PnP exhaust manifold help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
PnP exhaust manifold help!

Okay so I have been working on my exhaust manifold and it looks pretty good. But I have been looking at pics of other pieces and what not...how the hell do you polish the very inside of the mani where all the curves are? I am using air tools with grinding stones which can only reach so far...Is there something I spray through or what? Just wondering what I am missing. thanks

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Even grimmspeed can't hit there... You can really only PnP the first 3-4 inches of each runner. Maybe if you had some sort of super sweet bendable extension for whatever you're using to grind with you could get it, otherwise you're doing all you can.

The main purpose is to smooth out the transitions from the DS head---> DS runner --->crosspipe ---> PS runner (and DS head ----> DS runner) --->up pipe which is done pretty well by gasket matching the opening (slightly smaller than the gasket of course).

-Chris
#3 Old 04-16-2011, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Buy.com - Flexible Shaft For power tools 1/4" Keyless Chuck

im just looking around and this kinda makes sense but ive never used one for that.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
well thanks for the help guys. I might see if homedepot has one of them..i don't know how well it would work but maybe it's worth a try.

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
#5 Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Extrudehone (google it !)
#6 Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I use extended length shank stones and cutting burrs.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#7 Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I use extended length shank stones and cutting burrs.
ahh yes dumdum I was waiting for you to chime in...I seen the pieces in your pics and they are gorgeous!! So thats all was extended length?...well I am going out of town tomorrow so I will see what I can find...I live in a small town so I am limited to my resources...

And wagonracer - that would be perfect but I am too cheap and will only do it myself lol

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
#8 Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Me too ! Someday maybe....
#9 Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumgartenb View Post
ahh yes dumdum I was waiting for you to chime in...I seen the pieces in your pics and they are gorgeous!! So thats all was extended length?..
Yep. I have some pretty expensive bits. Some of my burrs cost me $30 each. I also have some 8" long catridge roll mandrels and cross buff mandrels. They have paid for themselves though doing porting work. All my stuff had to be ordered. I get some from Ebay and some from here: Cylinder Head Abrasives

#10 Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Great, thank you sir!

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
#11 Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
results

well I installed the pnp'd stock mani on last night. I did a couple logs and used the virtual dyno to test it. The first one is without reflashing, and the second is after the reflash to cobb stage 2. I made 223 whp on the virtual dyno with my el header. Not sure why I lost power after the reflash? and dumdum I plan on taking my turbo out and doing that as well this weekend...any tips? and did you see noticeable results on spool time with yours?
Attached Images

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD

Last edited by baumgartenb; 04-20-2011 at 08:44 PM.
#12 Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
WRXpert

Reflashing drops the IAM. You have to bring the IAM back up before dynoing. So was the first dyno plot with an EL header? For the turbos I port match the inlet and the outlet I mark the depth of the turbine wheel and only port up to there. The idea is to remove material behind it to keep exhaust pressure low behind the wheel for better response. Both the inlet and outlet I generally will give a mirror finish too. I also will knife edge the compressor inlet and smooth out the outlet. The gains here are not as great as the turbine but it can help.

#13 Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
no the dyno plot with the el header was in another thread that you had posted on. And thanks I'm probably going to take it out tonight so I can take my time with it. I'll do another log tonight then to see what it did. I wasn't aware of that. And out of the two graphs above I did make more hp than the el header so that is a success granted I don't have a custom tune...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
#14 Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
right on the dot dumdum! I did another log today which is a day after reflash and seen better numbers. thanks again.
Attached Images

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD

Last edited by baumgartenb; 04-21-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: wrong log