Pulstar Plugs? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
Pulstar Plugs?

Well hello! It's been a while. Ive been running stage 2 on my 05 wagon for the last 40K with no real problems yet with the exception of a worn out slipping clutch. Thanks to you guys and gals it's been a breeze going from pushrod muscle to a computerized, turbocharged 4 banger with 3 differentials. I changed my plugs 40K ago when I went stage 2 and pulled one the other day to inspect and noticed that the ground strap was white and a little phosphorous red around the electrode. I was thinking about purchasing some Pulstar plus since they have dropped in price 50% since my last change. My real goal is +MPG for obvious reasons since 91 octane round here is $3.69 and I now have to commute 110mi round trip to work. I figured that I'd give 'em a try. What would you guys suggest? should I go one step colder? What stock No.? I average 21mpg with moderate acceleration in city and cruise set at 80 on highway. I guess that's about average...?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. The auto parts store guys around here are no help whatsoever and wouldn't trust them to change my oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There is a reason the price went down... They are junk.... Stick to the NGK's needed for your car.

No such thing as a dumb question.... Don't go next step colder unless you are above "stage2"... Some will argue to do it "right at stage 2".

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you pzr2874. That's the answer I was looking for. I fell victim to online advertising and they got me, hook line and sinker.
#4 Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you would see at least 5 up to 10 more MPG if you went 70 on the highway

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
I run pulstar plugs, but the only reason is because they should last as long as I have the car...one less thing that will ever need to be replaced...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
#6 Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh noes....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh I know it basco. the turnpike I drive on is 75 mph and I....ummm...keep up with traffic. I admit that I'm a little OCD and usually leave with just enough time to get there going 80. I'm currently trying to break that habit. I dunno, I may try 'em just to say I did. I've used NGK in almost every vehicle I've owned. Maybe that's the first step in breaking my habits...
#8 Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You don't need colder plugs for stage 2. If you put colder plugs in and you would have to get retuned for the new ones. Not only that, but some tuners will tell you not to go with colder plugs ever.
#9 Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Stick to NGK Iridium stock heat range plugs and change them every 60k (or 30k if you want): http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103...ug-info-27782/

I tried Pulstar plugs in my 07 WRX a while back and I didn't notice any difference in performance or mpg. After a few thousand miles, I believe one of the plugs malfunctioned because the car threw a variety of CEL codes related to the electrical sytstem, went into limp mode, and the engine sounded and felt horrible - I believe it was misfiring. Luckily, I still had my stock plugs in the garage and when I switched back to them, the probem completely disappearerd. I won't be using Pulstars again because (1) they're too expensive and (2) I'm not convinced they're any better than NGK plugs.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I'd stick to NGK Platinums (you don't need the Lasers) personally. Lots of tuners will also tell you to stay away from Iridiums as well citing that they can be inconsistent and problematic.
#11 Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Justin, you still running coppers?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would have gone with copper plugs since copper is one of the best conductors available for spark plugs and it's relatively inexpensive, but I don't want to go through the hassle of changing them every other oil change or so (~10-15k intervals). Nickel and platinum plugs are ok conductors, but they're mostly used for their extended life span over copper. Iridium is the best of both worlds - good spark and long life. Even though it isn't the best conductor (which is why tuners may sometimes advise against them - if you're that concerned about tuning your car, you should be using copper plugs anyway), but it's extremely hard and it will last the longest of any spark plug material (some are rated up to 100k). Subaru recommends changing the plugs every 60k, so NGK Iridiums fit the bill with plenty of room to spare.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#13 Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Justin, you still running coppers?
Yessir.