Regular Or Synthetic Oil? - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Mmm synthetic 5w-30?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
are you asking me what I've been running or telling me what I should run? I've just used the 5w30 regular oil the dealer has put in there
#48 Old 04-12-2005, 01:57 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
You said synthetic or 5w30. If you ran synthetic, you should still run 5w-30, but just in a synthetic form. The stuff you use is conventional 5w-30 probably. So I suggest get some Mobil 1 Super Syn 5w-30
#49 Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Garage
well, the dealer is going to switch it to synthetic tomorrow for me so we'll see how that goes. I still need to ask them how much exhaust work I can do without voiding the warrantee.
#50 Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
is any body here using 10-30 in there rex. I heard it is a little more protective.
#51 Old 04-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Garage
gah, my local dealer (I moved after buying the car) is such a worthless waiste of time. Lets here it for $20 labor for an oil change, an hour and 45 minutes of waiting, and $8.50 a QUART for the friggin synthetic oil
#52 Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

westr79 is an unknown
how about amsoil
#53 Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I think some of you are missing the point. As for synthetics, any synthetic made by a reputiable manufactuer will be fine. There's the point from switching from dino oil to synthetic that will make a largest difference. After that, when it comes to brands, IF it does make a difference, it'll be marginal and you'll probably never see the difference. Imagine it as an increasing exponential curve (graphing dino and syn brands from worst to best)... if you need a crash course: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/graphexp3.htm There's only so much oil can do.

Anyways, as far as brands go, I recommend Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 SuperSyn. I'm sure Amsoil is good too, but I've never tried it and the price and avalibility doesn't justify it. Same goes for the Purple stuff and Redline.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#54 Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

brewpubeaver is an unknown
used to use Castrol Syntec.
now i use torco man what a differance. i also put it in the tranny and rear diff. sooo sooth. oh yea i am useing full synthetic
#55 Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

LXguy is an unknown
I'm new at the Subaru specific stuff, however, I've had lots of experience with other types of performance cars, so here goes.

As far as the switchover stuff between regular and synthetic: When Synthetic oils were first introduced (eighties), most cars were still using paper and cork gaskets to seal oil lubricated areas. Over time, these gaskets would be saturated with conventional oil that "scabbed" or "coked" over due to heat cycling. Introducing synthetic oil to these surfaces removed the "scabs" and caused the leaks that were already there to become obvious. Synthetic oil doesnt "scab".

Most modern engines (I imagine the WRX is included in this, though I have not personally dug deep into mine yet) use rubber o-ring type gaskets or rubber-bonded metal gaskets, which are pretty impervious to changing from dino to synthetic. Switching back and forth should still be avoided if possible, because the two types of oil are incompatible, and it could leave you bearings unlubricated for a small amount of time. Changing over at higher mileage should not be a problem.

It should be noted that in general, conventional oil should be used to "break-in" an engine. There is a certain amount of wear that needs to occur in most engines and synthetic typically keeps this from happening properly. Failing to break in a motor properly can result in lower longevity, oil consumption, and a load of other bad stuff.

Benefits:

99% of all engine wear occurs at initial start up. Synthetic oils leave a film on your bearings even after the motor (and TURBO) haven't been running for a long time. Dinosaur oils do not, thusly synthetic oils protect your motor (and turbo) at it's most vulnerable time. You can tell the difference in the bearings of a motor that has been run for 100K miles on synthetic and conventional oil.

As stated before, Synthetic oils do not "scab" like conventional oils do. This offers a ton of extra protection for your turbo, because even if shut off hot, the oil won't "coke" up like a conventional oil. Remember all those turbo cars in the eighties? Domestic manufacturers had such bad experience with turbos, that most of them still won't build another turbo car. A lot has changed since then (water cooling is more common, better bearings and overall design), but conventional oils played a large part in the deaths of many many eighties turbos.

Synthetic oil does have the capability to last longer than conventional oil. In an enthusiast or racing application, it is not generally recommended to make use of this longer time frame for oil changes. Every time the car shuts off, gasoline, other pollutants and heat soak try to break down the oil. Even good synthetic breaks down.

Racing sythetic oils:
Royal Purple, Redline and other manufacturers offer racing types of oil in addition to their standard types of oil. These racing oils should never be used in a street car (though the standard stuff from Red Line, and Royal Purple is very good. The racing oils are extremely thin, and contain power adding combustibles. The power adding is good, but the lack of protection for the bearings isn't. These oils are designed for use in engines that are rebuilt every year or so. Even drag cars will typically only use these oils for one race weekend.

I plan to do the same thing with with my WRX that I have done with all of my hot-rod stuff. Afer a suitable break-in period (1000 miles), I am going to switch over to Mobil1 synthetic oil, and change it out every 3000-4000 miles.

That's all I can think of right now.

Steve
#56 Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Vew

Very well said. Covers the all the main points that I've read and learned, but also fills in parts that I've questioned.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#57 Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
very good, learned some stuff i didnt know.
#58 Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Final Clutch is an unknown
since we are on the topic of oil, has any of you (preferrably 2005 WRX owners) experience high oil consumption? I have a friend with an 05 STi and he says that he looses about 2.5 quarts between oil changes. I have a 05 WRX and i was wondering if the EJ20 does the same. I know the EJ20 has been around for a long time so i assume it would not have this problem. Any feedback would help. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Final Clutch; 02-13-2006 at 02:32 PM.
#59 Old 02-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Vew

Reading in a numerious oil threads and talking to WRX friends, most stock - lightly modified WRX's lose about a quart (synthetic with Subaru suggested weight) per ~3kmile oil change. My reasoning is because of how our cars run so rich. The extra fuel washes oil from the cylinder bores, which can lead to more oil consuption.

One solution is to switch to a heavier weight oil, but I'd just keep an eye on the consumption and fill as needed.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#60 Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
re original question, the fact about the synths can be used for more miles is a myth. still change them as you would regular. but synth is definitely better for your car after a number of miles