Question about Uppipe, DP, and catback - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

04rex is an unknown
Question about Uppipe, DP, and catback

Hi, i have a quick question. I'm new to the turbo scene. I've done some research and learned that if you add a CAI it causes the car to run lean, and all you really have to do is put in a K&N filter and remove the resonator and that is good enough. Now, my question is that if I install a Helix up-pipe, down-pipe with high flow cat and Greddy Evo 2 cat-back exhaust, will i have to do any engine management at all? i read somewhere before that if you replace all three pieces, that you still or should do some sort of engine management so the car can run better. is it true? do you need engine management, or will the car run like stock, except for the obvious added HP and sounds??

thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2005, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

bradley03 is an unknown
You don't have to have EM. Your car should run fine without it, but EM will help maximize the amount of HP you get out of those mods. You are correct about the CAI, good choice with K&N drop in.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-29-2005, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
full exhaust catless will make u very happy. cai is not worth it. and removing the resonator won't do anything. sound is barely noticable and it can cause low end torque loss. not worth doing it!
post #4 of 6 Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
I would not agree with the CAI issue. IF and ONLY IF you get the car pro tuned it is fine.

Stock it is true it runs to rich, If you get a pro tune it changes the fuel/air ratio and curve. Anything you do to the car alters this....the pro tune is the key to fixing this. Dont do it unless a pro tune is in mind.

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #5 of 6 Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicsWrX
I would not agree with the CAI issue. IF and ONLY IF you get the car pro tuned it is fine.

Stock it is true it runs to rich, If you get a pro tune it changes the fuel/air ratio and curve. Anything you do to the car alters this....the pro tune is the key to fixing this. Dont do it unless a pro tune is in mind.

i disagree with both.

first, the issue with the CAI's is that they are VERY inconsistant! it is impossible to tune a system to perform well with an inconsistant intake system no matter what you are using.

second, the CAI's cause your car to run lean not rich. it is this lean condition that is responsible for the hp increase, it is also the same lean condition that is harmful to your motor.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

bradley03 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot04
i disagree with both.

first, the issue with the CAI's is that they are VERY inconsistant! it is impossible to tune a system to perform well with an inconsistant intake system no matter what you are using.

second, the CAI's cause your car to run lean not rich. it is this lean condition that is responsible for the hp increase, it is also the same lean condition that is harmful to your motor.

I 100% agree. I don't know about a protuned AP but I have a UTEC and when I bought the car it had a CAI on it and I was told they wouldn't even attempt to tune my UTEC if I was running a CAI. I was also told that CAI are too inconsistant to tune around. I imagine it's the same with the AP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement