rad hoses - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
rad hoses

hey so pretty quick here i'm going to be replacing my rad hoses/water pump/timing belt and drive belts/thermostat. should i drain all the coolant first and then fill with new when i do this or? any other things i should do?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Drain all your old coolant and flush it with water... THEN reinstall the new hoses... Just like any other car

Read the how to on here for burping the system.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll be burping mine in the next several hundred miles

Don't be shy - you can't over-burp it.

60k maintenance, here I come!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 08-16-2010, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
and use new coolant obviously, but it has to be Subaru coolant i believe correct? how much should i get to refill the system?
#5 Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
No, it doesn't have to be Subaru oem coolant, but that's what I used.

If you do it the way I did it, then you'll only need one gallon of undiluted Subaru OEM coolant which can be found either at the dealership or online, but you will end up diluting it about 50-50 with distilled water (very important!!!) along with a single small bottle of Subaru OEM coolant conditioner and one bottle of Redline Waterwetter or something similar if you choose. When I replaced my coolant at 30k, I emptied the stock coolant, filled it with only distilled water, turned the car on and let it idle for a few mins, shut it off, drained the distilled water, refilled again with distilled water only, let it idle, drained that, and repeated one or two more times before I finally filled it with 50% coolant and 50% distilled water + the coolant conditioner + waterwetter. I did this because I don't have a machine to actually flush out the entire system, so I just repeated that process until the stuff that drained out was mostly clear and I felt pretty confident that I flushed it out as best I could. I then burped the system many times until I saw almost zero bubbles popping up and then I burped it once more for good measure. I had no problems with overheating or anything else since then and I'm almost at 60k and about to do the same thing again. The draining part makes a huge mess because the coolant/distilled water spills all over the frame and just gushes everywhere - even if you have a decently large sized catch-container, so have plenty of rags ready

Make sure everything is sufficiently cooled down before you go loosening any caps or you'll get burned pretty bad. It's a fun job, but rewarding knowing that you now have the knowledge to repeat the process in another 30k miles plus you'll know you saved some money on labor and you'll be happy that your car has some fresh fluid in it and that part of it will again be in tip-top shape

John
#6 Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah that is why i'm replacing all the hoses with samco hoses and doing the water pump and such right now. i'm almost at 100k miles and i figure if i have all new lines on it now i won't have to worry about them for probably the rest of the life of the car. i could probably leave the coolant a while longer it's only been about 20,000 miles but meh it's not like it's that expensive. so is it true if i get coolant on any of the belts they are pretty much garbage? with my water pump kit i got it came with a little slip saying do not get any coolant on the timing belt or it is garbage and can't be used.
#7 Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Don't do 50/50 where you are at. 80/20 would be a better idea.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, slightly more coolant and slightly less water would be fine in colder climates... you could still get away with a single gallon of undiluted coolant because you probably won't use all of it - I had some left over when I did my 50-50 mix. You could just pour in the entire gallon of undiluted coolant and then top it off with water. You'll probably end up with a mix of 60-75% coolant and 40-25% distilled water, but that's ok.

As far as not getting coolant on the belts - I've never heard of that, but I'd imagine it would be good to follow that advice. I know coolant isn't good for dogs to drink, but that's about the extend of my coolant chemical knowledge

John
#9 Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Not if you use Sierra! That's all my dog drinks.

-Chris
#10 Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^ LOL.... you hater....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
hahaha. k i will keep it away from my labradoodles, and the belts.
thanks