Samco INtercooler Hoses - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
Just how noticeable is the performance increase? I think these might be a pretty good "bang for the buck" HP mod if you really noticed any difference. I've been wanting them for a while now and it's getting harder and harder not to buy these...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

STiWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to STiWRX
Yea, I'd like to know as well.....Looking for something else to spend some money on for my car.....

Bill Janczewski
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nekard
The flow is much better as you might expect plus the air flows much better out of the intercooler. The turbo spools a little bit faster as well. Havent driven that much with them to notice a gas milage gain yet.

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX1 is an unknown
Peformance wise, they helped a little bit. I think once you get into a bigger turbo, of start getting into increased flow (uppipe, tb exhaust, etc), you will start to notice it a little more. The biggest thing I notice, is that it lowered my intake temps about 15-20 degrees before the intercooler (I have an temp probe installed in the elbow going into the intercooler). From what I have been reading, trying to keep the incoming air cold is going to give the biggest gain. To me, it wasn't a seat of the pants improvement, but it is going to be a big puzzle piece once everything gets completed.

Russ
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
How exactly did you install that probe for air temp in the silicon hose? I am curious... And why?

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mikeWRX is an unknown
He said it was "installed in the elbow going into the intercooler". That elbow is steel.

You would want to know the intake temperature because the cooler it is the more power you make.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Makes a lot of sense, but how would you control it? Ice or such? Because if you try to cool down the intercool that reading would be pointless, right?

2002 Silver WRX
post #8 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
After reading Shiv's flowbench test, the most impressive thing I gathered was the pressure drop, or lack thereof with the Samco hoses installed. He showed that the pressure drop across the IC was lowered by about 1-1.5 psi.

What does it all mean? Those of you with the stock turbo can keep running increased boost and get a more efficient charge. The turbo does less work(ie heat) to make the same kind of manifold pressures. That alone is where the big(negligible) gains come from. The turbo heats the air less and the intercooler can then cool it that much more before it hits the throttle body.

Edit: nekard, how goes the Link tuning? I just realized it in your sig. Let me know if you have any questions or wanna compare notes. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been playing with it for about 3 months now.

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Thank God! I actually will be getting it on wendesday. I will need all the help I can get. Any pointers when first installing it?

2002 Silver WRX
post #10 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
It installs in about 20 min. The default map is already there. It runs sickly rich(better safe than sorry), but idles decently and runs enough to get you around the block. As for tuning closed loop, let the Lambda tune do it for you at first. It won't get the greatest street tune, but it'll get you a starting point.

As for open-loop, have an EGT, boost gauge, and be prepared to spend tons of time running through 2nd and 3rd to redline then examining logs and making VERy subtle changes. Rinse and repeat. I'll send you a PM i got from another Link guy with info on how to start from scratch.

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
post #11 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Samco INtercooler Hoses

I love this mod. It is simple and makes quite a difference. I dont about most of you out there but I really enjoy the sound of my turbo. These hoses give you just a little bit more noise but the perforance and efficency is noticable. The hoses make the air flow easier plus the silicon hoses will last longer than any plastic will.

2002 Silver WRX