question...w/ noise and exhuast - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-08-2005, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

dreamofwrx is an unknown
question...w/ noise and exhuast

alright, here is my problem. i have the helix dp and the bosal catback with a wagon. now i have problems mating up with dp and catback and found out recently that is because the dp is flat flange and cat back is doughnut. right now i used a paste called muffler mender and it has sealed it pretty well...pretty well means very slight slight leakage on the top of the flange. however the exhaust is very droney, or reverberating (whichever makes more sense to you) at a low rpm(anything below 2500) my question is if i get this welded to correctly mate up will this drone go away. i was thinking about combining some part of the bosal and stock cat back to see if i find a better combo with noise and flow. since i have the dp and cat back sealed i was thinking about putting the stock axle back on and leaving the bosal intermediate pipe. any advice opinions or similar experience would help....or hell if you want to buy my bosal cat back let me know. its the dual tip.

drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
the only way to get rid of droning in your wagon is find an exhaust that has a resonator. j-spec tuning has a new bosal twin tip with a resonator. it is a full 3 inch too. no droning. you can call them and see if you can get the midpipe only. that should do it. the flange on it is also different than the one u are using too.
#3 Old 10-09-2005, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
Well..I get a drone when driving to slow for a higher gear...is that what you are talking about?

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#4 Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

dreamofwrx is an unknown
well i do shift early yes....i always shift at 2000 rpm....unless of course im driving quickly for whatever reason. ive been reading on nasioc about a magnaflow resonator to add. j-spec already said that bosal is not providing just the intermediate pipe....that would make things alot easier if i could buy that though. oh yeah, and the stock axle back does not like to be mated with the bosal intermediate....takes quite a bit of elbow grease.
#5 Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
There isnt anything wrong with going to 5k every once in a while. Shifting at 2k is a little excessive and I understand gas is extremely expensive but come on, give it a lil gas!
#6 Old 10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

dreamofwrx is an unknown
yeah yeah.....every once and a while....and i have certain turns i like to take fast....and if someone wants to challenge me, but other than that i just dont see the point in gassing it, especially when i have to pay over 40 bucks to fill up...
#7 Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
2000 RPM shifts? That is bogging the engine. Try 3000 RPM shifts, you should get better mileage.
#8 Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

dreamofwrx is an unknown
you get better mileage from reving higher?
#9 Old 10-12-2005, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

slug1 is an unknown
the idea is not that higher RPM's get you better gas mileage, or that RPM's are the only factor. the idea of bogging the engine down at 2 grand means that for you to move up on the rpm scale you have to floor the gas and open up the throttle =low rpm but a lot of gas.
also if you run the car too low on rpm you get that shaking sensation, that is the quickest way to kill and engine. The pistons are not moving fast enough to keep everything fluid and balanced.

drive the car at 3 grand, I get about around 28mpg doing it that way!
#10 Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
well, if you're in too low a gear, it's not fuel efficent. Trying to accelerate at 1800rpm will burn gas and you won't get very far. At 1500rpm you could floor it and you wouldn't even feel much difference. The WRX is much more efficent between 2000 and 3000rpm. I find the best fuel efficency when I keep it at 2500-3000rpm
#11 Old 10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

rich8669 is an unknown
Come on. Are you driving miss daisy around town. You have to at least let the turbo spool up.
#12 Old 10-14-2005, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

dreamofwrx is an unknown
learn something new everyday....thanks guys.