Red Intake Manifold - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-03-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Red Intake Manifold

So I've been seeing picture of red intake manifolds, probably standard on STIs, but not my 02 wrx. Anyone know if i can paint my intake manifold. Is it worth the trouble?
- Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-03-2006, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by six3jag
So I've been seeing picture of red intake manifolds, probably standard on STIs, but not my 02 wrx. Anyone know if i can paint my intake manifold. Is it worth the trouble?
- Jacob
I'd venture to say it isn't worth the trouble. But that's just my opinion. I try to keep my engine bay looking as stealth as possible.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #3 of 19 Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Yes, one can paint the stock cast Aluminum intake manifold on the WRX red to emulate the STI.. Removal is not that complicated, but it is a slight PITA due to the hard fuel lines.. I suggest while the intake is off that one upgrade to aftermarket fuel rails like Perrin or another reputable name.. The issue here is that the intake is Aluminum, as aluminum is hard to paint.. The paint of choice HAS to be able to stick to Aluminum, or it will all peal off and chip easy.. Now, the biggest cause of a poor paint job is prep.. TAKE YOUR TIME, and clean the intake well with a strong undiluted grease cutter and the mineral spirits.. Make sure that there is NO residue or the paint will not stick.. I spent HOURS just cleaning mine and the paint seams to be adhering well.. Granted the intake is sitting in a box as my motor just got back last week and my work schedule limits my wrenching time.. I definitely suggest LPHV spray guns for this.. Well, good luck if you chose to do it.. If you want I will look at my can and see what brand of paint I used.. I actually purchased it at Trader Horn.. lol. Yea I know, not even a paint store, but hey it was "Close" in color and was Aluminum safe..

Damn, I almost forgot Primer.. I good quality primer is needed.. The best is an Aluminum Oxide primer, but I had a hard time locating some.. I can however tell you what I used or even get you some if you want.. It worked out really well.
Attached Images

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."

Last edited by LiL Shoaf; 02-03-2006 at 11:25 PM.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Thanks for taking all the time to explain to me how you did it. I think in the future I will go to the trouble to paint mine.; It seems like a really cheap way to get some good looks in the engine bay. Just out of curiosity what did you have done to your engine?
- Jacob
post #5 of 19 Old 02-04-2006, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
heres a how to paint aluminum article.
http://www.finishing.com/1200-1399/1318.shtml

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-04-2006, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Could you just have it high-temp powder coated??
post #7 of 19 Old 02-04-2006, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Yes, and the coating would be alot more durable than paint. This would be my choice if I chose to do this.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #8 of 19 Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Just thought I throw this in here for the record http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/183
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
I definitely suggest LPHV spray guns for this..
I think that's HVLP, just being picky.
what did you do to the surface as far as sanding or anything like that before you painted.
powder coating sounds like the better way to go if you ask me. I've been thinking about changing the color of the manifold once I get my WRX. I was thinking black or something out of the ordinary but not too ### looking. I do like the red, but my WRX [as soon as I get it] is not an STi so I don't want to pretend it is, I want it to be only mine.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
WRXpert

Lol.. poser is correct. I tend to get a little dyslexic here and there.. Powder coating is an option, I even explored it, and however I was unable to find as close a match as I did with the standard paint. I also was kinda under the gun for time, and the main reason.. Umm, well, I kinda did my calipers the same color at the same time..

With all honesty I didn't sand the manifold. The reason for this is that the cast aluminum is rough enough to allow the paint to "grab a hold" and stick.. As long as the cleaning / degreasing prep work is done properly the sanding is not required in this application.. Also if you sand you could end up with areas that are smoother than others depending on your sanding methods which will cause a odd effect when the project is completed..

post #11 of 19 Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
I wander if, since it is aluminum if you can smooth and polish it to a chrome like shine. that may be cool if you're into 'bling' [which I'm not]
post #12 of 19 Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
How much would powder coating cost? I'm not going for the STI look so i don't care what shade of red it is. It just needs to be red.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I got a quote of $40 from a local company for one 16x7" rim. That included prep work. I can't see that an intake manifold would cost more, probably less.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-08-2006, 06:55 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I plan on using a thermal dispersent coating on mine.Nascar uses this stuff on their intake manifolds and heads.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by poser
I wander if, since it is aluminum if you can smooth and polish it to a chrome like shine. that may be cool if you're into 'bling' [which I'm not]
Yes it can be smoothed and polished to look like chrome, but I will say Pay to have it done.. Personal results will not be as desired with all the contours and crevasses on this intake.. I will be honest and say that I for one am not willing to put that kind of time into polishing my intake.. It will be a PITA...

As for powder coating, I can't give an honest quote, I get all my stuff done through my company and the powder coater only charges me a small fee. I had (4) 16" steel wheel powder coated for my winter rims on my old Celica and he only charged me 20 bucks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement