Subaru WRX Forum banner

putting a turbo on a impreza?

10K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  smores 
#1 ·
for insurance reasons :notgood: i was wondering about adding a turbo and all that to a regular na impreza. anybody have any views, good/bad things to say about this. my insurance would be $400 a month for a wrx. alot cheaper for a impreza. would love some feedback

#5 ·
warranty!!!

slap a turbo kit on an impreza and go take it to the dealer for warranty issues and see what happens...

...buy a wrx, more power better extras and warranty, unless you want to tune the engine for even more power.

I think it is not worth the money to turbo an rs, or "i" ('06 model), buy the wrx man!!Thumbs Up

#7 ·
Off the top of my head, I don't remember what the compression ratio is on a 2.5 N/A engine, but I don't think you'd be able to safely run 14-15 pounds of boost on a stock N/A Subie engine. Don't most of the bolt-on kits only push 6-7 pounds of boost? What are we talking, maybe 200 hp at the crank? You could do an engine swap, but what would that cost? What you'd save in insurance would be the annual difference between the WRX and RS. What you'd lose would be the cost of doing a swap or mod and the headache of upkeep. Plus when you went to sell it, the car might not be worth near what you sunk into it... like mine or any other will be. WTF

$400 a month is pretty d@mn high. Even when I was bad and had a 944, they didn't get me for that much. I'd clean up my driving record, take some driving classes, avoid getting tickets... or if it's your age, just let some birthdays pass. Get the RS now and the WRX or an STi later.

#8 ·
well i'm 22. my problems is i own a 92 chevy silverado that i lowered and all kinds of stuff. built a 383 stroker for it and don't like mustangs or their owners. so i had to show them a chevy pickup could kill them so i did..ALOT! well and i traveled alot when in college. i got pulled over 17 times and had 7 tickets and an accident. so thats why it is so high. i have waited so long for a wrx. i just graduated college for computer engineering. gotta wait to get a job then i think i am gonna get a wrx......its just money right? haha

#12 ·
From

iwantone said:
well i'm 22. my problems is i own a 92 chevy silverado that i lowered and all kinds of stuff. built a 383 stroker for it and don't like mustangs or their owners. so i had to show them a chevy pickup could kill them so i did..ALOT! well and i traveled alot when in college. i got pulled over 17 times and had 7 tickets and an accident. so thats why it is so high. i have waited so long for a wrx. i just graduated college for computer engineering. gotta wait to get a job then i think i am gonna get a wrx......its just money right? haha
What part of PA? Near Pittsburgh Century3 area? go with the rex. Im 20\21 in Nov and insurance RAPES ME! But I already got the network engineer job !Thumbs Up Makn lots of that $$$

Def. WRX 06 is mean with a 2.5l :cool:

#15 ·
iwantone said:
for insurance reasons :notgood: i was wondering about adding a turbo and all that to a regular na impreza. anybody have any views, good/bad things to say about this. my insurance would be $400 a month for a wrx. alot cheaper for a impreza. would love some feedback
If your insurance agent ever pops the hood, and sees what you have, any modded car will go for more. I got in an accident in my Civic, and once they saw my cf hood, CAI, exhaust, and stereo, they jacked me up $100 a month. So.... I switched companies to someone that has never seen my car :sneaky:

But yeah... it's gonna be a lot. New engine, tranny, hood, exhaust, all that stuff. Just go with the original, or nothing :nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.