Subaru WRX Forum banner

Quick retarded question???

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  brouib 
#1 ·
Ok guys I bout an ebay cold air intake (Like an idiot) and I cut it like damn near in half to make it a short ram (Like an idiot) because I was afraid of water getting into my motor. Don't feel like explaining why. But as soon as I did that my maf was acting stupid. I thought it was the turbo sucking in to much air that made it retarded but they pointed out something interesting. A 20g isn't big enought to f up the maf. Makes sense right.

So could it be that I cut the intake pipe all stupid??? I am about to order another intake just wanted to know so I don't order a big maf intake and just get a regular intake. Thanks for anyone who responds.

Oh and I know that was stupid so no one has to criticize. :nono: Lol

#4 ·
Havent seen too many running it on the WRX, but doesnt mean it will work. Im running the Cobb box/intake and putting in my 20G with TMIC saturday. If you dont mind, about what are you putting down with yours?

#5 ·
Yea I haven't heard a lot of them running it either. But I like to be different to try things out. I haven't gotten my car dynoed yet. I am tryna get the intake plus I have a front mount I wanna put on before the dyno. Also modify my injectors. I am doing an opensource cause I don't have the money for the utec right now.

I heard that a TMIC is too restrictive for a 20g. I heard a front mount would be a better choice for a turbo that size. Maybe I'm wrong but yea.

Lets see to put it in perspective I have an 04 wrx and I ran my buddies 08 350z HR and I took him by half a car length. I could have taken him by more but my damn full boost kicks in at like 5300 rpm Lol and everytime I shift I am out of boost. He had Exhaust, Test Pipes, Dual Intakes. That car is nasty too. I am looking to be putting down in the 3's.

#6 ·
I see, sounds like a beast of a car already then. TMIC will limit me I know, but I have seen them in the 330HP range (on a mustange dyno) with a 20G and TMIC. I dont have the money for a FMIC right now, so the TMIC will do, and give me more to look forward to later.

#7 ·
Yea it is nasty already. Well you have the 2.5 so you are going to spool that 20g nasty. :D
I actually have a question for you newtothegame. How can I drop my rpm when my boost kicks in??? I am going to do the hybrid swap soon but I just wanna know if there is a way to drop it while I still have the 2.0 Block.

#10 ·
Dude, dont be sorry at all, its what we are here for. Perrin does make one, I know there are a few others out there, just dont know off the top of my head. But yes opensource is a type of tune or tuning for the car. If you can find someone that has a map with your mods are next to the same, or someone who can get you a dummy map to get started and log your car and tweak it from there.

#11 ·
Yea man I know just don't like asking a lot of questions but its best when I don't know. Ok well I will look into making that one of my mods in the next month before I get tuned. Thanks again for the answers. Oh and let me know how your tune goes and how much you put out if you don't mind and let me know what you think of the 20g. I love mine :)

#12 ·
Its better to ask than to find out the hard way. Keep me posted on it. Oh trust me you will hear about it on here and hopefully have a video to accompany it. Im stoked. I hope to be able to get two maps if the time permits for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.