Serious VF turbo lag - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WRXnewguy is an unknown
Question Serious VF turbo lag

After doing doing some research I'm very confused. I'm new to the tuner world and have a few questions. Hopefully I can get some answers.
I am still in the process of editing my profile so here is a quike list of engine mods: VF34 turbo with manual controller, 565cc STI injectors HKS front mount intercooler, STI cams Hks downpipe and catback exhuast, hks short ram intake and APEXI AFCneo tuner. I bought the car with all this done. I was told it ran 405hp at the wheels with 28psi on a dyno with a tune. Sound about right to anybody? Now from what I've read the VF34 should make full boost around 3k rpms and is capable of boost in said range, but ive never seen my boost gauge go higher than 15psi. Could the factory turbo manifold be part of the issue? Any other possible causes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Never seen it go higher than 15 psi WOT or at 3k rpms? Does it have a manual boost controller? Is that what you meant by manual controller? Personal opinion here...but, I would not run the AFCneo tuner. I'd rather get a protune via opensource or AP.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WRXnewguy is an unknown
yes a manual boost controler. and yes that 15psi was WOT all the way to 6500 rpms. ive tried turning it up, but im a little nervous about turning it too far. i cant figure out why its running such low boost. and as far as i know the AFCneo soesnt have the tune on it. the ecu does. i think the AFCneo was put in mainly as a monitor.
#4 Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
No way in hell a VF34 can hit 405whp or even run at 28PSI, that is WAY out if its efficiency range.

Find an EXPERIENCED tuner/subaru shop (not just any mechanic), have him look over the car ASAP, and get a custom tune. The dude who sold you the car was lying through his teeth and should be punched in the face.

Personally, I would try to take the car back b/c buying a heavily modified WRX with that crappy engine management/suspect tune is dangerous business. Seriously, get the car checked out right away.
#5 Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
^^+1. Yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing. There is no reason to use that mbc. I would get rid of it and go get a protune. Even if you get an accessport there are no off the shelf maps that will support a fmic. You can get one if you want but in any case you still need a tune. Yeah the guy that sold you that car didn't do it right man. That turbo is not a big turbo so 400 hp is really not even a realistic number. And just an fyi. My car with the factory turbo just a turboback and accessport is hitting about 16 psi on 91 Oct. Im sure whatever he has done is wrong. Good luck man.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#6 Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Didn't I answer these questions in the other thread???? Oh wait...damn forgot to put that in green.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Keith: I told you it was a double thread...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae