Regular Or Synthetic Oil? - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bosnian is an unknown
What about on a brand new STi ?? Should i switch it to Mobile1 full synthetic on my first oil change???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
put a NAPA gold filter on and it takes 5qts. I was amazed at how small the OEM filter was.

I asked the service manager when I should switch to Synthetic and was recommended to do so at 15K service mark.
#33 Old 02-16-2005, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
I've heard that small oil filters help to maintain good oil pressure...
#34 Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Bosnian I say yah switch to synthetic right after the break in oil.
#35 Old 02-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Small oil filter also don't have as much of a flow and isn't going to filter as much as a larger one does. I trust Wix (Napa Gold is the same thing). I've taken a Wix and a K&N apart and the differences in price and quality is quite shocking. If i remember, I'll post pics this weekend... trying to study for my EE test and I keep getting distracted

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#36 Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

blackoutX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blackoutX
so what if i switch at 500 miles(new car) ? it will be ok ?
#37 Old 03-01-2005, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
wait till 1500 miles. then change it.
#38 Old 03-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Finally got around to removing the pics from my camera. Here are some comparison photos of a K&N Gold Filter and a Wix Filter (aka Napa Gold).

You can see the Wix one is much larger, offers much more surface area, and the pleats are more uniform. If you look closely at the K&N filter. You will also notice glue that has absorbed into some of the pleats on one section... Keep in mind. A K&N Filter costs about 12-13 dollars at Advanced Auto. Napa Gold costs about 6-7 at Napa Auto, and Wix around 5-6 at a local auto part shop. Some might argue the small is used by OEM and the small size helps with oil pressure, but I can't see it being that much of a difference. I'd rather have cleaner oil with more flow than higher pressure. I guess it's really up to you guys what you trust.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#39 Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

TSi+WRX is an unknown
Hi All,

Please pardon my ignorance - I'm a newbie at this WRX thingie.

I noticed that many of you have been saying not to change to synthetic after 10K (10,000) miles.

Is this a specific recommendation for the WRXs, or am I missing something?

The reason I ask is because I'm a cross-over DSMer (yes, when we pick up the wifey's '05 WRX later this week, it'll be sharing its bed with my '95 TSi), and although our cars are typically much older and with much higher mileage when purchased second-hand, we typically see no trouble when switching to synthetic FROM conventional, aside from valve-cover gasket seepage on higher-mileage/older cars. We're talking upwards of 80K to 120K miles here, folks.

Thanks for educating a newbie on his (wifey's) WRX!

-A
#40 Old 04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
i changed to synthetic at the 1st oil change. you just need to let the engine break-in first.

Vew, it looks like you are comparing different filters. the Wix looks like the old size (060) and the K&N looks like the new size (080). the new (smaller) size is to give the filter more clearance from the exhaust manifold to reduce the temp and not because of pressure

Last edited by Quack; 04-07-2005 at 12:39 PM.
#41 Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

blackwrx03 is an unknown
lets put it this way if you change over to synthetic and there is leakage then that means you had a problem with your car to begin with, so by putting the synthetic and you can see if there are any problems with leaking. synthetic does lubricate better it is proven from all the tests.
#42 Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brycemb18 is an unknown
Well reading all of this really makes me upset. I started with dino oil for my break in period. Directly after I switched to mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30. I ran It till just under 15000 miles then I took to the subaru dealership in grand junction colorado, where they put dino oil back in against my request specifically for mobile 1 synthetic. Now at about 19600 miles, I am having an oil consumption problem, and I just had them switch back over to synthetic this change. Is it a strong possibility that the switching is what is causing my consumption problem (Not leaking, I checked my heads and there is no sign of oil leakage. Also, How low does the oil have to get before damage is done to the engine. When I checked my oil before my last change, it was off the end of the dipstick, I added a full quart to bring it back up to full. Heads are about to roll at whites mountain motors, this is the second subaru that they have serously screwed up. Thanks for any input.

Bryce
#43 Old 04-10-2005, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
i am going to change over very soon too and was wondering what filter i should use. Are the purolators any good or am i better with something else..
#44 Old 04-11-2005, 06:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
been using the PureONE filters w/o any problems.
#45 Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
so, been running 5w30 for 11,000 miles and now it's time for an oil change. Synthetic or 5w30 folks?