professional install on uppipe? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

1sttimetuner is an unknown
professional install on uppipe?

I inherited an 02' WRX wagon, which I have already replaced the exhaust myself (turbo back). Should I have a professional install my uppipe? It seems some people have had some issues post install with power, boost etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-29-2008, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

seanwrxwagon is more helpful than not
You can do it yourself. I have confidence in you. Make sure you read some detailed instructions before you start and use new gaskets.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
If you can handle the turbo back yourself, an up pipe shouldn't be a problem.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
it's a pain if all the bolts are rusted. it took me about 4 hours and thats with a lift and air tools. if you did the turbo back you should be fine with the uppipe but make sure you don't have to work the next day just in case.

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
post #5 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
ditto on the work thing

I did my DP by myself withouth a lift or airtools. started at 5pm was done at 2 am. Hands were really sore the next day
post #6 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
If you did the downpipe yourself, you should be able to acess the uppipe too... Good luck and damn intrepid, that's a serious amount of time working on your car! Longest I have worked was from 7pm till 9:30pm installing a header on brothers Acura integra..... And Hondas are easy to work on! jeeze 9 hours installing the DP? What made it so hard?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #7 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Stripped bolts?
post #8 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

A couple things I learned from doing mine. You should buy an offset wrench for the o2 sensor. Buy it before you start and you won't be tempted to waste two hours trying to get it out with vise-grips or some such nonsense. Also don't be squimish about raising your motor a bit to get some clearance. Get new studs for the new UP. It is not a good idea trying to reuse/extract the old ones. Get a complete exhaust gasket kit as you will need several gaskets, not just the two at the UP. I'm sure there are other things I learned but i forgot what.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
My two cents is use OEM gaskets everywhere, the ones that come with aftermarket UP's and DP's are usually crappy laminated ones, and they will fail (ask me how I know, D'oh !!)

+1 on the o2 sensor advice, it's a pain. I bent a wrench just for that task, but you can buy one with the correct angle too. Having done that job twice, I can tell you, plan on a bit of a long day (4-6 hrs) and have a fresh can of PB blaster ready. Be careful with the banjo fittings for the turbo cooling lines too, they can be brittle.

Heat wrap the UP and DP and use the turbo heat shield, even if you have to modify it to fit, as heat soak robs our cars of power. ...guess that might've been more than two cents worth, huh ?

'02 wagons rule !
post #10 of 20 Old 10-03-2008, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
there are 4 or 5 gaskets you need just for the up pipe install. and yes jacking up the engine definetly helps. i have a cobb turbo heat sheild and it looks good and dose it's job. the biggest probum i had was with the heat sheild on the stock up pipe and manifold as it gets in the way of everything. also you might want to be ready to bu a new egt sensor as they fuse into the up pipe and mine snaped when i tryed to take it out. and yes a fresh bottle of blaster is a great thing to have but i suggest using some on the th day before you start wrking on ittoo. sorry for the long post.

YES 02 WAGONS DO RUL!

post #11 of 20 Old 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RentForSale is an unknown
I did mine myself with a lift and hand tools . If its your first its gonna take you a good portion of the day , but its doable . Not as hard as it is time consuming .

5pm till 2 am for a DP ?!?!?! Sometimes you gotta know when to just give up . Shouldnt take more than an hour .

-NICK-
post #12 of 20 Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
arent we talking about a uppipe???? i'm guessing he ment it took that long for a uppipe. it took me 20 min to do the dp

post #13 of 20 Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyedAWD is on thin ice
Send a message via MSN to BugEyedAWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentForSale View Post
I did mine myself with a lift and hand tools . If its your first its gonna take you a good portion of the day , but its doable . Not as hard as it is time consuming .

5pm till 2 am for a DP ?!?!?! Sometimes you gotta know when to just give up . Shouldnt take more than an hour .
Man, your forgetting the smoke breaks and the beer breaks in between bolts! thats a 9 hour job if you include those with no impact tools.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

+1 for factory gaskets. You can purchase a complete set from vendors such as flatirons tuning.
+1 for PB Blaster used the day before.
I did the up pipe, down pipe, spark plugs, steering rack bushings, cat back, and the fuel filter all at the same time. I would say it took me about 15 hours all together but I could do it all again in about half that. I did not have to remove the banjo bolts on the turbo, maybe I had extra room since I pulled a lot of stuff before I put the up pipe back in.

02 wagons rule.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

chevarian113 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chevarian113
It's an easy DIY, just time consuming. We just did one last week on a friends car. We are total N00bs, and with beer, grabbing dinner, and lots of BS'ing, we had it done in about 8 hours. We used Perrin's directions, which we barely used. It's not that hard, just have a good workspace.