Power Plans - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-16-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TXSnEj20 Send a message via MSN to TXSnEj20
Power Plans

Hey guys, hopefully i'll get my loan through this next week for the parts i'm looking at. Let me know what you think here goes....

TXS Utec (ditching the unichip)
TXS FMIC
TXS Short Intake
Apexi Turbo Timer
Greddy EGT Warning Gauge 52mm
Greddy Oil Pressure Gauge 52mm
Lotek Double A-Pillar Gauge Pod
Perrin/samco Radiator Hose Kit
Perrin/samco Turbo Inlet Pipe
Sti Injectors 550cc
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
TDo5 18g by Deadbolt speeds
Greddy Oil Catch Can
STI RA Gear Set

If anyone thinks i could add any parts or change out parts for better quality let me know! With guidance from Cosmo, i ditched the headers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I say forget the radiator hoses, they add no power. Spend the ridiculous like $235 toward a dyno tune or something. Just my .02 though. And you might want to go w/ bigger injectors like 770s or something of that nature.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
How about PE 650's or 800's ?
post #4 of 30 Old 01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
you should make good power with the 18g. but with the stock trans i would be very careful .. also the 18g likes makeing power in the 20+ psi range... i have noticed with the 18g is that it makes the same power as a vf22 on pump gas.. but soon as you run race gas thats when the true power of the 18g shines.. soo if all you plan on running is pump gas you should just buy a vf22 and save some money..
post #5 of 30 Old 01-17-2005, 01:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

ngeren is more helpful than not
This is what I would change/do (Do it right the first time):

* APS DR725 Instead of the TXS FMIC
* APS Short Ram Instead of the TXS FMIC
* Dyno-Tune as someone stated above
* FP-18G or FP Green (Instead of the Deadbolt setup)
* TiAL 38mm External Waste Gate
* Larger injectors, 550s are small for an 18G, go with something larger. (You will thank me)
* Snow Performance Water Injection Kit
* Lite flywheel (APS/ACT/JUN..etc) (Will help rev the motor faster, however there are two rule of thumbs with this one)

With a good tune you will make close to 350WHP w/ the water and 18G, if you want more than 350WHP go with the "Green" and you can get close to 400WHP.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-17-2005, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
i wold go with the PE 650 injectorts. they will give you the fuel you need, and still allow your car to idle. also, i would look at APS turbos. the SR 40 and SR 50 are NO JOKE!!!! i really want the SR 30, but i have different performance golas than the person looking at an 18g type set-up.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
A couple thoughts....

1. First, you know how I feel about headers....

2. Having just switched from the TurboXS FMIC to the APS DR650, I highly recommend the APS. I from a peak boost of 20 psi to 23 psi on the same map after changing just the intercooler

3. DO NOT GET an APS intake! We had two different ones, and tried it on 4 different cars, and none of them ran well with it. Even with major tuning, we never got them to run well. Get either a Perrin or TurboXS intake.

4. You don't need an external waste gate. That only costs you more money (you need custom pipes) and the wastegate on the 18g is as good as anything out there.

5. I would go with some 650cc injectors

6. Water injection is okay, but definately not necessary. If you want something like that, get a CO2 sprayer for your intercooler.

7. Lightweight flywheels may help your engine rev faster, but with a larger, slower spooling turbo, it hurts more than it helps. The engine revs faster than the turbo can make boost. Also, lightweight flywheels hurt your idle.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
What kinda pricing did you get for the Aps fmic? I didn't the the APS DR650 at their site, just the 725.
I was thinking the PE 650's since they are rated from 300-350 awhp. someone suggested 800's but i think that is over kill. Im planning on adding c02 way down the road. This is major upgrade and well the IC spray is not in the plans for a while.

Loan got approved i gotta sign papers and stuff gotta send through the mail since im not in same state so it'll be 2 weeks until i can start ordering parts. WOohooo. Already pricing out stuff So far the best sites for prices is Gruppe-s and jscspeed. Any1 else got recomendations?
post #9 of 30 Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

JOHNYCAMP is an unknown
Go With The Sti Injectors.(j Spec). I Have Had The 650's With The 18g And It Has Tuning Problems. The Sti's Are Very Easy To Tune.(no Problems Up To 23psi). Also Make Sure That You Add Tension To Your Wastegate And Bov Springs With The 18 G Or You May Have A Bucking Problem. My Car Runs Smooth As Silk With This Little Tuning Trick. Also You Can Pick Up An 18g At Forcedperformance.net For $995.00. As Far As Computer Upgrades Check Out The New Links System If You Are Waiting For Some Cash. The Stock Ecu Can Cause Issues With The Utec At High Boost..
post #10 of 30 Old 01-20-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
Whats your thoughts cosmo? You gonna be my tuner, sti injectors or pe 650's. It is a 250$ difference between em. I know you said to get em. But for a double check b4 i order em.

Johnny camp, i'm going with deadbolt speed's 18g comes with a port and polish, same with wastegate and the turbine exhaust housing (cant think if thats the technical name for it) comes with ceramic coating. Oil and water cooling with all the parts for it for 1200. I think thats a darn good deal. Also comes with lifetime rebuild so if it goes Kaplooey on me i get free rebuild
post #11 of 30 Old 01-21-2005, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
I think your motor will go Kaplooey.. befor the 18g does ..
post #12 of 30 Old 01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSnEj20
Whats your thoughts cosmo? You gonna be my tuner, sti injectors or pe 650's. It is a 250$ difference between em. I know you said to get em. But for a double check b4 i order em.

Johnny camp, i'm going with deadbolt speed's 18g comes with a port and polish, same with wastegate and the turbine exhaust housing (cant think if thats the technical name for it) comes with ceramic coating. Oil and water cooling with all the parts for it for 1200. I think thats a darn good deal. Also comes with lifetime rebuild so if it goes Kaplooey on me i get free rebuild
I think the 650's would be your best bet. I can max out my STi's with a VF34, and your turbo is larger than that. 800 is too big and you will run into idle problems with those. You can run STi's if you don't run a lot of boost, but who wants to do that?
post #13 of 30 Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXblurr
I think your motor will go Kaplooey.. befor the 18g does ..
Thats what the 2.2l and forged internals upgrades will be for

Cosmo, i cant seem to find the aps 650 anywhere(still searching) The only aps i found so far is 725 which is recommended for 500+ horsepower... who the heck is running 500 horses. Anyways whats your take on the 725? Probaly cuases alot of lag huh?

Last edited by TXSnEj20; 01-21-2005 at 05:49 PM.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
2.2L closed deck block.. good choice
post #15 of 30 Old 01-21-2005, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Metal Monkey is an unknown
hey bro ever consicder this it'll be worth the money
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/i...04ed92fe73778c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement