Perrin Crank pulley - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Question Perrin Crank pulley

Was looking into getting the Perrin crank pulley but wanted to see reviews on it first.
I know weight reduction is good but does the crank pulley give you a noticeable improvement?

It says it does but then again companies can sell bacon to a pig also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
No. I did not notice a damn thing after installing mine.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#3 Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quicker revs, but nothing mind blowing.
#4 Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
No. I did not notice a damn thing after installing mine.
Ditto.

The main benefit I get from it is the satisfaction of knowing I installed it myself and I'm happy to include it as another part in my mod list (mostly because it sounds impressive to people who don't know the truth about it). I saw a before/after video with a tachometer view and the needle after the aftermarket lightweight crank pulley was installed revved slightly faster than the one before the install. That leads me to believe it does benefit the car in some way - maybe it actually does free up a hp or more, who knows.

More pulley info here: Pulley FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Honestly, don't think too hard about this one. If you have 100 bucks (+/-) to blow and it will make you happy, then go for it

I've had my Perrin lightweight crank pulley on my car for almost 70,000 miles now and I'm still happy I bought/installed it.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#5 Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

They make it sound so impressive that its way lighter than the OEM pulley and gives you quicker TR.
I guess so far the one they got right was the install?
I think I'll wait this engine dresser out till I have the money.
Thanks for the input guys.
#6 Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I wouldn't toss it out as an engine dresser. I've had mine on my WRX for so long that I forget if I noticed a difference when installed, but there is no doubt that loosing rotating mass will give you small horsepower gains. A year or so ago I put one on a '95 Impreza 1.8 and the difference in performance and MPG was quite noticeable.
#7 Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Vew

I wouldn't waste your money. I can see quicker revs but I can't see horsepower gains. In any case, it's not noticeable. The problem with this crank pulley is that it is a solid machined piece. The factory one is two pieces with rubber sandwiched in the middle which acts as a harmonic dampener. I have an old SAE article somewhere on a Subaru engine that basically stated it's important to have that dampener at higher RPMs to reduce unwanted vibration. So it's not a risk free mod either.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
There are two sides to the harmonic damper issue. Taken from Unabomber's Manifesto, Pulley FAQ:

"Isn't replacing the stock harmonic damper (pulley) bad? Subarus do not come with a harmonic damper or balancer like some other vehicles do. For other manufacturers' vehicles, this is a legitimate concern. Proof:

'Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.'

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Customer Service Department
Subaru of America, Inc."

I think you're right about the high rpms thing though - sometimes the lightweight crank pulleys create a "false redline."

Bottom line: install it at your own risk. If there are any negative issues, revert back to stock. Most people don't experience any serious negative issues; most are slightly positive.

John
#9 Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Perrin Pulley is fine. It is the underdrive pulley's that cause the problems. There Perrin is the same size as stock, just made with lighter materials. Thus, less rotating mass and more efficient revs.
#10 Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
There are two sides to the harmonic damper issue. Taken from Unabomber's Manifesto, Pulley FAQ:

"Isn't replacing the stock harmonic damper (pulley) bad? Subarus do not come with a harmonic damper or balancer like some other vehicles do. For other manufacturers' vehicles, this is a legitimate concern. Proof:

'Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.'

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Customer Service Department
Subaru of America, Inc."

I think you're right about the high rpms thing though - sometimes the lightweight crank pulleys create a "false redline."

Bottom line: install it at your own risk. If there are any negative issues, revert back to stock. Most people don't experience any serious negative issues; most are slightly positive.
I've seen that letter. And I saw your point back then. I agree we do not have a harmonic balancer. But reading about the purpose of the way the factory pulley was designed in an SAE document, regardless that it was an older legacy engine, the pulley I pulled off was pretty much the same concept. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to design the pulley in two pieces with a rubber medium in the center. It would have been cheaper and more cost effective to make it out of once machined piece.

I have the document on a HD at work. I'll see if I can dig it up and post the important pieces.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Vew

Well, Subaru calls it a balancer...

The cover of the document.

Name:  cover.png
Views: 2906
Size:  47.8 KB

The excerpt about the pulley I pulled out.

Name:  data.png
Views: 3012
Size:  26.6 KB

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#12 Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting

John
#13 Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Guess it doesn't make that much of a difference if you keep the OEM pulley or aftermarket since noone has stated anything about abnormal vibration after installing a aftermarket pulley.

Though the aftermarket does state to be lighter but I guess there's pro's and con's to anything you put on that is aftermarket.
#14 Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm keeping the oem pulley on in my build.... I'll loose enough rotating mass with the carbon clutch and lightweight flywheel. Add in the drive shaft and a crank pulley isn't going to be noticeable. It's such a small diameter it doesn't do much anyways in reducing its weight.

-Chris
#15 Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I've kept my OEM pulley but like Chris I've lost alot of weight with the lightened flywheel and clutch, in addition my light weight driveshaft but I will say those mods did really increase throttle response and the motor revs way freer, I'm not sure how a pulley would perform but for the price it may not be bad just to give it a whirl and if you don't like it I'm sure you could sell it on the forums almost for cost

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt