So i have about $1,000 to spend... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-09-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
So i have about $1,000 to spend...

I have about a grand to put into my car. I am debating getting a front mount or a UTEC.

How much real power will the UTEC add? and how much would the FMIC add?

I am leaning toward the UTEC but I already have the GReddy Profec B spec II boost controller. Should I just get the SAFC?

I like the FMIC because of the look but I want power.

I have headers, boost controller, uppipe/downpipe, CAI, and catback exhaust.
I am running catless.

What should I spend my $$ on?

Last edited by My05WRX; 09-10-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
id say utec then sell your boost controller, from what ive read.... a fmic wont actually add power as it will to increase the saftey of raising boost to get power but i'd say with the utec you could easily tune more power than a fmic could add if so. than save for the fmic and buy a turbo upgrade kit you like.

just my 2 cents
post #3 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 03:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Utecs are sweet, check out the Cobb accessport ecu as well, not as tunable, but more foolproof. But dont upgrade to a fmic until you get a new few system (injectors and pump) as well as a new turbo. If you are planning on going that route, a utec would be more suited to you.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Depends on how much further you want to go. Do you want to get a bigger turbo? If so, get a UTEC now. If you are satisfied with the stock turbo, I would get a re-flash and a cat-back.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Depends on how much further you want to go. Do you want to get a bigger turbo? If so, get a UTEC now. If you are satisfied with the stock turbo, I would get a re-flash and a cat-back.
I am running catless right now. How much would a reflash cost?

If I got a UTEC would I have to get it tuned?
post #6 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
www.cobbtuning.com

I believe a reflash is $495.

Yes, you have to have a UTEC tuned. You can run their base maps, but they run very rich and have low boost.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:03 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Go UTEC. Sell your boost controller, and intake and try to get a catback. Then you will be at a stage 2.5 with about 230 to the wheels. You don't need to tune it, because it comes with a base map from TXS. But you can raise the boost if you want and adjust the other parameters on the UTEC to get more power for your specific car. A relfash is about 400 dollars.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

You do need to tune it. That is, unless you like getting 140 miles to a tank....
post #9 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Do all of the base maps run that rich? I ran my stage 2 base map for about a hundred miles and I was fine on gas.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
tuning utec

w/out tuning that utec, you really won't know if your getting the full power potential (you probably aren't) of the utec.

we know stage 4 on the 4.2 revision runs pathetically rich, i don't know about the others of the new revisions, but they are really just intended as base maps to get you a good starting point... if you plan to learn the utec and tune it yourself, then you'll need a decent EGT gauge or a wideband O2 sensor to monitor your results and dial in the tune...

you shouldn't need a front mount until you have a larger turbo setup... unless you want it to just look cool... but i wouldn't personally want a front mount if i didn't have anything to back it up.

my 02

Last edited by REXronald; 09-10-2004 at 01:04 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
How much would it cost to get the UTEC tuned?
post #12 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That All Depends

dyno tuning ranges from $150-$200 per hour for a dynapack AWD dyno... probably take 1.5-2.5 hrs for tuning depending on what ya want.

cheapest route would be someone to road-tune the car with a portable wide-band hooked up to it... and a passenger sits with with Laptop. Of course, you could take the time and educate yourself and tune it yourself with an EGT gage, i know people do it... Cos has done it... but it takes a lot of time to get all the wrinkles ironed out and still no way to know for sure that you've tuned for every last little bit of power.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Ok thanks. I think I will go with the UTEC. Ive made $300 selling football tickets up here at UW so that should pay for the tuning.

Anyone know a good place with an AWD dyno in southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois?

Would adding a fuel pump help with power at all right now?
post #14 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
I'm not sure, but I don't think the fuel pump is going to make a noticeable difference until you get a new turbo and injectors. But I could be wrong.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-10-2004, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

No

Pump is there to supply more fuel when you need it. you need it when you have a larger turbo supply more air flow and therefore the fuel is needed to match that addt'l airflow...

The only thing that truly creates more HP is buring a larger quantity of air and fuel in a specified period of time. in order to that numerous supporting mods are usually required... ie... the intercooler upgrade does not itself create power, it allows more air to flow through your system and it more effectively cools that air also... adding more air to a cylinder of the same size creates a stronger combustion.... but adding that air requires an increase in fuel also so as not to increase engine temps to much... that's why most will tell you once you get a bigger turbo, you will need bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler to go with it. turbos simply increase how much air can be burned in any 1 cycle of your engine. and the UTEC is the brain that tells your network how much air and fuel to supply, when to supply it, and when to ignite it with the spark plugs.

hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement