questions?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-20-2005, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

I<3wrx+honda is an unknown
questions??

hey, what up? got a few questions fellas...

1.does any1 have the compressor map of the stock 04 sti 2.5 turbo?

2. how efficient is the stock top mount intercooler? say compared to a fmic?

3. whats a near maximum pounds of boost i can run on the stock pistons and rods? .......the stock rods are already forged correct?

4. how strong is the valvetrain?

5. on the stock turbo manifold, whats an ideal turbo for quick spool but boosts all/allmost to redline? (sorry im coming over from t3 hybrid land)

..........thats it all, thank you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
The stock TMIC will work for the stock turbo. If you get a bigger turbo, you definately want to look at a bigger TMIC or an FMIC.
#3 Old 08-20-2005, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

nobody knows?
#4 Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
1.) not a lot of compressor maps out there, especially for OEM type turbos like the IHI series.

2.) the stock TMIC is worthless IMO. If you plan on cranking up the power anyway (with bigger turbos). You have two options, either a big ole TMIC with all the proper mods (heat wrap turbo, IC sparyer, heat wrapped dp, Heat shields etc), or get a FMIC and don't worry about engine bay temps.

3.) I believe you are correct, the crank and rods are forged, however the pistons are NOT, and this is the weak part of that engine set up. Get some forged pistons and you're ready to turn up the boost. Otherwise you're on borrowed time.

4.) If you plan on pushing a higher redline, look into some JDM heads, or upgrade your current ones.

5.) Keep in mind you have extra displacement to work with, this helps with spool. THis question needs to answered with some sort of HP and max boost/RPM expectation. LIke i want to run 400WHP and have max boost by 5K RPM ETC. without that kind of info, many of the 2.5L users are having success with turbos like the deadbolt superzilla/ 20g's (mitsu base turbo). Google deadbolt turbos.
#5 Old 08-20-2005, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

yah ive been researching alot more... i read in most cases bumper supports need to be fabricated to fit a fmic...what is the stock turbo on the 04 sti? is it a td04 or vf-xx? im more into rally/offroad with this car, and not really interested in making it a drag beast..are mid 12's manageable on stock fuel injectors? and im shootin for 325-350whp
#6 Old 08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

usdm sti's are ihi vf 39 equipped. usdm wrx have the mitsu td04.

mid 12's are really going to be pushing the stock injectors beyond what they should, and the turbo for that matter. Getting into the mid 300's on the stocker turbo will be a challenge also without creative mods like race gas, N02, or alcohol injection.

If 325-350WHP is your goal i would look into a bigger turbo, fuel pump, injectors, intercooler ETC.
#7 Old 08-21-2005, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

im split between an vf22 or vf30 and the turbo xs tmic or fmic
#8 Old 08-21-2005, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

the 30 is only slightly bigger than the 39, and the 22 is an older design that is only slightly bigger than the 30. Maybe 10 WHP difference between them and that's it. IMO not a worthy upgrade when considering turbos.

if you're looking to tap some power and your car is stock, start with exhaust and engine management and see how you feel about the power level. If you want more, SKIP the IHI VF line and look into bigger turbos. If you're already at stage 2 and want more i already answered your question.

I personally have a TMIC with all (ok most of) the supporting mods and love it.
#9 Old 08-21-2005, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I personally think the VF line is a good choice for a street car. No, they don't produce the big top end numbers of the larger turbos, but they make much more power than stock, and still retain very good drivability.

I have a VF34 on my car, and even with a FMIC there is very little lag.
#10 Old 08-21-2005, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

im looking into a zilla td05 18g now but need to know if the stock vf39 are water cooled also or just oil??
#11 Old 08-21-2005, 02:59 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
VF39 is water and oil cooled.
#12 Old 08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

niiiiice, so its basically a direct swap over now