searched and couldn't find anything... (newb) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

ja3301 is an unknown
searched and couldn't find anything... (newb)

k i know that the uppipe and ecu programing are the most recommended mods for wrx. but i live in california. so i guess what im wondering is how badly will an uppipe effect emissions? can i just add another cat downstream of the turbo if need be to pass smog? i dont want to change that pipe every two years ya know?. do any of you have a modded subby in cali? if so how closely do they look at the up pipe on visual inspection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have never heard of anyone failing because of the uppipe. I passed with an aftermarket one (and a jdm motor, tgv deletes as well). They didn't even come close to seeing it.

Btw, you will get little to no gains from an uppipe. I think you are thinking of downpipes. You will see a noticeable gain from one of those.
#3 Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
up pipe is not a power mod, it's a safety mod and something you don't need to worry about at near-stock power levels. It's a mod people do before changing turbos or for longerm safety at stage2.

The power mods for you are the ECU and the Downpipe. The downpipe is much more visible to an inspection than the up pipe however it's possible to get catted ones. How... literal... the inspection shop is about the rules will determine if they pass it. It's quite possible to meet all emissions requirements with a much less restrictive aftermarket catted bellmouth downpipe.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

ja3301 is an unknown
yeah wasn't too concerned about power gains more or less concerned about sending chunks of the cat through that nice expensive turbo. as other people have already put prevenative maintence, but i still consider it a mod.
#5 Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
Cutting and retaining the stock heat shield at the turbo will help as well. For the up pipe geta used STi one. It doesn't have a cat and it looks OEM because it is OEM.

Last edited by seanwrxwagon; 11-11-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Additional Pearls of Wisdom Bestowed
#6 Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

ja3301 is an unknown
sorry but what will cutting heat sheild do?
#7 Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Aftermarket downpipes are incompatible with the stock heat shield. You either have to cut it so it fits with the new downpipe, buy an aftermarket heatshield, make something yourself, or simply leave it off. Most people just leave it off.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD