Running lean/w new intake - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmm, yeah, I see your point.

Pro: Engine will breathe a little easier, you'll probably hear more sound and gain a few more ponies, you'll spend a little less than you would if you bought a brand name short ram, satisfaction of performing a DIY mod, having a slightly different setup than most tuners that's sort of unique...

Con: Sucking in warm air from the engine bay, changing a critical element of your car that was designed and engineered to work a certain way which could possibly cause damage by sucking in water or making the engine run lean because the MAF sensor might not be able to compensate for the extra air, spending extra cash to buy another stock air intake system to replace the one that was hacked up or a Cobb or SPT intake...

Seems to me that the risks sort of outweigh the benefits on this one. Yes, it can be done, but my vote would be to put that money where you'll see more significant gains.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConiferREX View Post
I was just sayin, haha, i have heard of people that chop off the bottom of the intake box and get a new air filter, so its technicaly like a short ram intake, but with the panel filter, so its getting the flow of a short ram and the sounds, but its not as expensive!
It depends on if your talking about chopping off the bottom of the snorkus or just taking the bottom out of the area around the panel filter. Chopping off the bottom of the panel filter area will mean you have to get a conical filter. Chopping off the bottom of the snorkus will mean you can use the same panel filter that you currently use or just drop in a k&n filter.
#18 Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Right. I had to re-read that post too. Oh well... just remember, the stock intake system on the 02-07 WRX is good up to 300 (+/-) hp, so there's really no need to modify it beyond an aftermarket panel filter and/or the snorkus delete mod if you so desire.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#19 Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I believe the above statement even more after having my car tuned. In my map notes by my tuner, it says stock intake (even though Im running the Cobb SRI w/box). I asked him about it and hes said the only thing it really is doing is preventing heat to the intake and allowing the turbo to be louder. So look up silencer or snorkus delete and do that along with a panel filter and you should be good.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

northpolerex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Not to say that it hasn't been done, but I haven't heard of many WRX/STI owners making their own homemade intakes and honestly, why go through the trouble? Keep the intake system stock until you modify your car to the point where it becomes the limiting factor in making power. Do the snorkus delete mod if you want a little more sound and use an aftermarket K&N (or similar) panel filter if you want a little more performance. If you absolutely must get an aftermarket intake, why not just get a Cobb or SPT short ram intake since they're somewhat proven to not cause problems? I'm sure you don't want to risk damaging things unnecessarily. Sorry, but I have to bring out the sleeping horsey again for this one

Well then I'll be the first one you have heard of...Got the filter from napa, and welded the piping up myself. Total cost was $30. Much cheaper and same thing IMO. I watch my numbers and a/f with my tuner and they are just fine...If I start to notice anything crazy while datalogging, then I'll throw the stocker back on btw that is powdercoated blue hammer tone for anyone that is interested...
Attached Images