Short Ram or Cold Air Intake? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
Short Ram or Cold Air Intake?

I was wondering what I should get a Official Short Ram from my dealership or a aftermarket Cold-Air Intake, which ones are recommended, Thanks in advanced

P.S. I have a 05 STI with the only mod being a N1 turboback exhuast, do i need support mods for the Intake. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
i went with the K&N short ram..cold air might realize a tiny bit more power but having a much more exposed filter can be dangerous if ## not carful about the weather you drive it in. I'm in Calgary (land of snow and slush) so a short ram with the heat sheild was and easy decision..plus the lil "ram" air tubing that fed the stock air box feeds the short ram... pretty smooth if you ask me! oh and as far as i know no supporting mods required although you'll make a lot more hp with a tune!
post #3 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Neither unless you plan on getting tuned, and not getting much out of it. Research/search snorkus or silencer delete. Cheaper, just as easy and pretty much the same sound effect as either intake.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
Has any1 used the official short ram by Subaru Technica, you would think that if it needed to be tuned in they would do it during the install right, thxs for the replies and all input is appreciated, i might do an open source tune for the couple of mods im doing but nothing substantial, i will probably only do uppipe, downpipe, and injectors, because i cant afford to do anything to the block...
post #5 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The factory one is alrite, doesnt really require tuning as it keeps the same ID as the stock intake. All you will really get is some added intake, turbo and BPV noise. The stock unit is good for around 350HP.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 30 Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
What about the AEM cold air intake? whats your thoughts about it
link here AEM Cold Air Intake System (Red)
post #7 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
Hey! nice to see someone els from k-town on here. Do you still live in Knoxville? Your info says from Knoxville and chapter midwest. As mentioned earlier you dont need an intake just yet. I know how tempting it is though, That is the first thing I ran out and bought after I got my car. I have the K&N typhoon short ram with heat sheild. I love the sound of it but, you can get the same sound with a snorkus delete. I have never had any problems out of my intake but, after researching I bought a K&N drop in so I could have both. I put the pannel filter in after I got it but, shortly went back to the intake because I missed the sound. I'm not a big fan of the snorkus delete. Well now I realize I dont need flashy parts or whooshing sounds, So if you are still in K-town and would like a intake I can get rid of mine.LMK! Either way I dont think you should get a cold air intake no matter what you decide to do.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
i was thinking short ram intake was the way to go the official one from subaru looks really good haha, got pictures of yours? and yeah i live in south knoxville off chapman hwy
post #9 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
I like the SPT intake. My in-laws got that for me for Christmas and my wife got me the heatshield, so haven't had it on that long. I am corny and like supporting the genuine subaru parts, I already have the SPT catback. It adds a great sound, which I am a sucker for. Subaru will say though that with the SPT catback, heatshield, and intake will give you an increase in horsepower. Not huge gains, but they do market those three items as a "power pack"

As others have stated, the intake for a subaru is not really worth it until you are putting down a lot of horsepower. Its not ideal for mod to be done early on, even though I did it. A big thing if you go through with it is watch out for the Short Rams that differ in design from the stock one. Examples that are fine, Cobb's short ram and the SPT. To my knowledge all the other ones differ in design and mess with the Mass Air Flow sensor, thus why you need to have a tune because you will throw a code. So you can get another one, but get a tune, or buy the ones I said above and you won't have that problem.

Good luck, and remember this is your car so make your own decisions about it. It's good to find out and research but don't some strangers dictate how your car should be.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Do what you want, but most of us are here to help. At least I hope so...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #11 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I have a 20G with all the supporting mods (which include a Cobb SRI w/heat box/shield) and when I was tuned my tuner (Tim Bailey) has it marked in my maps as still a stock intake. Just saying that even at my power levels I didnt even need to mess with my intake.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 30 Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RLKirkland is an unknown
I appreciate all the input given and I know that it is my car but I've always heard you can learn from someone else's mistakes so thats why I ask. I already have the full cat from the downpipe back on and I heard that the intake, injectors, and front mount inter-cooler would be the next best mods, So I just wanted everyones opinions on what they thought is really what it boils down to but keep the suggestions coming i'm all ears and some brains

If you think I should skip the intake what should I work on next, No tuning though I cant afford 600 dollars everytime I need the car tuned, I would like to only do that once or twice in the lifetime of the car
post #13 of 30 Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I can't believe no one mentioned this before either, but on that generation WRX/STi you're not supposed to do a CAI because of the sharp bend the pipe makes after coming out of the fender. It was this sharp bend that caused the MAF to read improperly due to the turbulence of the air passing by it from the bend. I don have to say, if you're into the sound of the turbo or even your BPV, you'll love having the intake ### it just makes it that much more audible. When I bought my 02 it had an AEM CAI, which sounded AWESOME, but I was quick to swap it back for a stock one I bought from a friend. I dumped the AEM. . . Actually I wish I knew where I put that. I digress. CAIs had been known to cause a lean condition on the 02-07 WRX. I'd recommend the short ram.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 AM

You need to find a different/better tuner then if hes charging you that much.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 30 Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
My apologizes if my comments came on strong. I was really just trying to say that you have the ultimate choice in what to do. Researching and asking is the best way to find out information, its what I do. I was more intending to just caution you that its your car and you should do as you please. For example, if you wanted to put an STI scoop on a WRX, some may say no do do it keep it the right parts with the right model, others maybe all in favor for it. But ultimately you have to pull the trigger on what to do. Sorry if that rubbed some people the wrong way, I just don't want people being pushed into something that they may have been excited about.