Pulley set - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-28-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jeff04 is an unknown
Pulley set

Would the Unorthodox Ultra SS pulley kit be a good mod for a WRX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-28-2005, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
I've been thinkin about the same thing dude. It seems like it would really help out in the hp dept., especially with a forced induction engine like the WRX. Lemme know how it goes...
post #3 of 13 Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

yessir is an unknown
The underdrive pulleys should work fine on a wrx in the performance department and even better due to it being turbocharged. The only downside is that it drains battery quicker and the headlights dim according while accelerating and if you have a big stereo system they wont help that much.
In my oppinion Just get lightweight aluminum pulley kit.
Thats just my say though.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Lightened pullies (stock diameter) should not hurt anything. Underdrive pullies are a very bad idea. Your alternator and A/C compressor are meant to be spun at a certain rpm. With underdrive pullies, alternator failures are extremely common.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jeff04 is an unknown
Is the Unorthodox set an undrive system? Would you say the Perrin pulley would be a better choice?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2005, 07:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

yessir is an unknown
Unothadox is underdrive from what ive seen
Perrin sells light weight crank pulleys
I'm getting the perrin
post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2005, 07:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

yessir is an unknown
I'm not sure about on a wrx but on a DSM underdrive pulleys caused crank and internals problems. I know that they aren't the same car but it just make me never want underdrive. I want my car to last a while.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir
I'm not sure about on a wrx but on a DSM underdrive pulleys caused crank and internals problems. I know that they aren't the same car but it just make me never want underdrive. I want my car to last a while.
I think they're bigger problems with 4 cylinders than with 6 or more.. Some crank pulleys have counter weights to deal with vibrations. Have no idea how applicable it is to the wrx.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
im not one for rolling the dice with my motor, so i wouldnt run a pulley set. 5-10AWHP isnt worth a snaped crank.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fast Wagon is an unknown
Would not run under drive pullys, but I see no problem with the perrin crank pulley b/c it is the same size just lighter. If anyone thinks different let me know, I am looking into one.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

batmeat is an unknown
I would avoid UDP's. Most pulley (especially your crank) are dampened to reduce harmonic vibration. Most aftermarket UDP's are not dampened increasing vibration. If you find a set that is dampened, then you need a full pulley set to keep your accessories spinning at the same rate.
Quote:
With underdrive pullies, alternator failures are extremely common.
I disagree with this statement. The alternator spins slower causing a drain on your accessories so you draw current from your battery, which over a long drive will kill the battery and then your car will quit. A dampened and balanced set of pullies will keep your accessories spinning at the right rpms and you'll be fine. Problem is, I've never found such a set. In short, get a lightened and dampened pulley set.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-30-2005, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Disagree all you want. I have personally seen at least 10 failed alternators in the past year, all resulting from underdrive pullies.

And, just going on simple physics, how do you propse that a balanced set of pullies will spin the accessories at the right rpm? We are talking about underdrive pullies, whose sole purpose is to spin the accessories at a lower rpm to reduce power loss from those accessories.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

batmeat is an unknown
Quote:
And, just going on simple physics, how do you propse that a balanced set of pullies will spin the accessories at the right rpm? We are talking about underdrive pullies, whose sole purpose is to spin the accessories at a lower rpm to reduce power loss from those accessories.
My post was a little unclear. My fault. You can however get pullies that will keep your accessories spinning at the right rpm irregardless of what pullies you use. Thats what I meant by having them balanced, not a weight issue. I've had pullies as well, and had to have custom pulley's made to keep the accessories spining at the right rpm. Sorta defeats the purpose of an UDP set. Belt issues was another problem. I ended up getting rid of it all and going back to stock because the UDP wasn't dampened and started causing problems. My post was simply their advising agains't UDP's and go with a lightened/dampened set. Sorry for the confussion.