some quetions for the experienced - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
some quetions for the experienced

1) does the sti intake manifold flow more or better than the wrx? i would think alittle more because it is 2.5. And has anyone replaced theres with an sti int manifold? i have one and want to install when i go to the next level. i know i have to tap for a throtle cable bracket and that should be it. also thinking of porting it alittle.

2) looking for a nice size fmic for a wagon. i know some are not suited well for the wagon because the front end is narrow than the sedan. im realy interested in teh turboxs or the injen fmic for the sti (it will fit a wrx and i like the stealth black and red plumbing alot so im leaning toward injen).

3) would a header be that benificial with an fp18g? and i need one with a bung already in it to put the egt sensor right?

4) will the stock BOV be ok for 20psi?? if i go to a fmic, ill get an aftermarket. AND, does the auto wrx require a 100% recirc bov, im not sure because i thought they hold boost between shifts so are less pron to lean conditions like the mt.??

5) re: dyno tune (i dont know if ne1 here can answer), will a auto trany WRX be tuned well without the tq lockup mod???

i know i have more questions and will update as i remember....im getting old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 12:45 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
2) The TurboXS FMIC is a nice IC and is pretty cheap, I say get that one.

3) If I was getting a FP18G (look into the deadbolt 18G, I think it is a better deal) I would get headers just to flow the most air. Again you might lose a LITTLE low end, but you will gain at least that little you lost in top end and I would imagine your spool time would decrease since more air would be moving through.

4) You just have to see for yourself with the stock BOV, some leak at 18 psi, other hold to 21 psi. If it does leak, get something adjustable like the WORX so you can mess around with it.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
Would the TurboXS FMIC fit on a wagon though?
post #4 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Anything that fits on a sedan will fit on a wagon. They are the same width. Well, the wagon is narrower, but the size difference is in the fenders. Between the fog lights/head lights they are the same. The wagon is narrower from the fog lights outwards.

The STi manifold will flow better because it doesn't have tumble generator valves. However, your stock ECU won't work without a simulator for the TGV's.

I would stay away from headers all together. They only work in high RPM applications (6500 rpm+) so on a engine with a 7000 rpm redline like you have, it won't do any good.

The stock BOV starts to leak around 18-19 psi, so I'd upgrade it. If you don't want the sound, get a Perrin recirculating valve.

You can tune the engine fine with the AT like it is. However, I'm not sure how long the stock AT will last with an 18g.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
Thats why i post the important stuff here . THANKS.
No headers.
Is that the only difference between the wrx and sti manifold and where do i get the tgv simulator from. i thought aps?

oh joy, i get to finaly buy a bov .
post #6 of 29 Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX KY is an unknown
I have the stealth black APS FMIC and BOV. I like them a lot.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFRIDE
Thats why i post the important stuff here . THANKS.
No headers.
Is that the only difference between the wrx and sti manifold and where do i get the tgv simulator from. i thought aps?

oh joy, i get to finaly buy a bov .
APS makes them, and I belive MRT does as well. I think Perrin was coming out with one too, but I haven't seen it yet.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
i cant find MRT or Perrin tumble delete sensors. Aps only has the kit that is $500+ but i dont think that is what i want, right?? Or would these work well with the intake and my application? Probably not necc for my setup right? any cheeper way?
im not to familiar with the intake setup on this car. Im not sure what the aps tvd will provide.
aps tvd (includes the sensor) + sti manifold, will this work??
post #9 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have never used the simulators, but from what I've seen this is what they do:

You tumble valves are basically butterfly valves, like the valves in carbeurators, or in your throttle body. They have a linkage connected to a solenoid that makes them open and close. The simulators go in place of the linkage so that the solenoid still thinks it's opening and closing the valve.

So, the APS pieces replace the valves on the stock intake, and come with simulators. So, you may be able to get ahold of just the simulators somewhere. I don't know if you can buy them by themselves though since I haven't tried to buy them.

There may be an electronic fix, but when I last checked (about 6 months ago) there wasn't one. You may want to contact Axis, Kingpin, or someone like that that knows more about it than I do.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
Well, i talked to Cobb and they said that most of the em out there can delete the cel associated with the tumble valve. And since i dont think it would hurt anything, thats what ill do. Perrin also said (i did order one of there BOV's because they look very nice and recirc) that ill have to make a bracket for the fuel rails because they are different on teh sti manifold. Am i missing anything else? This should be relatively easy right? Cosmo, have you learned street tuner yet, im waiting ??
post #11 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
i'm assuming since you mentioned the 2.5L you are referring to the USDM STi intake manifold.

Let's get some stuff cleared up first:

The usdm STi is drive by wire, and if you choose to use that intake (it houses the throttle cables) you will have to do some modification to get it to work on your WRX. (what exactly i'm not sure, as i've never completed one)

Next, USDM STi's STILL HAVE the tumbelers in the housing. And they sit below the intake, they're not all one part like the JDM V8's intakes. So if you bought just the intake, and not the housing that sits below it, you'll essentially have a red painted wrx intake that doesn't work on your wrk because it's drive by wire. phew.

BTW the V8 JDM intakes are the ONLY ones that do NOT have the TGV"s in them from OEM.

Next, i know with my street tuner i can simply disable certain CEL's. I looked up all the codes i am allowed to disable, and guess what, TGV is one of them may want to look into that, you can get your EM and not drop duckets on trying to defeat some code with expensive fixes all in one shot. There's simply a screen you go into and check certain DTC's, then the code is gone next time you flash. The power of working with the stock ECU
post #12 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

He may know more about it than I do. The only time I've messed with one is with a JDM STi intake manifold, which doesn't have the TGV's. I do know that on this particular car the car wouldn't run without the TGVs in place. We called TurboXS, and they suggested that we use the simulators. After putting the fix in place, it ran fine.

I have never taken an STi apart, so I wasn't aware of how the throttle wiring ran. However, I believe the throttle bodies use the same bolt pattern (WRX and STi) so I would assume you could use the WRX throttle body with traditional throttle and be fine.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
You .
What part of Pa r u in? id pay you To tune me via street tuner. In some ways id rather get s.t. than go for a pro tuner tune. and id be able to retune for other mods as i get them, big plus! and race gas.....R U interested....please say yes....lol
Yes, cobb told me this afternoon that the street tuner also has a screen to delete cel's.
So my sti intake manifold is usless and it will not work with the wrx tumblers? well, if there are no gains to be had neway, i would not put it on. Ill think of something creative to do with it.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm curious, are you upgrading internals before you put on the 18g?
post #15 of 29 Old 08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
yea if you have the USDM STi intake mani, it won't do you any good. It'll create more problems than it's worth trying to get it to work with your throttle cables and you'll be stuck with your TGV's anyway. If you want to do it the right way, look into buying a JDM V8 intake mani, it's all one piece, removes the TGV,s and will bolt right on to your car (not drive by wire). Maybe sell the USDM STi one and start shopping for a JDM V8, they're NOT cheap, and in pretty high demand due to it's construction. IMO the gains will be small, not nearly worth the time and effort. I would stick with the stocker and focus your energy and money elsewhere (again, just my .02$)

I'm in milford PA (NE PA, in the poconos). Thanks for the offer, but i don't know enough about tuning to tune SOMEONE else's car. I've had my car pro tuned, my tuner simply created it in a Street tuner format, and i mess around with the maps a little bit. Little fuel here, little timing there. I would recommend going to someone that has tuned many, many, many cars with your particular setup (that's not me ), including your particular turbo, EM, engine setup etc. Tuning isn't something to take lightly, our cars depend on it heavily to run healthy so do your homework before you choose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement