Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ordered VF30, STi injectors, Walbro pump

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  fc735 
#1 ·
Ok,,, put the order in with Gruppe-S...

anyone done business with them before... seem to have best prices... I'm paying $1280 shipped for Turbo, injectors, pump & kit. Anything else i will need for install?

How's the install on injectors? they are in the sides of the manifold, correct? Does the manifold have to be removed? Or can the injectors just be swapped right out... How bout the Walbro? is that located at the gas tank, or in the engine bay? How hard is it to swap out? I'm psyched... this will be TXS stage 4 for me... can't wait to see how much more mid-range and top she's got... i hear its significant...running stg 3 now... plus this should lower the intake temps (since IHI doesn't work as hard as stock turbo when producing exact same boost pressure, it won't get as hot) and the injectors should not need to run beyond 85%... i know for sure i've been whooping on my stock injectors with stage 3.... at or above 95%. This is last engine mod i desire... any more and i'm thinking huge dollars must be spent... clutch, driveline issues... plus alreay needing better brakes, suspension... but oh well... i don't autocross or anything... just looking to be able to pull away from any SRT-4's on the highway at 65mph... figure with a REX that TXS claims will run into the 12's should be able to at least pull with or pull away from the SRT-4, M3, C5, EVOIII, STi, SVT, ect... guess we'll see :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Alllrighty then........ Here's the deal:

The Injectors are a beoytch to install. Get the directions from TurboXS and you won't have to remove the intake manifold to do the install. This does not mean it won't be hard to get to. Those Green Brackets are a bit of a problem to reach some of the bolts. Research on www.nasioc.com and you should find some info on how to reach some of the bolts with more success.

The pump is located in the Gas Tank. Not hard to get to, though you'll need to remove your rear seats to access the area.

You'll love the pull. I have Stage IV, but with the Unichip and I've noticed my EGTs skyrocket if I'm in too high of a gear and I put my foot on it..... so it is sometimes hard to do WOT runs on the highway. EGTs are fine if I do a run starting in 1st up until I want to shut her down.

Hope that helps. BTW, if you're not having someone do this install, make sure you have some friends there to help you out.

Blue

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Blue Demon...

My dad is mechanic for a living...

He's been at it for 35 yrs and owns his own place... He's not well trained to deal with the more modernized Asian vehicles of today, but show that man and bolt and he's got a special wrench that can get to it... So i'm hoping if its just a matter of hard to access nuts and bolts, we shouldn't have too much trouble...

Does TXS have instructions on the full install... turbo, injectors, and pump?

Also, do you have your unichip tuned for the mods you've got? I'm guessing if anything my EGT's should stay put or go down now... I'm figuring the IHI will create the same psi with less work, therefore less heat generated in the process... And with more capable injectors, should have more fuel to be supplied if and when necessary... my EGT's actually start to tail off a bit once i'm WOT in 3,4, and 5th gears... Its when i'm moderate to hard throttle (just before the ECU decides to give full fuel that my EGT's have been spiking... They hit the 1520's and if i keep on it moderately hard, up into the 1570 range... never to 1600.... then if i floor it when i'm at high 15's, the car will start to accelarate like mad, and actually watch the EGT's drop at same time to below 1470s... ??? that make any sense... other than 100% injection means more fuel and cooler temps... I know people say 1600 briefly is acceptable, but i prefer to stay far from it... If i'm cruising highway at 80MPH, 5th gear, on an 85 degree day, my EGT's sit at 1475 with little movement...

What specific temps are referencing when you say your EGT's are spiking very high?

#4 ·
Well, like you I do not allow my EGTs to go above 1580 as when it gets even close to that Temp I lay off the Throttle.

Being that you have an UTEC, and you will be able to change percentages and tweak here and there, your EGTs should be right on the money. Being that I have a UNICHIP with a Stage IV Shelf Map, and no access to a Unichip tuner w/ AWD Dyno, I am stuck where I am.

I also have the WOT my EGTs do not skyrocket. However, like I said, if I'm on the Highway and I try to floor it, my EGTs skyrocket before my Unichip decides to let the STI injectors do their thing.

As far as the install, yes TurboXS has a fully detailed install on all of their stages. Follow those directions and you shouldn't have much of a problem with anything, especially since you have all the tools you'll need. Have fun, and take a picture of your knuckles before you do the install, because you won't recognize them afterwards.

Blue

#7 ·
Yes sirs...

I indeed run a larger intercooler...

I've got the Hyperflow as sold by TXS for Stage 3.

I also run the DEI CO2 sprayer system... Runs liquid CO2 through an air intake "bulb" (intake air rushes over tear-drop shaped bulb and gets cooled) and then vents onto the intercooler...

All hooked up to my UTEC solenoid driver to spray at and above 10 psi. Or push button activation when desired. (also put a cool little red l.e.d. light on my dash that lights up when the solenoid driver activates the spray).

So hopefully i should be cool enough even on the hottest of days... supposed to be spraying at -100 F. Which is pretty darn cold. I've gotten out of the car before after running hard and popped the hood... felt all around... everywhere is super heat coming up out of the engine bay... but touch the intercooler sides, top, bottom, front, back... all cold to the touch. :D

Works better than water spray except you can't fill it at the faucet... but runs for about 3 minutes on 5lb bottle. (actually a good long time if you consider how long are you actually ever over 10psi-- farely short stints).... (i don't track often)... And i don't arm the system all the time. only when i plan to drive real hard, or the day is real hot.

#9 ·
Got it direct from DEI

www.designengineering.com

They make a handful of different "thermal tuning products" ...

If you like to do that setup on a tight budget, contact www.ntercoolertechniques.com ("i" is missing on purpose). DEI is corporate entity and sells patented products from production, there stuff looks real nice installed. (see a couple of photos of system on my ride inthe gallery).

ntercoolertechniques is just a private mechanic who will custom make a system for you upon request. Any shape and style sprayer you want for any intercooler. (does't sell the intake charger, but you could easily add that to any CO2 system once you pick up the tube piece from DEI and some extra hose line). If you don't the UTEC Solenoid driver, you can purcahse a Hobbs boost switch ($27 Napa auto parts) to activate the solenoid at a preset PSI level. (the full throttle trigger switch is included by DEI but doesn't fit to well with the WRX throttle body, so not really able to make that work). $8 to fill the 5lb bottle at a Welding supply store, Paint ball gun places can fill too, but charge more $$. Honestly, for the money i dropped on the system, you could be half way to picking up an oversize intercooler. But i had the itercooler, i wanted to go all out with the cooling of the system... (plus pepole drool over it at the car shows !Laugh! ) Of course also to think about your carrying around a 5lb pressurized bottle of gas i your trunk too. (safe and recommended for track use only). But hey, look at it this way... IF you car catches fie, and that bottle springs a leak, or the hose melts in the fire and bursts, its like having an automatic halon system under the hood. All that CO2 will do nothing but supress flames. (unlike NOS that will ignite like dead pine tree in hell).

well, hipe thats some more info for ya... check out the webstie, they've got CO2 cooled fuel rails too...

Ask me specific q's if you got any. here's one for you guys... Why are the Perrin upgraded fuel rails so darn expensive? What is the rating on those rails.. . (how are they differnet than stock, other than they flow more fuel faster)... how? are they bigger? 6AN or 8AN or what? What does the "AN" stand for? DEI has the CO2 cooled rails for like $120 in all different sizes. Why not just pick those up instead of the Perrin and get bigger rails and CO2 fuel cooling too... ???

Someone put this to rest for me please? Do i need the rails to run stage 4 TXS or what. Phil at TXS doesn't seem to think so. What about a fuel pressure regulator?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.