Ordering this weekend... - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bullit is an unknown
If you want to change your intake, get a perrin short ram. You won't be happy with a cold air. You won't add any real power to your car by changing the intake system, so it's pretty much for looks and sound. You'll be able to hear the bypass valve, and it looks pretty good with all that polished alluminum under you hood. The stock system is pretty well designed. I got a cold air, and I'm taking it off, as soon as I get some money for a short ram. Don't feel like putting the oem parts back in.

Your gauge make a whistling sound when you boost, you may be leaking, but I don't know how that could happen. Was it always like that? Take it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Racer
The only thing a K&N would do is give you a tiny gain in pre-spool performance, and if you are lucky it will make it so you will hit full boost 100rpms sooner.

Your turbo is capable of pulling air through the filter MUCH better than the intake stroke of a cylinder, so the filter is not as much of a limiting factor as in an N/A car.

remember, with an n/a car the engine is sucking "As much air as it can get" and with a turbo it is sucking "As much air as it wants" changing the filter will make it easier to suck the air it wants, but that is a huge difference from an n/a car where it will actually change how much air it can get.
Doesn't make sense to me.. If stock intakes weren't a restriction than stock backpressure wouldn't be either. But you get noticeable gains replacing the exhaust. You also get gains replacing the intake manifold.

I would think that an intake would be MORE of a restriction to a turbo'd car, since it's relying on the extra air needed to multiply power output.

-dp
#18 Old 03-17-2005, 02:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Doesn't make sense to me.. If stock intakes weren't a restriction than stock backpressure wouldn't be either. But you get noticeable gains replacing the exhaust. You also get gains replacing the intake manifold.

I would think that an intake would be MORE of a restriction to a turbo'd car, since it's relying on the extra air needed to multiply power output.

-dp
The WRX intake is already designed very well, and from what ive learned turbos are very good at sucking alot of air so if there is just a little bit of restriction IE the stock intake, it really shouldnt make much of a difference.

Mark
#19 Old 03-17-2005, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri

-dp
The exhaust is doing much more work than the intake. The intake has the turbo spooling up and drawing air through it. The exhasust has to spin the turbo itself.