question about crank pulley - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-31-2003, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
question about crank pulley

Is a crank pulley worth the money? Is there anything bad I should know about? Will I see a better quarter mile time? Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2003, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
possible on lowering your QM time..but doubtful. it iwll help the engine to rev quicker. you may have some low speed driveability issues..ie...hunting idle, and its easier to stall at low rpms..but the top end tradeoff is worth it, IMO

JOEY
#3 Old 08-31-2003, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
Thanks Im looking for a part under 300dollars that could improve my quarter mile time. I already have an uppipe, downpipe, and soon purchasing the utec.
#4 Old 09-01-2003, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
Go for the pulley. It should knock about a tenth off your ET. Switching the engine, trans, and diffs to full synthetic fluid is another way to trim some time if you haven't done it already.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
#5 Old 09-01-2003, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Switch to synthetic, that ###### the best thing you could do for your car, besides making it go faster, hehe. And heres a link for a pretty good crank pulley http://www.fastwrx.com/bilalcranpul.html . nice deal too.

Che
#6 Old 09-01-2003, 02:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
Note: The factory crank pulley incorporates a harmonic dampener, and the billet aluminum pulley does not. Removing the harmonic dampener may have an effect on the lifespan of the engine

What does that mean?
#7 Old 09-01-2003, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

it means it may have vibration issues....the factory one is so heavy so it can absorb the vibrations and shocks of the engine running...ie, the shocks of the crankshaft and rods when they suddenly change direction 7000 times per minute....it helps to smooth the output of the engine. i have yet to se anyone that has had issues with this..but it is a risk you must be willing to take when you install the pulley.

IMO....the Perin pulley is the BEST one out there..not too light, and fits nicely. try not to get a underdriven set, if you ar gonna be driving the car on the street...the underdrive effectively slows you accessories down, reducing the output of any crankshaft driven accessory. IE..your AC compressor wont turn as fast, and the ALTERNATOR wont either. if you keep the revs up..you wont have that much of a problem...but a lot of guys i have seen do this install have had issues with charging systems afterwards.

again...just my "slightly" educated opinion..

JOEY
#8 Old 09-01-2003, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
so just installing the perrin crank pulley im going to have issues?I do drive my car in the street.
#9 Old 09-02-2003, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

not likely....but there is a risk...
i have yet to see anyone have issues with the perrin pulley, it is a NICELY made piece, unlike some of these other cheaply made pieces..
#10 Old 09-02-2003, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
what about the autospeed crank pulley? is that nicely made?
#11 Old 09-02-2003, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Never heard of them. Usually "never heard of" = "not good".
#12 Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxracer14 is an unknown
i was just thinkin if im wrong correct me if u get a crank pulley and it doesnt let ## eletronics get the charge they need then can u just get a grounding kit to fix that if im wrong then tell me and wouldnt this work for the altornator pulley too
#13 Old 09-02-2003, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally posted by wrxracer14
i was just thinkin if im wrong correct me if u get a crank pulley and it doesnt let ## eletronics get the charge they need then can u just get a grounding kit to fix that if im wrong then tell me and wouldnt this work for the altornator pulley too
First it depends on if you get an underdrive pulley or just a plain lightened pulley.

An underdrive pulley is typically lightened also but is smaller in diameter which nets slower read less turns from the accessories. Typically car manufacturers design the alternator to run at peak charge at an rpm that will be commonly driven steadily at. Say 45 mph and the rpm is 2400 then the "ideal" output of the alternator is at this point with stock pulley. Using an underdrive pulley the car must now turn more rpm to turn at the same rate it did at 2400 rpm with the stock pulley say it's 2700 now which is a higher rpm that you almost never hit. BINGO the baattery is not being charged as fully as it was before because the alternator is not operating at peak efficiency as often as it was with the stock diameter pulley.

Using a lightened pulley (not underdriven) will not change the speed the accessories turn at. It only lessens the amount of weight the engine has to turn when starting and running. I'd imagine the car starts better with the light pulley also?

This applies to all accessories the A/C the power steering pump anything run off belts that go around the crank pulley.

I'm no electrician so don't crucify me.

Hope this helps.
#14 Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
A word to the wise. If you are planning on upgrading your car to like a Stage III or a Stage IV, you may want to think about getting a Lightened Crank with a Harmonic Dampener, or just keep the Stock one on. Many people over at NASIOC have documented problems with the ECU detecting 'Phantom Knock' due to the vibrations associated with the lightened crank pulleys. This in turn lowered their performance because the ECU was retarding timing to lower the occurrence of 'knock'. As soon as they took the lightened crank pulley off, their 'phantom knock' was gone, and their performance was back to where it was.

Just do some research, and think about what you are going to want to be doing with the car in the future.

Blue
#15 Old 09-06-2003, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDemon
A word to the wise. If you are planning on upgrading your car to like a Stage III or a Stage IV, you may want to think about getting a Lightened Crank with a Harmonic Dampener, or just keep the Stock one on.

Blue
Blue,

Is there a company that offers a lightened pulley with dampener? Where can I find one?

Thanks
John