Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ordering this weekend...

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Cosmo 
#1 ·
I've heard that all exhausts give pretty much the same hp, so I was wondering if this setup would give me about the same power/times as what Cobb was stating (stage 2) on their website(http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/power-s.html#stage2) and it would all work together.

1. Helix Up-pipe - $179
2. Helix Downpipe - $259
3. Borla Hush Catback Exhaust - $499
4. Cobb Access Port Engine Management - $595
5. K&N Filter - $50

I want a quiet exhaust so I figured this would be the best route. Thanks.
-Justin

#6 ·
Cosmo said:
That's a good plan if you aren't planning on doing anything else to your car.
Why is it only good if he isn't going to do anything else? is it because of the cobb access port instead of a UTEC?

I only ask because that is exactly what my plan to start with is, except a UTEC instead of cobb access port and no K&N.

Thanks,

Mark

#7 ·
AccessPort will only support the mods that the shelf maps dictate. If you have a wrx you also have the option of going "stage 2.5" which is VF30/34 and pinks.

I have the Cobb catted downpipe along with the borla hush catback on my STi, and had just the catback on my WRX before. You WILL know that it has an aftermarket exhaust, especially under throttle. It's not like you're putting on a higher flowing exhaust that will sound like stock. That said, I love the sound of car now, and it hasn't attracted any unwanted attention from the police. (yet, knock on wood)

-Trevor

#8 ·
What's more restrictive, the downpipe or the stock catback part of the exhaust?

highflow catted downpipe + catback exhaust or
catless downpipe + stock exhaust ?

Why don't you guys like K&N filters? I haven't heard of a car yet that hasn't seen gains on a less restrictive filter element..

-dp

#11 ·
dmitri said:
Why don't you guys like K&N filters? I haven't heard of a car yet that hasn't seen gains on a less restrictive filter element..
-dp
The only thing a K&N would do is give you a tiny gain in pre-spool performance, and if you are lucky it will make it so you will hit full boost 100rpms sooner.

Your turbo is capable of pulling air through the filter MUCH better than the intake stroke of a cylinder, so the filter is not as much of a limiting factor as in an N/A car.

remember, with an n/a car the engine is sucking "As much air as it can get" and with a turbo it is sucking "As much air as it wants" changing the filter will make it easier to suck the air it wants, but that is a huge difference from an n/a car where it will actually change how much air it can get.

#12 ·
Sorry dont kno how to post a new thread

ok i gotta ask a few questions
I know every seems to say cold air intakes are not made good for the Wrx because of the harsh bends the air has to travel thorugh. But if u put one on and u have you're car customed tuned will it make a difference. I went to Speed Technik in Norwalk, CT and i asked to get my car customed tuned with ECUTEK and they said i should get a CAI. I currently have a full APS turbo exhaust, Perrin TMIC and turboxs boost controller. So i was wondering if tunning it makes a difference or should i not get the CAI. And if i do get it do i have to worry about water getting in or it making my car lose power. Also I seem to have a whistling sound coming from my Gauges they are the stock gauges from Subaru. It gets really annoying so if anyone knew how to get rid of it could they tell me.

Thanks

#15 ·
cold air intakes

I dont kno what i am goin to do. I might put in the intake. But i am definetly getting it tuned with ECUTEK. But dont u need to take the stock air box out when adding more horsepower. But can u give me any advise with my gauges they make weird whislting noises when u the boost gauge goes over 0.

Give me some advice i listen to everything

#16 ·
If you want to change your intake, get a perrin short ram. You won't be happy with a cold air. You won't add any real power to your car by changing the intake system, so it's pretty much for looks and sound. You'll be able to hear the bypass valve, and it looks pretty good with all that polished alluminum under you hood. The stock system is pretty well designed. I got a cold air, and I'm taking it off, as soon as I get some money for a short ram. Don't feel like putting the oem parts back in.

Your gauge make a whistling sound when you boost, you may be leaking, but I don't know how that could happen. Was it always like that? Take it back.

#17 ·
Rain_Racer said:
The only thing a K&N would do is give you a tiny gain in pre-spool performance, and if you are lucky it will make it so you will hit full boost 100rpms sooner.

Your turbo is capable of pulling air through the filter MUCH better than the intake stroke of a cylinder, so the filter is not as much of a limiting factor as in an N/A car.

remember, with an n/a car the engine is sucking "As much air as it can get" and with a turbo it is sucking "As much air as it wants" changing the filter will make it easier to suck the air it wants, but that is a huge difference from an n/a car where it will actually change how much air it can get.
Doesn't make sense to me.. If stock intakes weren't a restriction than stock backpressure wouldn't be either. But you get noticeable gains replacing the exhaust. You also get gains replacing the intake manifold.

I would think that an intake would be MORE of a restriction to a turbo'd car, since it's relying on the extra air needed to multiply power output.

-dp

#18 ·
dmitri said:
Doesn't make sense to me.. If stock intakes weren't a restriction than stock backpressure wouldn't be either. But you get noticeable gains replacing the exhaust. You also get gains replacing the intake manifold.

I would think that an intake would be MORE of a restriction to a turbo'd car, since it's relying on the extra air needed to multiply power output.

-dp
The WRX intake is already designed very well, and from what ive learned turbos are very good at sucking alot of air so if there is just a little bit of restriction IE the stock intake, it really shouldnt make much of a difference.

Mark

#19 ·
dmitri said:

-dp
The exhaust is doing much more work than the intake. The intake has the turbo spooling up and drawing air through it. The exhasust has to spin the turbo itself.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.