spec c intercooler sprayer - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
spec c intercooler sprayer

dose the spec c intercooler sprayer do vary much for lightly modded wrx's? and what would a used one be worth?

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You talkin about the big tank that goes across behind the back seat ? The entire setup I would pay 125.00 if I didn't have the standard one already.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
ok and is it worth having? how much dose it effect the intake air temp?

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You talkin about the big tank that goes across behind the back seat ? The entire setup I would pay 125.00 if I didn't have the standard one already.
what standard one?

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Haha, shamrock. Good point...If you have an STI or added the STI intercooler sprayer. I guess that would be the standard one. Still makes me wonder why the 08s and above won't have a sprayer. Weird...yet, my silly local dealership still has it on the 08 stis' window stickers as a standard option. Its not a option at all.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
To answer the OP, usually it is very worth it, but it mostly depends on how much you pay for it. If you're paying like $500 for it, then i wouldn't do it, but if it is only between $100-$200, then it should be worth it. I don't know the statistics, but typically, they can increase hp by up to 30hp on cars with FMICs... (but then again, those are the more expensive stuff)

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #7 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
To answer the OP, usually it is very worth it, but it mostly depends on how much you pay for it. If you're paying like $500 for it, then i wouldn't do it, but if it is only between $100-$200, then it should be worth it. I don't know the statistics, but typically, they can increase hp by up to 30hp on cars with FMICs... (but then again, those are the more expensive stuff)
Uhhm..this is just a water sprayer for the TMIC's.It's not a cryo kit or meth injection.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
I didn't think it did much for hp, but allowed the car to burn fuel more effeciently because of the cooler air going in to the mix. Never read any really positive feedback about it.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Uhhm..this is just a water sprayer for the TMIC's.It's not a cryo kit or meth injection.
Oh, well then put ICE water in there.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
post #10 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
Oh, well then put ICE water in there.
i would think putting like a 1/4 tank of ice and the rest water would be really good! that would be some cold water so i would think it would double the affect on what it would normally do. i don't think i will get one for a long time if i ever do though.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 02:00 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You guys apparently forgot your physics. Raising the temperature of water is not very energy intensive. Causing it to evaporate is much more energy intensive. In other words, putting 35 degree water through the thing vs 85 degree water does virtually nothing different. If you want to use ice, exploit the phase change to water energy costs: Put the ice on the intercooler.

Water takes 2270 Joules to evaporate per gram (when it's already at 212F). That's heat coming off the intercooler and released into the air in water vapor. To raise liquid water a single degree C, it only takes 4.18 Joules (2.32 Joules for F). In other words:
To evaporate 1 gram of 35 degree water, it pulls 2270 + (212-35)*2.32 = 2681 Joules
To evaporate 1 gram of 85 degree water, it pulls 2270 + (212-85)*2.32 = 2565 Joules

So by using 50 degree cooler water, you have increased the cooling capacity by ((2681-2565)/2565) = 4.5%. DOUBLE my ass. I suggest researching "Specific Heat". Now, if you add in the heat transferred to the water vapor before it escapes the hood along with the fact that your 35 degree ice water in the tank ain't getting to the intercooler without a large drop along the way, 4.5% is way on the high side of the improvement.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #12 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You guys apparently forgot your physics.
No, i never forgot my physics, i've never even TAKEN physics yet! I thought that spraying the colder water onto the intercooler would work just like putting a bag of ice on the intercooler. But I think i know you're getting at. Or I could be just retarded. Are you trying to say, that like, the water ON the I/C will evaporate, therefore it.... nevermind I dont know and i'm just confusing the crap out of myself. I suppose it wouldn't stay cold very long anyway, the water would just evaporate off. Whatever, I'm 99.99% sure you know what you're talking about. So keep on rocking

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
post #13 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Ice on the intercooler has to do what to evaporate? It has to MELT! Melting takes energy. Then it gets heated (as shown, not much energy) and then it has to be bioled (as shown, takes a lot of energy). Ice in the tank is not touching the intercooler. It can only melt at it's own pace (perhaps chilling your trunk, big deal) and then travel as liquid water to the intercooler. The heat required to melt it was not pulled out of the intercooler.

Stick the ice on it directly though and the heat needed to melt the ice comes from, you guessed it, the intercooler.

Dispensing ice cubes automatically however is much harder than water. Thus, people generally just spray the thing with room temperature water. Want more cooling? Spray more water.

EDIT: The automatic ice cube dispenser wouldn't do that good anyway because the surface area of the ice touching the intercooler is much much smaller than it would be with liquid water. It would be more effective to put the ice on the intercooler than the water tank it's true, but neither actually make that much sense.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #14 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Yeah, I get it now. That would be hilarious though, to have an ice cube dispenser I can see it now... "Dang dude nice WRX! What you got done to it? Automatic Ice cube dispenser." Hahahahaha....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
post #15 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
i have no idea about physics so i just assumed that if the water was half the temp it would be double the cooling but now that i actualy take a nano second to think about it your right so sorry for the newb statment.