Subaru WRX Forum banner

Rebuild

5K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
I have an 02' WRX and the head gasket and the Heads went on me. So, it brings me to this point; does anyone have any suggestion about how I should rebuild it. I was thinking about getting an STI block, 20g turbo, front mount intercooler for it for starters, but not sure what else. I would like to get somewhere around 400 to 500 hp out of it! I would be very grateful for your input.......

#2 ·
for 4-500hp you'll need a built shortblock and alot more than a 20G, more like a 35R, your best bet for that would be to just sleeve your existing block with 100mm sleeves and use an STi crank, if you do all the work yourself you'd be looking right around 3500 for the motor, 1200 for the turbo plus injectors, tune, and FMIC of your choice

#4 ·
Yep, hope you have at least 10k ready to spend if you want it to last more than a week.

Built short block at a minimum - $2,500
Head work to get any decent results with a big turbo, and to get the combustion chambers machined to work with the 2.5L bottom end - $2,000+
Transmission because yours will explode in no time with 400-500hp (even if it is crank)- $4,000+
Turbo, FMIC, Injectors & other fuel system, Inlet, Intake, etc to support big turbo= $3,000+

#5 ·
RcrsWetDream and Basco thanks so much for your help. I'm saving the money for it now. I know that it's gonna cost a lot, but I love my Subbie to much to let it go, so I'm gonna fix it. After all, when the motor is out; why not go all out. What trans would you guys say would be good for it? It has the stock one in it now. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to fix it myself, so I have to pay this performance shop to do it for me. Oh, yeah! What kind of Roll cage should I go with? 5pt, 7 pt, or the full?

#6 ·
I would go with a PPG helical set, and as for a cage if it's going to be a street car I wouldn't do anymore than a harness bar or a half cage at most, when you add the halo bar and a-pillar bars on a daily driver you would need to wear a helmet everywhere or risk serious head injuries if you ever got in an accident

#7 ·
if it's going to be a street car I wouldn't do anymore than a harness bar or a half cage at most, when you add the halo bar and a-pillar bars on a daily driver you would need to wear a helmet everywhere or risk serious head injuries if you ever got in an accident
I wouldn't do a different seat harness for a DD again either. I had a 4 point harness in my Prelude, and it was great for driving hard through corners, and let's be honest, it looked cool, but it was not practical enough for daily driving as I'd drop something at the drive-thru and not be able to pick it up without undoing the seatbelt first. Those types of things never crossed my mind when I was installing them. Needless to say I won't put them in again until I have a dedicated track car.

I guess the best question comes down to what you really want to use the car for.

For 400 CHP you can use a 20G, but you need to go bigger for 400+ WHP, like Matt said. Injectors will run you 4-500, and the fuel pump is 100-170. My build so far, without having to buy a new block or crank, has come to about $3500. I haven't even gotten the bigger turbo or intercooler just yet. I've been looking to spend around $14-1500 on the turbo, and 12-1300 for the FMIC. Just be ready to spend money, that's all I've got to say.

#11 ·
My 02' WRX

Hi, Guys! Sorry, I haven't been around for awhile. I think it's time to fix my 02' Wrx and I need some help. I'm not going to do what I wanted to do at first because of money. But here is what I want to do for now. I need to rebuild my motor and I would like for it to have around 400hp, what can I do to get it there? I will get the front mount intercooler and tuned once the motor is done. What injectors, pistons, etc should I get??? Any help with this would be gr8 because I miss my Subbie.....Thanks, Guys!!!

#14 · (Edited)
I take it you already have a full exhaust and some method of tuning, or a tuner correct? If so then Umm let see...
Turbo GT30R or bigger
1200cc injectors(minimum)
Shortblock with forged pistons(either a new 2.0L or 2.5L)
Piston choice is up to you, most use CP, I use Wossner the list goes on.
You could get away with out head work, but it won't hurt.
Maybe meth injection(for the car not for yourself lol)
STi cams will help but not required, since you have the heads apart and if the price is right.
Oh and get ready for a trans rebuild sooner or later...That should about cover it. I'm sure there's more, but I'm at work right now and kind of busy...

#21 ·
Well again the minimum you'll need is what I listed, oh and a larger MAF housing...poop I forgot all about that...:shhh:sorry my brain is tired from working. If you have a front mount intercooler why did you get the STi hood scoop? Was it on the car when you bought it?

Oh one other question and I mean this in a nice way, but have you ever driven a 400whp car before? I am asking because it's a huge step from pretty much anything on the street that most people have driven and if your not careful it can kill you quickly.

#22 ·
Its good to experience the jumps in hp to get used to it in. All at once might be a lot for the average person.

More than likely though. You'd need to upgrade the gears in your 5 spd or go 6 spd. A lot of guys will tell you to just upgrade the gears though. Unless you're Keith his gears are holding together with little bits of hopes, dreams, blood, sweat, tears, and faith. His time might be coming this friday for new gears. :p

#25 ·
I'd like to suggest "DONT DO IT".. I've spent more on my 2002 wrx then I have on my house and I still can't keep in on the street.. I've done it all and done it right but reliability is yearly to a build.. Simply put, "Its fun when it runs, but it hardly does".. To do it right...

2.5L block
Forged Pistons and Rods
STI crank will work.
Good bearings
Arp fasteners to hold it all tight.
2.0L worked over heads (for a hybrid) or 2.5L heads
A nice set of good cams, I run Kelford
Big Valves, strong springs..
1000cc injectors or bigger for E85
Upgraded fuel delivery setup
oil cooler will not hurt one bit
upgrade radiator, I run a Koyo.
Upgraded brakes to slow it all back down.

serious set of gears and diffs.. The stock wrx will not last, RAs will not last.. An sti 6 speed will last or a setup like my PPGs.. Just keep in mind I spent 10,000 on the trans and diffs..

I'm sure there is more but this is just a taste of the money you will spend to do it right.. Sure you can just slap on a 20g and run boost through the roof but will it last and hold up.. Nope, your not even sure a strong build will last, just look at mine.. Shoot for a nice stout build and around 350ish to the wheels.. more then enought and still fun to drive.. Even just and 18g on stock motor with decent tune..

A solid tune..

#26 ·
LiL Shoaf
Thanks, for the advice! I will remember this when Im really ready and when I have the money to do it. And, After thinking about it and really checking into the cost of what I wanted to do; I decided to just do the rebuild and a 16 or 20g turbo to wake it up some. I just wanna get it back on the road for now, but in the mean time Im gonna get an STI block and build it up as I get the money.

#28 ·
Thanks Kirt.. good idea Rick... wait till you have plenty of disposeable income to throw into it before you do a big build.. it costs a lot to build and rebuild... do what you said with the 20g and enjoy it. Will still be super fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.