• 2 Post By turmic
  • 2 Post By BLAZE2099

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Set-up

So I came into $4g to beef up the REX.

I wanted to see what you guys thought. I do not plan hard launches until my tranny is built. I will be getting a conservative tune for now. Next year it is all about the tranny and engine internals.

Blouch 20g
850cc injectors
DW200 fuel pump
FMS - TMIC
STI hood scoop
Turbo XS 50/50
KYB struts
Tein Type S (which I already have)
Whiteline F/R sway bars
grimmspeed 3 port EBC

Plan with the left over $$ is to go towards the tune.

Any input would be great.

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Turbo Injectors and Fuel pump all sound great, Im not sure where I read it but I heard that fast Motorsports inter-coolers fit kinda like OJ Simpsons gloves. Process West makes some beautiful TMICs if you dont mind spending an extra 3-4 hundred dollars. The rest of your build sounds pretty good to me.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Im not sure where I read it but I heard that fast Motorsports inter-coolers fit kinda like OJ Simpsons gloves.
^^HAHA that's awesome!

I saw mixed reviews where some people had to slightly modify it to get it to fit. Where some didn't have an issue. I figured a little modification wasn't to bad for the $349. I was hoping someone would actually say something about the intercooler to see if there was still an issue.

Do you think there is anything that should be added?

Thanks for any and all input

-Garret

#4 Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I would look into grimmspeed intercoolers also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Fidrat likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 04-29-2014, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I would look into grimmspeed intercoolers also.
I looked at those as well. They looked really nice and have seen good reviews on them. I am inclinded to not spend too much though on a TMIC as i feel when i go for an aggressive tune next year i will opt for a FMIC. But i am not sure if at that i point i will need to.

#6 Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
4k might get you all the parts....but, did you figure in any installation/shipping/and tuning charges? I'm guessing you're going with 22mm front and rear sways and the STI scoop is the splitter....not the snow shovel scoop. Then minus shipping you're looking at roughly $3626.04 and that is without installation and tune. You can't install it all without flat bed towing the car to a tuner which will cost you a pretty penny. Plus, most initial tunes will run you $500-700 for a first time tune. Re-tunes being lower. You're already over 4k...before you tune. I won't get into questioning some of the parts ordered either....its personal preference. But, I wouldn't even waste my time on the BOV if I was you.
BLAZE2099 and arewmors like this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
4k might get you all the parts....but, did you figure in any installation/shipping/and tuning charges? I'm guessing you're going with 22mm front and rear sways and the STI scoop is the splitter....not the snow shovel scoop. Then minus shipping you're looking at roughly $3626.04 and that is without installation and tune. You can't install it all without flat bed towing the car to a tuner which will cost you a pretty penny. Plus, most initial tunes will run you $500-700 for a first time tune. Re-tunes being lower. You're already over 4k...before you tune. I won't get into questioning some of the parts ordered either....its personal preference. But, I wouldn't even waste my time on the BOV if I was you.
Damn my pricing came out to around that... Did you do some searching?

And just a quick background about the 4K is that my company is sponsoring me. This is the initial set-up and next year might be more plus the 5k i get for income tax. So anything else i will pay for.

Hey man i want you to question and i completely appreciate your input. I am fully able to install all of these parts. I have a full tool chest, a garage and know my way around this car.

I have an uncle with a flat bed so i am not worried about the tow just need a 30 rack and he will be happy haha. The 4k is just on purchasing the parts and the tuner i am hoping to go to is only 40 miles from here plus if i really need to i know a performance shop that could give me a limp map to make it there if need be(which i will choose the flat bed to be safe as i knock on wood the flat bed doesnt get stolen by UFO's or some crazy ****) they just dont have a dyno.

Parts are from Rallysportdirect(Turbo,FP and EBCS), Ebay(Injectors,Sway bars,Struts,BOV and scoop), and FMS(intercooler). i know right?... ebay... this is where i cross my fingers and hope my research and luck has not run out with them..

I was going with the snow shovel scoop lol. Is there a reason why i wouldnt want this besides extra drag? I figured with the larger turbo, larger intercooler i would want more air to come in. Is this not what i should be looking for? I ask to learn and verify my plan... but i do like the look of the bigger scoop.

Again thanks for any and all input.

-Garret

#8 Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
So i talked to my local performance shop. They got me a slight deal on a few parts and talked me out of the ebay stuff to get known good parts. In the end i am paying about the same as before. I know the owner personally as i have printed him up shirts for his business.

I was referred to East Coast Swappers in CT for the tune as they work with Cobb. Their price chart seems to be pretty reasonable as well. I am meeting with the local performance dude hopefully this friday to go over a plan of attack. And maybe since he knows the tuner well i will get a slight deal on that. Not planning on it but who knows! lol

Since i will only be doing friendly drag runs not really pushing the car i will probably wait for the sways, hood scoop and BOV until this summer. I want to use the sponsor money for engine bolt-ons and tune. I can then start saving/spending personal money on other upgrades throughout the summer if not sooner.

Then next year if my sponsor likes my progress maybe i will get further support from them and be able to take my income tax and really lock in the other needed components. I hope to enter in some Auto-X next year

Although i jump on things really quick (the inner kid in me) i usually pan out and go the right route. I believe i am doing so now and will be happy with the results.

#9 Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Check out TurboXS intercoolers, they're large and a really great peice.
As for their BOVs, I can't say the same, they're poop!
Check out Cobbs 50/50. (Probably the best on the market) IMO

Everything else looks good.

+10000 to the flatbed too, great choice!
turmic and arewmors like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post

I was going with the snow shovel scoop lol. Is there a reason why i wouldnt want this besides extra drag? I figured with the larger turbo, larger intercooler i would want more air to come in. Is this not what i should be looking for? I ask to learn and verify my plan... but i do like the look of the bigger scoop.

-Garret

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The splitter is the part that will direct more air over the intercooler. It is the piece on the underside of the hood under the scoop. It creates a seal from the scoop to the intercooler so that the air goes where its needed and don't just blow around under the hood. A wrx splitter is smaller than the sti since they were made for 2 different sized intercoolers. Essentially you are directing a larger surface area of air displacement with this upgrade. The 2 most common splitter upgrades are one from the sti and process west makes one. This upgrade is only beneficial in conjunction with a larger intercooler so it would be a waste on say a wrx stock intercooler. If you like the snowshovel go for it. Can't hurt and looks good.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#11 Old 05-04-2014, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
[color=gray]
The splitter is the part that will direct more air over the intercooler. It is the piece on the underside of the hood under the scoop. It creates a seal from the scoop to the intercooler so that the air goes where its needed and don't just blow around under the hood. A wrx splitter is smaller than the sti since they were made for 2 different sized intercoolers. Essentially you are directing a larger surface area of air displacement with this upgrade. The 2 most common splitter upgrades are one from the sti and process west makes one. This upgrade is only beneficial in conjunction with a larger intercooler so it would be a waste on say a wrx stock intercooler. If you like the snowshovel go for it. Can't hurt and looks good.
Yes i understand that much. I was going to install the whole sti scoop set-up. I just didnt state the whole thing. I would be surprised people didnt do both at the same time.

Almost all parts will be arriving this friday with a few showing up next friday. My local performace shop is talking to ECS early this week. So i hope in 3 weeks everything will be completed (including tune). Hopefully they aren't swamped.

#12 Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
A few updates on the parts list

ECS recommended ID 1000cc injectors, Perrin turbo inlet and Perrin BigMAF intake.

Those are being purchased now.

Put on hold the sways bars and the KYB struts. My struts are all new OEM anyways as they got replaced when I bought the car so I will be good for a little while. And I new end links from when I bought the car as well. I will just put money aside for those slowly.

Gonna keep running the stock BPV as well until she doesn't hold the boost.

ECS is saying this will be a "stage 4" tune. Cost is $500. They are going to do a pre-dyno inspection and do a compression and leak down test as well for $150.