Power Plans - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 01-28-2005, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

ngeren is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
A couple thoughts....
4. You don't need an external waste gate. That only costs you more money (you need custom pipes) and the wastegate on the 18g is as good as anything out there.
I disagree on the wastegate and the 18g, it has flow issues with the internal wastegate. I've discussed this in detail with Clark from Kingpin (as most of us know, one of the best tuners in the country). Clark tells me by running externally gated on an 18G or a Green he can get an extra 30whp.

Here is a good thread I stumbled upon:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pdxwrx/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 01-28-2005, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
He can get an extra 30whp because he can tune the boost exactly with an external wastgate.. it doesnt mean you need one to run it ... imo it isnt worth the extra money buying an external for an 18g.. the 18g makes good power on racegas.. and if your useing race gas why bother because you can turn the boost way up anyway.. and buy tuneing an extra 30whp on pump gas with an external he is tuneing to the max.. not in any means a safe tune.. one batch of bad gas or a big temp change major det..

would i go with an external wastegate if i could.. yeah i would.. is it worth it for most people buying an 18g.. hell no..
post #18 of 30 Old 01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXblurr
He can get an extra 30whp because he can tune the boost exactly with an external wastgate.. it doesnt mean you need one to run it ... imo it isnt worth the extra money buying an external for an 18g.. the 18g makes good power on racegas.. and if your useing race gas why bother because you can turn the boost way up anyway.. and buy tuneing an extra 30whp on pump gas with an external he is tuneing to the max.. not in any means a safe tune.. one batch of bad gas or a big temp change major det..

would i go with an external wastegate if i could.. yeah i would.. is it worth it for most people buying an 18g.. hell no..
If you are running water injection with it, it will keep the detonation down. As far as the cost, I got my external gate for 220$.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-28-2005, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeren
If you are running water injection with it, it will keep the detonation down. As far as the cost, I got my external gate for 220$.
most people running vf22, 18g ect are not useing water injecton.. running the green and up i couldnt agree with you more that an external wastegate is the way to go.and with bigger turbos like the green water injecton is well worth the time and money.but for vf22 and 18g i dont think it is worth the money.. i just think an internal wastegate is more then enuf for an 18g.. But yes if you wanted to spend the money and get a WI kit, and external waste gate and get it dyno tuned.. then yeah it would be worth it.. but you honestly do not need it.. and if you need a bigger kick thier is always race gas. which is alot cheaper then a WI kit..

dont get me wrong though i like water injection. i will be running it in my new setup soon.. WI is tricky to tune and takes more time on the dyno.. thats the only reason i dont think it would be worth it for these mid size turbo setups..
post #20 of 30 Old 01-28-2005, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
most people running vf22, 18g ect are not useing water injecton.. running the green and up i couldnt agree with you more that an external wastegate is the way to go.and with bigger turbos like the green water injecton is well worth the time and money.but for vf22 and 18g i dont think it is worth the money.. i just think an internal wastegate is more then enuf for an 18g.. But yes if you wanted to spend the money and get a WI kit, and external waste gate and get it dyno tuned.. then yeah it would be worth it.. but you honestly do not need it.. and if you need a bigger kick thier is always race gas. which is alot cheaper then a WI kit..

dont get me wrong though i like water injection. i will be running it in my new setup soon.. WI is tricky to tune and takes more time on the dyno.. thats the only reason i dont think it would be worth it for these mid size turbo setups..
Hopefully we can work some magic with my car. I trust Clark 100% on the tuning and so far I've used about the best quality parts that I could find. I'll be sure and let you guys know what I get when we tune late next month (currently breaking in a new clutch and flywheel , don't want to glaze it on the dyno).
post #21 of 30 Old 01-29-2005, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Quote:
Hopefully we can work some magic with my car. I trust Clark 100% on the tuning and so far I've used about the best quality parts that I could find. I'll be sure and let you guys know what I get when we tune late next month (currently breaking in a new clutch and flywheel , don't want to glaze it on the dyno).
Yeah clark does know his stuff.. top 3 if not the best tuner for subbys.. you see him tune a sti with a garett gt35 i think not sure.. but iam sure that he made over 500whp with a stock sti block..
post #22 of 30 Old 01-30-2005, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Quote:
...800 is too big and you will run into idle problems with those...
Can a tuner turn down the fuel pressure at idle to deal with this?
post #23 of 30 Old 03-03-2005, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Yeah clark does know his stuff.. top 3 if not the best tuner for subbys.. you see him tune a sti with a garett gt35 i think not sure.. but iam sure that he made over 500whp with a stock sti block..
Update..

External gate and my water on an 18 G, stock internal netted me an additional 37 whp and 30 lbs tq on a Mustang Dyno. All with a slipping clutch, BOV that was opening early and 21 psi of boost.

I will be putting in a harder spring to fix the BOV issues, replacing my 3 week old Excedy stage 1 clutch with something worth a damn and cranking the boost up to 24-25 psi.

Should be able to get 350-360 whp once I get those updates done, however 332 at the wheels is currently kinda scarey with a stock tranny. :eek:

This was with a Clark Turner tune of course.

My setup prior to my external gate and my water injection only netted 294.
post #24 of 30 Old 03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleubaru
Can a tuner turn down the fuel pressure at idle to deal with this?
After Clark tuned my 785s, they idled like a dream.
post #25 of 30 Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
The problem is with the long term fuel trims in the ECU. You'll eventually need to re-tune the car with injectors that big.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
The problem is with the long term fuel trims in the ECU. You'll eventually need to re-tune the car with injectors that big.
Agree, My car never seemed to want to go into long term fuel correction on my previous idle map. Don't know what Clark did differently.
post #27 of 30 Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Quote:
Cosmo, would you be willing to explain that a bit?
post #28 of 30 Old 03-04-2005, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Agree, My car never seemed to want to go into long term fuel correction on my previous idle map. Don't know what Clark did differently.
What engine management are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleubaru
Cosmo, would you be willing to explain that a bit?
Let me direct you here....
http://www.wrxhackers.com/files/UTEC...10_02_2003.pdf

Fuel trims are discussed on page 18
post #29 of 30 Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
What engine management are you using?
UTEC
post #30 of 30 Old 03-05-2005, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Add a Kaaz or RA gear-set to that list Last night I ripped the teeth off second gear. Seems the stock WRX gearbox doesn't like anything over 300 lbs of torque.