question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
question

Alright I read alot about modding these cars and I have a question. I dont wanna know about brands and what to get just yet so heres my question....I realize subaru put catss in some weird places, so is there a route you can go to free up those restrictions (gain efficiency) AND be emissions legal? I know various parts can make you fail emissions.Im in texas and htey are pretty anal about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgprestige15
Alright I read alot about modding these cars and I have a question. I dont wanna know about brands and what to get just yet so heres my question....I realize subaru put catss in some weird places, so is there a route you can go to free up those restrictions (gain efficiency) AND be emissions legal? I know various parts can make you fail emissions.Im in texas and htey are pretty anal about that.
Removing cat's is illegal in most states, just to let you know. If they do a thurough visual inspection you will fail emissions and maybe it will fail a sniffer test if you remove one cat.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
#3 Old 02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
as far as i know, removing cats is illegal in ALL states. i believe its a federal law. however, most states do not even do a "sniffer" test on cars newer than 96 (because they have obd II) and on top of that. you have awd. they do not have awd dynos in illinois and i would find it amazing if they did anywhere else. there are 3 cats. ont in the uppipe and two in the downpipe. all you have to do is change those tow things and theyre all gone. only thing you have to worry about are cels (which you can clear with a spacer and a resistor or through your ecu) and the issue beyond your control: the dreaded visual inspection
#4 Old 02-02-2006, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

correct me if iam wrong but...how are they going to see inside a downpipe?? Also my question was is there a way you can gain power AND stay completely legal?? would that call for high flow cats?? are all aftermarket down/uppipes catless? if not, which ones with cats are acually worth it?

edit : it is only obII here, i checked at jiffy lube...do those mods disable the cel, or just temporarily disable it (sorry im new to this)
#5 Old 02-02-2006, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

bradley03 is an unknown
Get rid of the one in the upipe that is the least important one and can also be the most dangerous to your car when you start adding horsepower. 2 high flow cats after the turbo should be sufficient enough to pass all tests. You obviously will gain more power without any cats, but that's not legal and they don't have to look inside your downpipe to see that your missing a cat, it's pretty obvious when looking under the car. Helix makes catted downpipes as do a couple other companies. To disable your cel light you will need a couple of cheap resistors that wire into your o2 sensors fooling your ECU into thinking it still has cats. You can get those fixes at most of the places that sell the downpipes and exhaust systems.
#6 Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

04roadtuned is an unknown
i would say go with a de-catted up pipe and leave the rest of the cats on, or just get high flow cats like said before and you should be ok. I see you in texas, im pretty sure they just check to see if you have any cats, if you do im pretty sure you pass. Atleast thats what my brother-in-law says. He works at a shop that does regristration and emissions, and im almost positive that they dont do a sniffer test.
#7 Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Quote:
correct me if iam wrong but...how are they going to see inside a downpipe?? Also my question was is there a way you can gain power AND stay completely legal?? would that call for high flow cats?? are all aftermarket down/uppipes catless? if not, which ones with cats are acually worth it?

edit : it is only obII here, i checked at jiffy lube...do those mods disable the cel, or just temporarily disable it (sorry im new to this)
legally, ABSOLUTELY NOT. removing any cat without reason is against federal law. meanint you cant take it off unless its broken. making your car fast is not always legal. as far as "seeing in your downpipe" cats are wider than the normal piping. when they see that your piping is the same all the way through, they will know that you do not have any cats. the only catted downpipes i have seen still only have one cat. so you are still removing a cat. and on top of that they are freakin expensive. they are really geared towards racers that need to have a cat, not to save the earth. and the cat before the uppipe you should remove anyway. its in no way a good idea to have a cat before a turbo. not to tell you what to do, but most people just get uncatted stuff. i did. you can still pass emissions. its not an issue. keep your stock pipes just in case
#8 Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
it is only obII here, i checked at jiffy lube...
I'm here in texas also. does this mean they just look for the cel codes?
#9 Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
if all they do is an obd II check, yes. they hook up a scanner and make sure that theere are no codes that say your cats arent working. the only other thing they may do is a visual. but just make sure you pull up to the lane with the most lazy lookin burn out possible and insist that you stay in the car to make sure he doesnt mess it up and youll be fine

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#10 Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
would an EcuTek tuned ECU fix the cel codes when I get ti retuned after installing my exhaust?
#11 Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
IMO ecu-tek = waste of money. i would opt for the extra couple hundred $ and go for the cobb. which yes, will erase the codes. otherwise, like i said, you can just use a spacer on the rear O2 and an resistor for the EGT. i dont even have an egt fix and i havent gotten a code. ive been running like this for almost a year. just get the spacer and you ought to be fine.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#12 Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
well the WRX I'm getting already has the EcuTek tuned ECU. So I figure I'll stick with that.
#13 Old 02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek98xc
not to tell you what to do, but most people just get uncatted stuff. i did. you can still pass emissions. its not an issue. keep your stock pipes just in case
Ok, so are you saying you did the resistor/trick the ecu mod into thinking it still has cats? Obviously i was under an impression that dodging emission was tougher that it is...
#14 Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Quote:
Ok, so are you saying you did the resistor/trick the ecu mod into thinking it still has cats? Obviously i was under an impression that dodging emission was tougher that it is...
yeah. i have no cats at all. no cels. the only fix i have is for the rear o2 sensor. the egt is usually fine without modification. if you are planning on keeping a stock ecu for a while, just get the spacer. you can actually make one but i just got one on ebay and it worked fine. fooling an emissions worker is not very difficult. they dont have doctrates

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#15 Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
they dont have doctrates
lol