Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Resonator removal??? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/resonator-removal-31674/)

ejs0806 11-26-2011 02:51 AM

Resonator removal???

So first off i couldnt find decent info anywhere upon this matter. I have a catless invidia dp and i believe it is a nopi mid pipe back with muffler, It just slighty to quite for me If i remove the resonator and still run the muffler would it keep the same tone just louder?? I also have a invidia catless uppipe which will be on in the next few days as soon as the gaskets come in, will this change the sound at all?? I ran it with dp and midpipe with resonator and no muffler and it was loud enough but didnt sound good.. What would removing resonator do just change the loudness or tone as well?? thanks also im not to fimilair with exactly what a resonator does (came from the truck world) lol. so sorry if its a nubish question

psinuse 11-26-2011 05:43 AM

A resonator is a device a lot similar to a muffler its used to help quiet cars down a lot more, all that will happen is it might be a bit louder.

cwinterbower 11-26-2011 01:42 PM

Hard to know exactly what would happen if you removed the resonator, depends on diameter, length, where in the exhaust system it is, and what type of resonator it is. Resonator's dampen certain frequencies depending on a lot of factors. It "could" just make it a bit louder, it "could" also change the tone/sound. Typically manufacturers use resonator's to help deaden any frequencies or unwanted tones that still exist with a muffler. Usually resonator's help to take away the raspy higher frequencies that give 4 cylinders that "ricy" sound. But, with a muffler I doubt you would notice much tone change. Usually quality exhausts have the resonator on there for a reason, you definitely don't want to open the door for extreme drone all the time, that = massive headache.

mazzanic 11-26-2011 02:06 PM

Will def change sound. Could change performance. But if u go that route make sure u OS tune bcuz no OTS maps from cobb will match

psinuse 11-26-2011 03:57 PM

Meh that far back in the system and what little it actually effects performance you can get away without a tune.

ejs0806 11-26-2011 04:33 PM

Alright i guess i might try taking it out and doing some striaght pipe there maybe ill try making a piece of pipe from dp to muffler that center piece where it bolts up so i can swap them out and whatnot. Thanks guys also will my up-pipe change sound at all?? im assuming yes slightly because im installing a catless one??

turmic 11-26-2011 08:49 PM

Its pre-turbo, so no the UP will not affect your exhaust tone. Its not like adding a larger flowing turbo.

ejs0806 11-27-2011 12:37 AM

[quote=turmic;271845]Its pre-turbo, so no the UP will not affect your exhaust tone. Its not like adding a larger flowing turbo.[/quote]

Alright thank you!