some quetions for the experienced - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
Gottcha, Thanks. Where did you go for youre Pro-tune?

Mosc, no need to upgrade internals, yet. Some are getting high 300whp with stock blocks. They are pretty strong and with a good tune and rare abuse will rackup some miles. If something happens, then ill do it or get a sti block (prefered).
Same goes with the trany. ill go to levelten for there stage2 trany upgrade when mine starts to go. Not realy interested in teh valve job because this is my daily driver. I realy like this car so im making it alittle better FOR ME. I enjoy driving my car for my pleasure, not trying to impress others .

when is the next meet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
we flew in Jorge (riftswrx on nabisco) to MD and i drove down to extreme motorsports with some others for pro tunes. Jorge has been around a long time and has tuned many many cars. He used to be die hard UTEC, then went to ECUtek, and now tunes with cobb's protuner. He prefers it to all others. More powerfull than a UTEC (more control), and easier than ECUtek (live tuning!).
post #18 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
jorge wuz just up north someplace doing the same. i could not get an appointment. I think he only had time for 5 cars. ill have to check out extrem. i did not know they had protuner.
cheers
post #19 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

i never said exreme had the protune Jorge has the protuner, not extreme, we just used their AWD dyno.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-18-2005, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
im sorry to say i think headers are a good mod you pick up good hp with them. Just make sure there UNEQUAL length not equal. and losing the low end thing is garbage because how much are you in low end? when you go to take off then your almost into mid range power where the headers will kick in.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtacy19
im sorry to say i think headers are a good mod you pick up good hp with them. Just make sure there UNEQUAL length not equal. and losing the low end thing is garbage because how much are you in low end? when you go to take off then your almost into mid range power where the headers will kick in.
Dyno results say differently. There are no headers that I've ever seen that make any power below 6000 rpm. Yes, you lose noticable low end power. Low end on a WRX is anything below 4000 rpm, so you are in low end a lot.

Headers work on the JDM engines they were designed for because they have a 9000 rpm redline. With a redline that high, you spend a lot of time over 6000 rpm, so it's not a bad mod. US engines have a 7000 rpm redline, so you gain very little power, if any, and none of it is in a usable range.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

people stuck on the whole header mod are usually stuck in NA 8 cyclinder mod mode. (say that four time fast! )

Did you ever wonder why we have cast iron exhaust manifolds? I'll give you a hint, it's not because they're the cheapest to produce.

it's for heat retention, which is VERY important PRE turbo. in turbocharged applications, heat retention + the closest posssible route from block to turbo will yield the overall best results for turbo spool, which on a 2L engine, that's where the power is at!

IMO, headers for our cars are right up there with KnN air filters.

I'm personally waiting for someone to design a mani that LOWERS the placement of our turbo essentially eliminating our "uppipe". Someone will make it, i just know it

and cosmo, i do believe non USDM STi's have a 8K redline, not 9
post #23 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaeater

and cosmo, i do believe non USDM STi's have a 8K redline, not 9
I was talking about the JDM STi motor. The 2.0L model.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

the JDM STi's redline is 8K, with fuel cut at ~8250. People are revving them higher with EM, 8500, some even rev them to 9K+, but that's not the OEM redline. . .
post #25 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well, as I've never driven a JDM car, I was just going on what I had been told. Way back when I first got into WRX's, I was going to get headers, and talked to Ali at Easy Street about them. He was the one that told me about the 9000 rpm redline and the pros and cons of headers (even was nice enough to send me dyno charts). But, the point is still valid no matter what the redline.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Isn't the USDM STi redline 7 k?
post #27 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes the usdm STi is 7K just like the rex. and the JDM is 8K. Yes some people rev them high, but that doens't set a 'new' redline the last time i checked cosmo. The OEM redline for a JDM STi is 8K. Some people rev them to 10K stock, doesn't make it right. Some people rev the usdm rex to 8K stock too, but would you? Living at high revs greatly reduces the lifespan of your engine, and you really don't make much power up there anyway.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, like I said, whether the redline is 8000 or 9000 or 10,000, the US WRX is 7000. And, headers don't do anything until 6500, so they are of little to no good to us. That's the whole point I was trying to make.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

oh, i thought you were reffering to the redline when you said 'the point is still valid', not the header thing. Yes i agree, headers are a marketing ploy for our cars. .. .