RallyPerformance ecutek reflash review - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-28-2003, 10:51 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
RallyPerformance ecutek reflash review

I've been working w/ Ken Cole at rallyperformance w/ their ecutek reflash. My mods are JDM uppipe, ScoobySport downpipe and catback (w/ oe 3rd cat), Samco ic, turbo inlet and airbox hoses-stock ic, turbo, injectors.

I did some baseline datalogging and concluded my setup as above was pretty good. I was getting quick spool, 15.5 psi (w/ no boost control!) (3rd gear pull) and a good flat torque curve. The Delta Dash road dyno (average of six runs-very close by the way) showed 177 hp and 183 ft lbs of torque- based upon others who have actually dynoed this or similar setups, I think this is quite low. Should be ~ 210 to the wheels. The numbers aren't important however, as they were consistent.

I found out another anomaly (besides what I thought was rather high boost w/o any boost control)- that was my boost was a little spikey. I'd see high 14's of boost at ~ 3000 rpms, it would then taper into the 11's and back up to 15.5 at ~ 4300 rpms, down to 14 at ~ 5400 and 13 at 6000- 3rd gear pull (~2300->redline).

With the reflash the spikeyness was gone- still high 14's at ~ 3000 rpms, and instead of dropping off, it built to 15.5 significantly earlier at ~3500 rpms, it held 15's until ~ 5000 rpms then tapered down to 14 at ~ 5600 and to 13 at ~ 6000 rpms. No spikes, quicker to full boost and held it better.

The road dyno software showed (average of six runs- again pretty damn consistent) showed 192 hp and 198 ft lbs- 15hp gain, 15 ft lbs of torque gain- ~ 8.5% improvement.

Again I think these #'s are low, but as they were consistent I think they are somewhat relevant.

Drivability is wonderful. Power is smooth and comes fast. It has all the safety and reliability features still retained.

I spoke w/ Ken and they have further tweaked things, so I will be getting another ecu pretty soon. He feels he can safely bump boost to 16psi w/ no ill effects. He also found a few tweaks that will improve low end some also. There is also a new feature that should prove very useful for many (been sworn to secrecy).

Maybe the best testimonial came from my wife (this is her daily driver and I didn't tell her about the ecu swap). She came home from work and said what the hell did you do to this car- I love it!

Will keep everyone updated.

Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2003, 06:03 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Thanks for the review! The ECUTek sounds awesome, the only thing that concerns me is once you've selected a vendor your stuck with them. Not that I'd be hopping around, but what if they close shop down the road?

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
#3 Old 03-28-2003, 07:38 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That is a possibility, but the vendors that are authorized Ecutek dealers (not really too many) have been well established buisnesses for quite awhile. I guess the other point is most people will only need/want one reflash. And w/ the announcement of user adjustments and the ability to "relash" on your own, there is less dependence on the dealer. I also feel that ecutek would probably help out if one of their dealers went out of business.

Big Sky
#4 Old 03-29-2003, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

duba-u-R-x is an unknown
what exactly does it mean to get your rcu reflashed? theres no modules like utec right it just re maps your stock program allitle or what?
#5 Old 03-29-2003, 02:48 PM
WRXpert

Essentially they have "cracked" the code for the stock ecu (computer). Evidently it is one of the most complex car computers they have ever seen. Through software they can tweak different mapping parameters ie boost, fuel, timing and many, many more. Maybe even more importantly they have retained all the safety/reliability functions built into the computer, while improving performance. Even the dealer scanning equipment can't detect anything, as it is a totally stock computer (just reflahed w/ different parameters).

Big Sky