spt catback exhaust? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

pollock is an unknown
spt catback exhaust?

if i orered a spt catback exhaust for my 02 wrx, does it come with a cat or do i have or order a high performance cat? or can i use the cat thats already on my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The SPT doesn't touch your cats, those are in front of it. Hence cat-back.

Keep the stock cats until you're ready to get tuned, then you can change the downpipe for aftermarket.

-Chris
post #3 of 3 Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I actually wondered the same thing when I was first considering purchasing an aftermarket exhaust for my car. Keep in mind this diagram is specific to 02-05 WRXs. 06+ WRXs and all STis don't have the catalytic converter in their uppipe (they come stock with catless up pipes). It is a really good idea to replace your stock uppipe with a catless version because over time, material can break apart and get sucked into the turbo, potentially causing expensive/catastrophic damage, especially when you increase your hp significantly over stock. Upgrading to a catless uppipe is more of a safety mod than anything else - your turbo might spool slightly faster and you might pick a few hp, but you probably won't notice it. If you choose to replace the uppipe, it's a good idea to do that at the same time as your down pipe since you'll have to take that off to get to it. Keep in mind also, that if you replace your downpipe, you'll also need to get some type of engine management (em) to safely run it (since you have an 02, you don't technically need em for your specific car with just an aftermarket turbo back exhaust, but it's very highly recommended). The cat back can be installed any time without em.

1. Read this: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
2. Come up with a plan
3. Save $
4. Go crazy
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement