Removing 2 of the catalytic converters...hp gain?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
I have only the 3rd cat remaining in my car. It definitely makes a difference with the cats out. Maybe not 40hp though. Anyway, it's ideal to remove the upipe and downpipe cat and keep the one in the midpipe.

"Should" still pass emissions when the time comes. If it doesn't, then just put the stock downpipe back on.

Vishnu Performance sells a nice Stage Zero kit that costs $995 + shipping. It includes an uppipe, Unichip, crank pulley, and an mbc. Lots of folks have had nice gains with it.
http://www.vishunperformance.com

The auto slushbox is kinda slow. With a torque converter upgrade, however, it is just as fast and the tranny will probably take a bit more abuse than a 5MT.

Welcome to the Club!

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hypnoticwrx is an unknown
I have the upgraded TC in mine and it is awesome. I also have no cats on my car and no check engine lights. If you need anything for your car let me know and I will be happy to help you with your needs. Thanks.
Ivan

[email]Ivan@HypnoticPerformance.com[/email]
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
rex
WRXtuners Member

rex is an unknown
I have a catless uppipe and turboback exhuast with a 3" highflow cat. It does make a difference in quickness. I get spool up at around 2500RPM. Definitly the best bank for the buck mod.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bobby D is an unknown
Removing 2 of the catalytic converters...hp gain??

I just got my new WRX, and my friend told me i should remove the 2 catalytic converters and only keep one in...since mine has 3? He said i would get about 40 more hp gain from that. Is there any truth in that? Also, is it safe to do so and will i still pass emissions when the time comes? And in case this is a bad idea, what other mods can i do, to get more performance? I have about 1000 dollars i can spend...and i jsut wanna improve performance to begin with, i wanna be able to keep up or beat Z28's, Trans Am's, and mustang GT's. So if anyone can help, thx. Also, my friend just bought a new WRX just like mine also, but his is automatic. He thought his would be quicker since he doesnt change gears. We raced on a highway, and in every gear i would put it in...my car would pull away easily. So automatic is way slower...i wouldnt recommend it, he got pretty mad afterwards in fact. ALso, since im new at manual driving, im actually getting pretty good, its only been a week, i was wondering, what is "double clutching" and how do i do it? thx in advance.

-Bobby D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement