Race Gas - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

huskmusk is an unknown
Race Gas

I was wondering if using race gas at the drag strip would have a positive, negative, or no effect on performance. I have vf39 and all the goodies, TMIC, UTEC, and so on. Right now I am running the UTEC on their stage 4 map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2005, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

brewpubeaver is an unknown
of course use any type of gas with higher octane rating will increse your power. it will also mess with your timing. i am not sure on how the utec will handle this. but if you are running stage 4 you should have bigger injectors and fuel pump?
#3 Old 04-13-2005, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
He does.

From his profile:
Speed Mods
IHI VF39 Turbo (USDM STi) Perrin uppipe AVO Turboback Exhaust STi 550cc Injectors Walbro 255lph fuel pump Perrin Fuel Rails APS Top Mount I/C ATI Triple Gauge Pod Autometer Boost, EGT, AFR Gauges HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer AEM Short Ram GFB Hybrid BOV TurboXS UTEC w/ remote map selector STi shift knob

I know that with higher octane fuel you can get more power and reduce your chances of detonation, but I am not sure running race fuel with a map that was tuned for a much lower octane is a good idea. I personally wouldn't do it, unless I had a custom tune made for race fuel.
#4 Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Running gas with higher octane will NOT increase your power. All gas will make the same amount of power. The higher octane is for knock prevention. That is good when running high boost, high compression, or both. Most race cars won't run on regular gas because there is so much pressure inside the cylinder.

But, running race gas won't hurt. What most people do is run a higher boost level with race gas. You should be able to run 2-3 psi more than normal when running it.

Just be sure it's unleaded gas. Never put leaded gas in your car (unless you like buying O2 sensors).
#5 Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jwrx
Lightbulb

from what ive been told, octane serves to prevent detonation. running high octane fuel alone would be contrary to your performance needs. using higher octane fuel in conjunction with more boost or a bump in compression would help extract more power. i would think then using a fuel with an octane rating that keeps you on the borderline of detonating would yield the most power.

im going drag racing next weekend, and i was thinking about getting the most power i could with my wrx as is. a stock wrx needs at least 91, right? you cant get 91 around here, i think 92 or 93 is the lowest. if i ran half a tank of 89 and half a tank of 93 i could get 91 octane. (89+93/2=91) im assuming this should be able to provide the most power for my situation, and the same basic idea should apply to you.

are there any chemists onboard able to explain in any more detail?
#6 Old 04-21-2005, 06:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I wouldn't run 91 if I had the chance to run 92 or 93. I have never run less then 93 and usually get 94 if they have it.
#7 Old 04-21-2005, 11:10 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I have heard of detination w/ the 91 octane. Always use the highest octane possible.
#8 Old 04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

skiingjohn is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to skiingjohn
Thats weird, in Colorado there is NO gas above 91 octane, I wonder why that is.
#9 Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jwrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
I have heard of detination w/ the 91 octane.
i could see that on a modified engine running more boost, or maybe running too lean, but not on a stock motor.
#10 Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I ran 91 octane in my car for like 5 miles because I needed a fillup but they only had 91. Ran noticeably worse w/ turboback and AP.
#11 Old 04-26-2005, 02:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

candela is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to candela
ya most states west of Texas have only 91octane availabel at most pumps... its a horrbile thing for performance minded individuals.

No race gas does not make mroe power, it enables you to make more power (vehicle). And yes you can run leaded in there every now and then (only at track or at most very few times a month) becuase it will have ill effects on your o2 sensor(s). However c16 (117-118) octane is candy to a turbo motor and you can really get a huge power gain if tuned on it. Use it onc a month at the track or so, just dont expect to long of life out of your o2 (not a dramatic difference as long as you dont run mroe than a few gallons threw it). It may react a little slow after the leaded fuel is out, but it will slowl come back to normal after a few mins.

c16 leaded = EJ20 crack
#12 Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
leaded gas is really really bad for your motor not just your o2 sensors. leaded gas is true race gas because of the fact that even cars that dont have o2 sensors(old school american cars) tend to get gunked up and need to be rebuilt. the only reason people run leaded gas is because it keeps egts wayyyyyyy down. and doesnt need extra fuel to be added just to keep egts down..

soo moral of the story dont run any leaded race gas.. unless you have a drag car ..