SR30, Cobb Accessport question... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-02-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

2PullupEddie is an unknown
Question SR30, Cobb Accessport question...

I have read and read, searched and searched and I just haven't found anything that really addresses my concern exactly.

Current Mods:
Cobb TBE
Cobb AccessPort
Enkei Evo 6's
Nitto NT 555's
Green High Flow Air filter

Ordered and waiting for everything to come in before install:
S/R30 APS Turbo
Supra TT Fuel Pump
STi Pinks
APS UpPipe
Omori EGT and Boost Gauges
Uego A/F Ratio Guage (Wideband)
STi (OEM) TMIC
TurboSmart Dual Port BOV
Cobb Sports Springs
Cobb front and rear sway bars

Goal:
To reach as close to 300WHP as possible while maintaining reliability of engine. Looking for the power to hit in the lower end as I don't drag or hit the track. But I do partake in some very spirited street drivinghttp://wrxtuners.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=52#
Sneaky

Concern (I haven't contacted Cobb yet):
I noticed that Cobb has an AccessPort map for a VF34 Turbo (which, after reading many posts, is comparable to the S/R30). However the mapping doesn't take into account the UpPipe and the larger intercooler. Will using the VF34 map cause any problems because it doesn't factor in the larger intercooler? Will there be a potential for the car to run too lean thus higer EGT? (stupid question?) Do you think that the Cobb StreetTuner Software would optimize my mods better? If so do you think that my clueless arse could tune it without killing the car?

Suggestions, and thoughts on mod choices would be nice too.

If this issue has been addressed somewhere else give me hell and then kindly point me in the right direction.

There are some very knowledgeble folks here at WRXTuners and I am hoping to benefit from their insight.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
i guess you could use the VF34 map however i would not reccommend it. if i were you i would get their street tuner system, and get your car dyno tuned. that will be the only way to get the most power out of your mods, and most of all do it safely!
post #3 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

insanity500 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to insanity500
I'm sorry that this isn't answering your question, but how much did all of that cost you?

-Chris
post #4 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Knot4: I think your right. If I am going put this much dough in the Sube then I probably should drop the cash for the StreetTuner too.

Insanity500: Well it all started with a great deal on the S/R30 (850.00 new). With such a "bargain" I felt obliged to do the rest. As you might imagine there was a lot of arm twisting involved.
As far as it all costs...does it really matter? After I mash the accelerator for the first time when it is all complete I know I will be oh so happy
post #5 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

insanity500 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to insanity500
Haha, very true. Have fun!

-Chris
post #6 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
without a doubt.

there is little reason to throw thousands of dollats worth of parts on your car only to have them not work, and hinder the reliability of your car.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 05:05 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Cancel the order on the STi TMIC or sell it and get somethign like a TXS or APS or Perrin TMIC. Or just go get a Perrin FMIC or APS FMIC. Give Cobb and call and see what they say. If I were to guess their response, they are gonna say get the StreetTuner and then start w/ their VF34 map and tune it to get max potential, or take it to a dyno tuner.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

IBAUCLAPlaya:
Good guess about Cobb's response. They said that I need to get it proTuned. The fella I talked to wasn't hip on the idea of me using the VF34 map with the S\R30. He said that they have done no testing with the S/R30 at all. He said,"throwing that turbo in there with the VF34 map would be like throwing a match in a trash can. It might catch on fire or it might not." I figure that I could use the VF34 map to get me to the tuning shop once everything is installed. I will have to take it easy until then, I guess. That is the next mission now. finding a ProTunner near Columbus, Ohio that can do it right.
I was thinking about getting the StreetTuner SW but I would have no clue what I am doing. I can see it now, "what's this setting do..." BOOM "...darn it."

STi TMIC: I have read that it is a decent upgrade and I have heard the other way around. I got a decent deal on it so I figured what the heck. As you can see I am trying to single handedly financially support the tuning community. But if you think it is dangerous to the car let me know.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Last edited by 2PullupEddie; 10-03-2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #9 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not dangerous, but not worth it. Sell it and get a used TXS TMIC. To be honest, tuning a car isn't that bad, just get a wideband O2 sensor and go slow and READ! If you don't feel comfortable, throw the turbo and all the stuff on the car, take it to a shop and drive VERY conservatively, or even if you have AAA, get it towed there and then have them tune it...
post #10 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
id cancel the order on the SR30. IMHO its not worth the money when you can by a deadbolt turbo that is much better. And maybe think about bigger injectors.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

IBAUCLAPlaya: Why is the STi TMIC not worth the money? Why are the APS, TXS, etc... better ?
WRXtacy: Why is the Deadbolt better? Why do I need bigger injectors?
Learn me fellas.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM

STi TMIC just isn't that much bigger than stock, and teh APS, TXS and Perrin are.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
For that kinda level of modifications I receommend ditching the AP and getting UTEC...gives you much more control and tunablity...

And what was the 'issue' to address????

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
post #14 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

The "issue": I was wondering if the Cobb AP Vf34 map would work for the S/R30 until I can get the car proTuned.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
oh...I don't think there would be an issue with that as long as you aren't too ruff on the car/turbo until you are fulling tuned.

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement