Should I modify and tune up a 05 WRX or a 3000GT VR4? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

max3 is an unknown
Should I modify and tune up a 05 WRX or a 3000GT VR4?

Should I get a 05 WRX (2.0 liter) and add a bolt on turbo with a intercooler and maybe bigger fuel injectors etc? Do you think i can get 400 hp to the crank ? (I dont want to spend to much money into a NON-STI, I just want it fast and cheap)
I was thinking it would be fast due to the light weight (3,100 lbs) Do you think with the tuning/mods. that I could beat 350z, a STI or lancer evo?

Or should I just use the money from the modifactions from the 2.0 liter WRX to save up and buy a WRX STI and then tune it from there to get bigger power?

But my all time dream was to get a 97-98 VR4 and tune it up nasty to get around 500 hp even though the weight was 3,735 lbs.

So what do you think would win a 2.0 liter WRX hopefully around 400 HP vs a 3000gt vr4 with 480-500 HP?

Thanks , Whatever car I will buy I will try to find it for $10,000-10,500. ( I live in tx and its pretty cheap.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by max3 View Post
Do you think with the tuning/mods. that I could beat 350z, a STI or lancer evo?
Yes

Quote:
Or should I just use the money from the modifactions from the 2.0 liter WRX to save up and buy a WRX STI and then tune it from there to get bigger power?
Yes

Quote:
So what do you think would win a 2.0 liter WRX hopefully around 400 HP vs a 3000gt vr4 with 480-500 HP?
Better driver wins
#3 Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
VR-4...why not live your dream...and if you checkout 3si.org you'll see that it's not that hard to cut out lots of weight from those cars...one of my good friends here at college has a first gen VR-4 that we just removed some usless computers from and such and now he's down to 3300 lbs with 450awhp

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll vote for the VR-4 too. I don't see too many of them on the road these days and I've always liked the way they look.

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
A 15 year old Mitsubishi? You only do that once. Then you learn what pieces of crap they are and swear to never do it again. The cars are fun and respond well to mods but seriously, they aren't built to last that kind of time.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
if ## gunna get a mitsu, especially one that you want to modify, i suggest getting another beater car as a daily driver.... they are just not reliable. but i think the vr4 is very sexy looking and pretty rare on the road. if u are going to go subaru, just save up and get an sti
#7 Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
I have always wanted a 3000GT. Although I have also heard that they are not a very long lasting car. But that could be because everyone that has them drives them hard and fast. I love my WRX! It is quick and looks great and is relativly easy to mod. It also has 4 doors. This is the first car I have purchased with 4 doors (always drove Honda Preludes) and I love the extra room.
#8 Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Can I comment on how much body flex the 3000GT has, especially when old and rusty? New it wasn't exactly a great handling car but this kind of old, it'll be bendy bendy in the corners. Also the VR4 drivetrain components can't handle big torque. They all have to be upgraded, particularly if they were beat on before you started modding. They're also twin turbo cars which means expensive plumbing under the hood.

They look good, have 4WD and turbos. They even made a convertible version, I get it. I just wouldn't want to OWN one.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I have a friend with two 3000GTs. One is on blocks because of a blown tranny. The other he just replaced the tranny and clutch. He has upgraded sways, tires and springs so his handling is actually pretty awesome but he seems to always have transmission issues. He is usually on his motorcycle due to one drivetrain issue or another.
#10 Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04paulieWRX View Post
if ## gunna get a mitsu, especially one that you want to modify, i suggest getting another beater car as a daily driver.... they are just not reliable. but i think the vr4 is very sexy looking and pretty rare on the road. if u are going to go subaru, just save up and get an sti
I agree...if you buy a 15 year old VR4 you really do need a daily driver. I know money is kind of an option so you have to put that into your calculations if you have to fix the Vr4's drivetrain or whatever. I know what it feels like to want to buy your dream ride, just make sure its a smart choice, you dont want to wind up screwing yourself. Other than that its your money..spend it the way you want

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#11 Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

boosted475 is an unknown
I vote STi!
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

max3 is an unknown
Thanks everyone,

I have a 94 3000gt (manual tran.). I had to replace the engine on it, and the transmission has problems because its old, I will soon see what the problem is. I forgot to say one of the reasons i thought of getting a WRX was because i thought it would be nice daily driver and quick accelerating car.

Eventually one day when i have enough money i will buy a vr4
#13 Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

highboostvr4 is an unknown
I own a 1991 vr4 that has over 150,000 miles on it and still runs great!
It has upgraded turbos and built motor and is still reliable. The only thing thats really gone wrong was when i snapped an axle with a hard launch, and the ecu has cooked once. Great car though, couldnt be happier. I see subarus wherever i go, hardly any vr4s which is why Id pick a 3000gt any day.