Short Ram or Cold Air Intake? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
Dont worry Deli no hurt feelings here, I understand what you mean but modding cars isn't something I have ever done before so I do appreciate your input. My STI is my first "real" sports car, and I work reallly hard for all the money that goes into it and cant afford to buy a new block 6 grand is alot of money to fork out ya know? So I mran if someones says that they dont think that something will bee good for my car then I am going to listen which is why the exhuast is the only thing that I have done so far lol, how much should a tuner be charging, roughly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
My only tune I had, was by Tim Bailey, charged me $350 for just over an hour of tuning my 20G. With that I got a wasegate map, 15, 17, 18, and 20PSI with both 91 and 92OCT. If I get tuned this next time coming up its $400 for up to two hours, both on a mustang dyno.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#18 Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
OK thats cool I will look around but I think the closest dyno shop near here is in Atlanta, Georgia or something like that lol
#19 Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Depending on what you do/use for EM (Engine Management) there is also the chance to do an E-Tune (internet tune). I know that Tim at surgelinetuning and Dom at getadomtune do tunes over the internet for a decent price with great result.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKirkland View Post
OK thats cool I will look around but I think the closest dyno shop near here is in Atlanta, Georgia or something like that lol
Not sure exactly if it'd be closer, but theres a Dyno shop here in Columbus Ohio, IPS motorsports. IPS Motorsports is there site if you wanna check them out
#21 Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
thxs for the information
#22 Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
There is also boxer4racing in Ashville N.C. and Motion lab tuning in Charlotte N.C. Some guys from the KSOC are talking about going to Motion lab and getting a group rate I think. You should check out the Knoxville Subaru Owners Club (KSOC) on NASIOC if you havent already.
#23 Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I have a 20G with all the supporting mods (which include a Cobb SRI w/heat box/shield) and when I was tuned my tuner (Tim Bailey) has it marked in my maps as still a stock intake. Just saying that even at my power levels I didnt even need to mess with my intake.
I know I'm late to this thread, but:

I've been long saying that Cobb's claim of "good for 350 hp" on the stock airbox (even with a silencer delete is a misdirecting statement. "Good for" is not the same as "ideal", but more in line with "adequate". Even at 350 crank hp you will see very worthwhile gains with a good intake. I'm not really certain what you're getting at by saying you have an aftermarket intake but then not having to mess with it at your power level. If you're incinuating that a stock intake is acceptable for 400 chp, that is very far fetched. Your setup would be highly restricted by that choice, so much that I wouldn't be surprised at all if you lost 20 whp going back to the stock intake.

Anything stage 2 and up and an intake is money well spent. 8-12 whp on a stock turbo WRX. This has been documented by tuner after tuner for years.
#24 Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned this before either, but on that generation WRX/STi you're not supposed to do a CAI because of the sharp bend the pipe makes after coming out of the fender. It was this sharp bend that caused the MAF to read improperly due to the turbulence of the air passing by it from the bend. I don have to say, if you're into the sound of the turbo or even your BPV, you'll love having the intake ### it just makes it that much more audible. When I bought my 02 it had an AEM CAI, which sounded AWESOME, but I was quick to swap it back for a stock one I bought from a friend. I dumped the AEM. . . Actually I wish I knew where I put that. I digress. CAIs had been known to cause a lean condition on the 02-07 WRX. I'd recommend the short ram.
I don't believe this is a problem with the SPT intake or COBB. I think it had to do with the intakes that had the filter in the fender well.

I have the snorkus delete and K&N panel. I'm stage 2, so I'm sure it's not a restriction point.

I test drove a stock STI with the SPT intake and the turbo was way louder than on my car. The BPV also made the cool "psst" sound when I shifted. It was the stock BPV.

I kind of want the intake now just for the sound. The Cobb map notes say the SPT or COBB intake is fine with the OTS stage 2 map, so I don't think it's dangerous.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#25 Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I put on an SPT intake yesterday. I previously had the panel filter and snorkus delete elbow.

The sound of the turbo is way louder. It sounds really cool, and the BPV makes the "whoosh" sound much louder when shifting. It's just the sound I was looking.

I got the intake and heatshield used for $130. I'm really happy it.

I did some logging with the AP, and the air/fuel ratios are the same as they were with the panel and stock intake ducting.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#26 Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That's because the SPT and Cobb SRI read the Maf the same as the stock intake

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#27 Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
I bought my 02 a few years ago with a K&N SRI an no tune. I've been cobb stage 2 now for a while but I would rather have the stock intake back from what I hear. Just ordered the cobb SF intake just to be on the safe side since I don't have a stock intake handy and do not trust the K&N anymore. Apparently its ok with the stage 2 ots. Is there any power gains what so ever vs stock with the cobb SF? Or is everyone just after the sound? Either way, I'm a little annoyed spending 150 on an intake when I'm sure the stock was just fine.
#28 Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

I didn't notice anything but the sound. My boost gauge shows the same readings it did before.

I plan to have it protuned this summer, and I'm hoping that having the intake will erk out a few more horses, but from what I hear the stock intake is plenty good.

Did you get the heat shield? I run the SPT heat shield as well. It's supposed to reduce intake temps by quite a lot.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#29 Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

alexxxphilly is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to alexxxphilly
I Just got a short ram COBB SF and i can tell you that it works amazing! no hp gain but you can hear the turbo from a block away and the bpv like crazy i couldnt be happier with it. and no CEL
oh, no heat shield too much $$ for that im making one next week. haha
#30 Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea that's kind of what I figured. No heat shield for me either, I figure that's the intercoolers job. I'm just hoping for no more lean codes to pop and maybe some smoother performance from the cobb sf.