PLEASE tell me its NOT just me - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
PLEASE tell me its NOT just me

ok.. i have a 05 stock WRX... this has been really frustrating me for a few days now after i took some observations... is it just me or does everyone else have this problem where goin from first to second under ful throttle to 6500rpm is difficult?! it is the only gear i have problems with making a smooth transition from gear to gear... it takes the longest for me to shift from 1st to 2nd... when i pull the stick down to second, it doesnt go in right away, it almost takes a second to get the damn stick into second.. goin from second to third to fourth is absolutely NO problem... second gear is the only damn gear that really gets on my nerves ### of its difficulty meshing in... please tell me its not just me... or at LEAST tell me that its some sort of synchro problem and it can be fixed.. its really gettin on my nerves... it takes a split second for me to go from second and on, but takes almost a WHOLE second to get from 1st to 2nd gear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2005, 01:01 AM
dvk
WRXtuners Member

dvk is an unknown
You need to break it in a little. If you had an Audi/VW before, its definately going to shift like that anyhow.
#3 Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Welcome to "The second gear problem" the first time I went to the track in my WRX I thought I had broken soemthing because it was sooo freaking hard to get to 2nd.

Ok first off there is nothing wrong with your car.

There are 2 things that contribute to this problem:
1) The gear ratio in the WRX for 1st and 2nd gear SUCKS. This is the same problem that makes a WRX a b!tch to drive in stop and go traffic.

2) Under light to moderate acceleration, the shift pattern can be more forgiving(especially if you don't have a short throw shifter)

It is actually shaped less like this:
1 3
|--|
2 4

and more like this:
1 3
\--\
2 4

If you are trying to shift straight down like you can during daily driving, that will cause it to be really hard to find 2nd gear in particular.

Try sitting in a parking lot with the clutch in and the engine off and just going through the gears really fast. Try to feel the angle at which you can shift the best. After you do that, it will get a lot easier.
#4 Old 03-21-2005, 11:06 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Get some shifter bushings and replace the tranny fluid w/ MT-90 and the shifting will be a little easier.
#5 Old 03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
goodness its great to hear im not the only person with that problem... i have actually done that thing where u suggest turning off the engine and goin thru the gears... and with the engine off the stick just goes straight down... i dont feel any angles between the gears... and also, i do have the factory short shifter... i will do the bushings and MT fluid.. i hope that fixes it up... BTW, is it easy to change mt fluid?
#6 Old 03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I have never had any problem shifting my WRX. It is easier then most stick cars I drive.
#7 Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
just got my 05 3 weeks ago too and i also have the same problem. Just can't stay in that gear for very long. I'm expecting it to get much better when it is broken in and i get used to shifting it, since my last vehicle was AT. It seems like I more trouble finding fifth though.Try letting off the throttle (slightly) after you have stepped on the clutch. Otherwise just take your time.
#8 Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
my car should be broken in by now, it has like 8k on it...
#9 Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutexk
with the engine off the stick just goes straight down... i dont feel any angles between the gears
Right, but try pulling it back at an angle and find the limit. It will always go straight down under no load with no problem, if you take it down at an angle it will do that just fine too, and it will do that just fine under heavy acceleration.
#10 Old 03-22-2005, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
ive missed second gear at the track from it not going in. ive gotten used to the shift pattern and i havnt done it sence.
#11 Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
It is very easy to drain the tranny fluid, just the one bolt. To fill, you need a funnel with a VERY skinny tube to get into the tranny fluid fill drain.

And about shifting hte WRX, I believe it is harder than most other stick cars.
#12 Old 03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Only thing I have driven that is harder to shift is an old VW Bug with about 110HP (3x stock) and a stock tranny.

easiest was either a 1990 ford probe (VERY forgiving + a very short throw) or a 1983 Isuzu P'up, with that mini-truck you could pop it from gear to gear with NO CLUTCH and no grinding whatsoever... that transmission was soooo over-engineered, it was great.
#13 Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
You want to feel easier shifting? Drive my friend's 84 Toyota pickup with no power steering and no tach for an hour and then driving your WRX will feel like it's a baby's toy. !Laugh!

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fast Wagon is an unknown
I have only had my WRX for a little while. It is an 03 so maybe that is why I have not run into this problem, I will say it is easier than my SAAB 900 which I thought had one of the hardest 1st to 2nd shifts under full boost.