wrx intercooler for a while still. I would take a STi one if someone gave it to me. There are a lot of things I need to upgrade before my intercooler.
#18 Old 10-22-2008, 04:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I limit on my STi intercooler with even just a small 16G... If you have anything larger than stock on there, you really aught to look at a larger intercooler.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
2.5 liters and a td04-13t. I threw a rod and figured why not get a bigger motor but I am still waiting for the money to get my tdo5-18g.
#20 Old 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yah I would probably go with something more brand named then those, I am going to be running a fp16g with the cobb map and they say using the sti tmic is more then enough so if your thinking about running a setup like that a sti tmic might be fine and you could probably get one used in good condition for a good price.

Dream Evil
#21 Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Garage
Yes, definitely. That map is not aggressive for the turbo. It's a base map. If you wanted a custom tune with that turbo, you may limit through the intercooler but if you're just running a base map from the AP, the STi TMIC (or any of the others mentioned here) should work fine.

#22 Old 10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
So would the sti tmic not be a good idea if im planning to get a more aggressive map? Does any one know of the top of there heads how much psi it will run with the cobb map?

Dream Evil
#23 Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 PM

Garage
Think it's 17PSI? Could be wrong. That's just a guess.

It's hard to tell you to get a bigger intercooler because the injectors on that base map are quite small (STi Pinks) so even if you wanted to push the turbo more, you will be fuel limited too.

The Cobb 16G map ain't that great if you're longterm goals are more. You likely would have wanted the larger compressor 16Gs out there (like the E3-16G) along with bigger injectors. Neither of which you can use with that base map so it isn't just the STi Intercooler that's the issue.

#24 Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Alright, Yeah I was talking to the guys at cobb I believe he said 18psi, I also talked to some tuners and they said for my goals the cobb tune would be pretty much perfect and if I wanted a little more out of it to give them a call because usually they can get a extra 15-20 hp or something along those lines.

Dream Evil
#25 Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Garage
Really you got to decide how much you want to chew off. The AP map small 16G is a lot less power than a custom tuned E3-16G. Personally, I'd just go for it. It's cheaper to do this once than to keep chipping away at it.

#26 Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Well basically Like I said this is my daily driver I am not planning on racing this car frequently I just want it to be a little faster. 260-280 is my target whp range, and high mid-high 12's on the quarter mile is my other goal. I don't want to go to crazy because I want it to still be a practical car MPG wise as well as I don't want to risk blowing my trans. I see where your coming from though it would suck to do this then regret it and want more power but If from what every one is saying is true that I will really see very big gains then I don't think I have much to worry about.

Dream Evil
#27 Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Garage
You will see gains like you did between stock and Stage 2 except vs stage 2 and the 16G map.

#28 Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Nice, As long as I hit my goals or come relatively close and I can undoubtedly feel the gains I will be satisfied I just didn't want to run the set up and like not really see it to well.

Dream Evil
#29 Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

matty2shoes is an unknown
yeah. i never planned on using that cheap BOV that they threw in. i had a Turbo XS type-h that i tried use on the ssautchrome intercooler but it hit the intake manifold a little so i put the stock BOV back on. nice and quiet. And the SSAC intercooler fits perfect. does not rub on the AC lines and mounts to the factory brackets on both sides. very happy.
#30 Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Garage
The SSAC TMIC is a nice product, no doubt. Especially for the small price they ask. It fits pretty well. The problem with it is though that it's not that big. It's about the size of the stock STi TMIC. Granted that's a decent upgrade for the WRX (especially the 06-07), but it's simply not big enough for anything but a fairly small turbo. Perrin or APS intercoolers are roughly TWICE as big.