Radiator install 03' - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

4WDrift is an unknown
Radiator install 03'

03' WRX sedan. What am I in for installing a new radiator? Is there a walkthrough anywhere that I can take a glance at? I think I cracked it from all the times I've leaned on the filler neck, the upper tank split in the front right next to where the prop-rod comes down. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
4WDrift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2010, 03:56 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's a pretty straightforward job.
Drain at petcock or large hose at water pump.
Remove air intake (if you still use the stock deal at edge of hood) and both the large hoses, upper and lower
Disconnect the two little lines on the passenger side.
Unclip the PS line (if you still have that).
Remove the two upper brackets.
Unclip both fan wiring connections.
Lift it carefully straight up off the pins. Wham, it's out !! Unbolt the fans, reservoir and metal line and mount those to your new radiator. Inspect all hoses before you reinstall them. Slap that sucker back in there, be sure to plug fans back in, fill it slowly while idling (with heat on). After it reaches op. temp and the thermostat opens it will drink more. Fill up the reservoir too, as it will draw from that too fill air gaps in the system.

Have fun
#3 Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

toekutter is an unknown
My man! What are the odds, I'm searching on how to replace a radiator and there's your post on how to do it!
I think I am developing the same issues (leaks on top by the plastic/metal seam) so I'll be tackling this here pretty soon. Any recommendations for a replacement radiator? I'm reading that the OEMs suck (obviously), and since Koyo's seem pretty pricey, I'm thinking a nice Mishimoto might be the ticket?

Igor
#4 Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Mishimoto for a DD will be fine... I think Koyo has more rows, but mishimoto will still cool better than stock.

-Chris
#5 Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

toekutter is an unknown
Right on. Do you guys recommend replacing the hoses as well?
#6 Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes...it doesn't make sense to skip it

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hey Igor, glad to help (before you even needed it !) Those rims turned out pretty cool wit that hammered black paint. I just couldn't do the copper or brass.

Cullen
#8 Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

toekutter is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Hey Igor, glad to help (before you even needed it !) Those rims turned out pretty cool wit that hammered black paint. I just couldn't do the copper or brass.

Cullen
Right on, can't wait to see them! We should still hit the track one of these days...
#9 Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

subyrex03 is an unknown
Mishimoto radiator?

Just a quick question about the Mishimoto radiator inlet/outlet size. I just split open my plastic crap radiator after 7 yrs and 102k miles. I'm looking for a aluminum rad. I've been looking at the Koyo, Megan and Mishimoto. The only thing about the Mishi item is that it says that the inlet/outlets are 1.25" where both the Koyo and Megan say their are 1.49". Is the Mishimoto actually small diameter and require different hoses? They say that they are direct replacement! Anybody install one yet and if so did you have any problems? I like the Mishimoto more than the Megan just because of some bad luck with a set of headers in the past. Thanks