Subaru WRX Forum banner

pick a turbo. give a reason.

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
hi every1, new to the forums and the wrx but no stranger to raceing and such. but i need some advice. im looking for the best turbo to fit my desires on my 04 wrx. im looking for 3-400awhp. but my main concern as it always has been is throtle response and volu. eficency. these are the turbos ive been looking at.

AVO 420
tomie arms m7760
APS SR40
Garrett gt3076r or gt3271
turbonetics gtk 350
feel free to make other sugestions just dont forget to give your reasoning. thanks, Mike. (no reson for it. just pissed my pants when i saw it.)>:beatentod

#5 ·
What about your transmission and internals? With the 2.0 the spool is going to be slower than the 2.5 so a twin scroll would be the best bet for you.
+1. ^^^^ The voice of reason.

400awhp using a stock block and stock tranny is a terrible idea. This will potentially lead to block failure (spun bearing/rod knock) and a grenaided 5-speed tranny.

If you are not going to build up the block or upgrade the tranny you should shoot for closer to 300awhp/300tq. IMHO the perfect turbo for an EJ205/2.0L WRX (excluding twin scroll b/c that is expensive) is the EVOIII 16G. The EVOIII 16G has 300whp potential, great response, minimal lag on a 2.0L, and is an excellent all round turbo for a DD/autoX.

#7 ·
TD05 20G 7cm. Best all around turbo for the 2.0 imo. Not too expensive, reliable, some lag but not too much, 330whp average with a good tune, and not too hard on the drivetrain (although nothing is guaranteed... stuff happens.).

Mine is a P&P'd TD06 20G, and I'm still on the stock engine and trans 2 years running, with a very aggressive tune. I drag race 2-3 times a month and do some road course as well.

If you wanna go rotated, get the GT3071 or 6.

#8 ·
In short. Twin scroll is the exhaust seperated from the heads and entering the turbo hot side in two paths. Not one entrance. It's suppost to spool the turbo faster. Yeah, 400awhp is going to be a postage stamp power curve. I believe someone (over on nasioc) put a GT35R on a 2.0 and the boost didn't kick into the high 5k rpm and it ended quickly. Pretty much not worth it unless your yanking gears going down the 1/4 mile. If you want quick responce and 300awhp is enough. EVO3 16G or start looking for (expensive route) twin scroll turbos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.