Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Serious VF turbo lag (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/serious-vf-turbo-lag-31090/)

04WRXnewguy 07-22-2011 07:34 PM

Serious VF turbo lag

After doing doing some research I'm very confused. I'm new to the tuner world and have a few questions. Hopefully I can get some answers.
I am still in the process of editing my profile so here is a quike list of engine mods: VF34 turbo with manual controller, 565cc STI injectors HKS front mount intercooler, STI cams Hks downpipe and catback exhuast, hks short ram intake and APEXI AFCneo tuner. I bought the car with all this done. I was told it ran 405hp at the wheels with 28psi on a dyno with a tune. Sound about right to anybody? Now from what I've read the VF34 should make full boost around 3k rpms and is capable of boost in said range, but ive never seen my boost gauge go higher than 15psi. Could the factory turbo manifold be part of the issue? Any other possible causes?

turmic 07-22-2011 08:31 PM

Never seen it go higher than 15 psi WOT or at 3k rpms? Does it have a manual boost controller? Is that what you meant by manual controller? Personal opinion here...but, I would not run the AFCneo tuner. I'd rather get a protune via opensource or AP.

04WRXnewguy 07-22-2011 10:28 PM

yes a manual boost controler. and yes that 15psi was WOT all the way to 6500 rpms. ive tried turning it up, but im a little nervous about turning it too far. i cant figure out why its running such low boost. and as far as i know the AFCneo soesnt have the tune on it. the ecu does. i think the AFCneo was put in mainly as a monitor.

c2bcoolwrx 07-24-2011 11:36 AM

No way in hell a VF34 can hit 405whp or even run at 28PSI, that is WAY out if its efficiency range.

Find an EXPERIENCED tuner/subaru shop (not just any mechanic), have him look over the car ASAP, and get a custom tune. The dude who sold you the car was lying through his teeth and should be punched in the face.

Personally, I would try to take the car back b/c buying a heavily modified WRX with that crappy engine management/suspect tune is dangerous business. Seriously, get the car checked out right away.

bad grocerygetter 07-24-2011 05:49 PM

^^+1. Yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing. There is no reason to use that mbc. I would get rid of it and go get a protune. Even if you get an accessport there are no off the shelf maps that will support a fmic. You can get one if you want but in any case you still need a tune. Yeah the guy that sold you that car didn't do it right man. That turbo is not a big turbo so 400 hp is really not even a realistic number. And just an fyi. My car with the factory turbo just a turboback and accessport is hitting about 16 psi on 91 Oct. Im sure whatever he has done is wrong. Good luck man.

psinuse 07-24-2011 07:24 PM

Didn't I answer these questions in the other thread???? Oh wait...damn forgot to put that in green.

turmic 07-25-2011 10:32 AM

Keith: I told you it was a double thread...:rolleyes: